Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > Alpha, Beta Software Testing Programs > Closed Alpha and Beta Programs > CLOSED - Windows 10 Software

Old 08-18-2015, 07:15 PM   #21
robmc5

Another update, one of the other techs in our office installed the Windows 10 upgrade and used the StarTech USB32DVIPRO USB3 video adapters and it worked fine, he was using two of them, he also has a the same nVidia card in his laptop that I have...no problems. I ordered these adapters and tried it....guess what, I am still unable to open any Modern ui apps or the start menu. I am at a loss.....
Old 08-19-2015, 09:34 AM   #22
PaulJ

Hi robmc5,

Are you able to try completely uninstalling your DisplayLink software via Programs & Features and reinstalling? It's odd that your colleague has a working setup with the same GPU as you. Could you also check that you're both running the same nvidia drivers?

Thanks,
Paul
Old 08-19-2015, 07:28 PM   #23
robmc5

Hey Paul,

Thanks for staying with this, I have uninstalled Display Link and even run the support tool. I also did a clean install and ran nothing but the Display Link drivers. My co-worker has a NVidia Quatro Pro m880 card and I am running the K1000m. I have updated the drivers for that as well as my dock. I also tried the Display Link Driver without the dock and I get the same error. I have three other users here that have the same problem, but there are some that don't have it.

I purchased the StarTech adapters (that is what one of my co-workers is using) and I have the same problem with those adapters. I know this not a huge issue, I just have to use 2 displays instead of 4, but managing 25 techs and over 2000 endpoints those other two monitors are invaluable.....

If you would like to correspond via email please let me know. Thanks again for helping with this issue.
Old 08-20-2015, 01:34 PM   #24
PaulJ

This is a bit of a guess at the moment and please don't rush into trying this until you're happy you can recover if this goes wrong - i.e. you may need to get into Windows to uninstall your DisplayLink software.

Can you try either deleting or, if Windows doesn't let you delete, renaming the dlumdfb*.dll files in c:\windows\system32? I would also do the ones in c:\windows\syswow64 if you have a 64bit OS installed. After that reboot and see what happens. As stated initially there is a chance this could break your DisplayLink installation so you may need to boot in safe mode or recovery mode to recover although I think the chances are slim.

If you feel like trying it please do and let us know how it goes.
Old 08-20-2015, 02:14 PM   #25
robmc5

Paul, I tried what you suggested. I did not have the Display Link drivers installed, I renamed both dlumdfb*.dll files and rebooted. I then installed the Display Link 7.9 Driver and rebooted again. After reboot Edge stopped working, along with the Start menu and all Modern UI applications.

When I run the applications this is the error that shows in the log when I try to run Edge -

Activation of app Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe!MicrosoftEdg e failed with error: The remote procedure call failed. See the Microsoft-Windows-TWinUI/Operational log for additional information.

Here is the Cortana error -

Activation of app Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy!CortanaUI failed with error: The remote procedure call failed. See the Microsoft-Windows-TWinUI/Operational log for additional information.

I then uninstalled the DisplayLink software and rebooted and everything works fine.
Old 08-20-2015, 02:15 PM   #26
PaulJ

Can you try the renaming again now you have the software installed?
Old 08-20-2015, 09:54 PM   #27
robmc5

Paul, thanksfor the suggestion.... I tried that, I actually deleted the files -

dlumdfb9.dll
dlumdfb10.dll
dlumdfb11.dll

Rebooted and tried calculator....same error.

Activation of app Microsoft.WindowsCalculator_8wekyb3d8bbwe!App failed with error: The remote procedure call failed. See the Microsoft-Windows-TWinUI/Operational log for additional information.
Old 08-20-2015, 11:55 PM   #28
lokinz

Quote:
Originally Posted by robmc5 View Post
Paul, thanksfor the suggestion.... I tried that, I actually deleted the files -

dlumdfb9.dll
dlumdfb10.dll
dlumdfb11.dll

Rebooted and tried calculator....same error.

Activation of app Microsoft.WindowsCalculator_8wekyb3d8bbwe!App failed with error: The remote procedure call failed. See the Microsoft-Windows-TWinUI/Operational log for additional information.
Did you check to see if they are actually gone? After I restarted the dlls had been restored. I haven't had a chance to go any further with this yet as it's a work machine, and I have work to do .
Old 08-21-2015, 01:06 PM   #29
robmc5

The .dll's were gone but as soon as I installed the Display Link drivers they were back.
Old 08-21-2015, 01:09 PM   #30
PaulJ

I typed a reply to this thread but it seems to have been lost somehow.

Regardless, what you've seen with the deleted dlls returning is expected. We've done a bit more investigating here and it seems this is not the cause of this issue so I suggest there's no need to delete/rename these dlls to see if it helps.

More when we have it...