Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Windows Software

Old 08-14-2014, 08:53 AM   #1
SockThief

Default 2005pr incomplete install preventing upgrades

Hi!

this is a fairly standard issue it appears, from surfing through the forums, but I have yet to find the answer to my specific issue.

I have an HP 9470m (Win7 Enterprise / 64 bit) connected to an HP 3005pr into two Dell U2412m monitors. Monitor 1 (Primary on the left) is connected via Display Port, Monitor 2 (secondary/extended desktop, on the right) is connected via HDMI/Display Port cable.

After installing the drivers from the flash memory on the 3005pr, the machine rebooted and, no matter what I attempted, only Monitor 1 was detected.

Instructions were provided by our internal help desk, and in an attempt to solve the problem, they pointed me to instructions to install drivers for an L2311c, which, had in the past, fixed many problems. As I understand it, the L2311c is an SMSC based device - a fact I was unaware of at the time! The instructions to use this driver set could be based from a time when we also used HP 2005pr port replicators, which are also SMSC based.

I uninstalled the L2311c driver pack with the included uninstaller, and all the expected programs were no longer listed under Control Panel. Reinstalling the default drivers from the flash memory worked fine, and the checks from this thread (HOWTO: Debugging issues on Windows with DisplayLink: http://www.displaylink.org/forum/showthread.php?t=896) checked out ok. Except for the fact that my HDMI connected monitor was still not detected.

I then downloaded the latest drivers from HP (Released:2014-03-14
File name: sp65753.exe [1/1, 36.14M] Version7.5.54081.0 - full details here http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/s...em=ob-130028-1) and attempted to install them. I was then greeted with the common

DisplayLink has detected USB graphics software installed from a different vendor

Clicking the "more information" link takes me to a standard HP support page - not really much help!

I have then used the DisplayLink compatibility check tool, as per the countless other threads on this issue. Which produced the same outcome, that incompatible software is installed. I have attached the .log file to this post. Clicking the more information link here, takes me to this page (http://displaylink.com/support/ticket.php?id=358) pointing that there is SMSC drivers/software/services still running. I have followed the advice in the KB, and it has not solved the problem. All expected programs are uninstalled. As is the case with other vendors (and noted in other support cases/KBs) I suspect there is a service still running, but unsure which one.

Reinstalling the original drivers from the 3005pr was successful (due to being earlier than 7.5 and hence not having the compatibility check!)

Dual monitors was eventually solved by using an HDMI-DVI cable and running over DVI instead.

With some more searching, I noted that there was a DisplayLink End User Cleaner tool, which I ran, but it didn't fix anything!

Lastly, as per the How to Debug thread - I have run the DisplayLink Support Tool 1.0.0.20, unfortunately it crashes during the "Gather Support Information" phase.

So: My questions and needs:

1. How can the incompatible parts be removed? Analysis of Compatibility Log required
2. Is there any known issues with running monitors over HDMI?
3. Due to these issues being so common, is it possible for the Compatibility Tool to output plain text that is useful to an end user, rather than requiring to engage Display Link support, which is both a waste of DisplayLink's time and the users?
3.5: as it is common to require the DICompatCheck.log file, why doesn't the forum allow .log uploads or the check tool to create a .txt file?
4. I have been able to run 3x monitors : laptop builtin + 2x U2412m, however the laptop + 1 screen are only able to mirror each other, is it possible to extend the desktop across all three screens?

UPDATE: In attempting to replicate the issue and gather more logs, a new issue has occurred. Whilst installing the new software from HP, it fails stating that it is incompatible with this OS! An examination of the link for the software shows that to be incorrect, though. This would appear to be an HP problem, however the error points to a DisplayLink support page (See attachment). Also, as noted, I previously received a DisplayLink compatibility error, and the DisplayLink compatibility tool still fails as before.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Attachments:

HP Install Fail.PNG: Error being received when installing latest new HP Software. This error now appears in place of the compatibility check fail. After clicking "OK", 'DisplayLink Installer Error.PNG' is shown

DisplayLink Installer Error.PNG : Error #2 when attempting to install new HP Software (note the spelling error!)

DisplayLink Support Tool Crash.PNG : Screenshot of Support Tool crash

DlCompatCheck.log.txt : Compat Check log file as of posting.

Attachment Not Included: DisplayLink Support Files - please advise on how to provide these directly to DisplayLink as they contain information I do not wish to included in a public forum

------------------------------------------------------------------------
References Used During Troubleshooting:

http://www.displaylink.org/forum/showthread.php?t=896
http://displaylink.com/support/ticket.php?id=358
http://www.displaylink.com/support/ticket.php?id=356
http://community.spiceworks.com/topi...icator-problem
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/s...em=ob-130028-1
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DisplayLink Support Tool Crash.jpg (10.2 KB, 3 views)
File Type: png DisplayLink Installer Error.PNG (17.2 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg HP Install Fail.jpg (18.8 KB, 2 views)
Attached Files
File Type: txt DlCompatCheck.log.txt (19.2 KB, 6 views)
SockThief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 05:42 PM   #2
JamesH

Hi,

1. Click Start, click All Programs, and then click Accessories.
2. Right-click Command prompt, and then click Run as administrator.
3. Type "sc delete sgfxkhas" (without the quotes) and press Return
4. Reboot and you should be good to go.

Thanks,
James
JamesH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 08:50 AM   #3
SockThief

Hi James,

unfortunately that didn't work, the service doesn't exist

C:\>sc delete sgfxkhas
[SC] OpenService FAILED 1060:

The specified service does not exist as an installed service.
Old 09-01-2014, 07:19 AM   #4
SockThief

Hi James - any update on this issue?
Old 09-04-2014, 03:39 PM   #5
JamesH

Just checking now; apologies for the delay
Old 09-04-2014, 03:48 PM   #6
JamesH

Hi,

1. Click Start, click All Programs, and then click Accessories.
2. Right-click Command prompt, and then click Run as administrator.
3. Type "sc delete sgfxk" (without the quotes) and press Return
4. Reboot and you should be good to go.

Thanks,
James
Old 09-05-2014, 07:23 AM   #7
SockThief

Hi James,

that has fixed the issue - thanks

any comment on the other questions/points I raised?

Tags
2005pr, 3005pr, compatibility, hdmi, smsc