Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Mac Software

Old 12-20-2020, 07:33 PM   #11
helixpt

Solved

Guys, although I wasn't able to find both files as reported in the previous post, I was indeed able to fix the issue. I'm not recommending this solution since it's a nuclear approach, but it worked nonetheless.

It makes total sense to me that should be some file stuck with preferences after attempting to rotate the screen. Something (resolution, window position, wtv, gets recorded in a way after attempting to rotate de DisplayLink controlled display, that makes something in the OS crash. Then you're logged out.

Since I only was able to find 1 of 2 files reported in this topic and was ready to format the machine if fixed, I backed up the complete preferences folder and deleted everything I could (the OS doesn't allow the deletion of only 2 files), and rebooted.

Surprise surprise, the next time I logged in, opened DisplayLink, connected the dongle and it was fixed for good.

Ideally, the next step will be for the DisplayLink team to at least make a script to find those preference files and auto-delete them for all those that encounter this issue go back to a functioning device ASAP, until the driver properly supports rotation on M1 Macs running Big Sur.

Keep up the great work.
helixpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 06:24 AM   #12
pecham202020

Default System Crashes

I also have an M1 Mac with Displaylink 1.2 installed. As soon as I open Displaylink Manager the computer crashes. Then I log in again and since Displaylink Manager is set to open at login I end up in a reboot cycle. So the only solution is to either disconnect the adapter or to uninstall Displaylink Manager. For now I have uninstalled Displaylink Manager.

I have not tried any of the proposed solutions.
pecham202020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 12:06 AM   #13
pecham202020

Quote:
Originally Posted by pecham202020 View Post
I also have an M1 Mac with Displaylink 1.2 installed. As soon as I open Displaylink Manager the computer crashes. Then I log in again and since Displaylink Manager is set to open at login I end up in a reboot cycle. So the only solution is to either disconnect the adapter or to uninstall Displaylink Manager. For now I have uninstalled Displaylink Manager.

I have not tried any of the proposed solutions.
I have now tried the proposed solution and removed the plist files. My M1 Mac still crashes upon the launch of DisplayLink Manager.
Old 01-20-2021, 06:17 AM   #14
pecham202020

Any update?
Old 02-02-2021, 06:30 AM   #15
pecham202020

Has anyone found a fix to this?
Old 04-14-2021, 04:00 PM   #16
hlitgtg

Default Solved

Had the exact same problem. Solved with the method from this post by jailbreak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jailbreak View Post
The steps from the first post DID work for me (I rotated a display on M1 and found out it didn't work), here's what I did to recover:
  • unplugged the docking station
  • removed TWO files - yes there are two files: one is in system-wide /Library/Preferences, and the other is in your home directory - note the "~" character in beginning of the path!
  • rebooted
  • reconnected the dock, all works fine in landscape mode

Paste below line in the Terminal and hit Enter to see exact locations of files you need to remove:
Code:
for f in /Library/Preferences/com.apple.windowserver* ~/Library/Preferences/ByHost/com.apple.windowserver*; do echo $f; done
Hope this helps.....
hlitgtg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 12:19 AM   #17
valdirjrpv

Guys, so even with version 1.3, I can't even try to rotate the monitor? Risky? Still, do we have support? MAKES MONTHS ... = (
valdirjrpv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 02:41 PM   #18
KatarzynaCzaja
DisplayLink Tech Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by valdirjrpv View Post
Guys, so even with version 1.3, I can't even try to rotate the monitor? Risky? Still, do we have support? MAKES MONTHS ... = (
Rotation currently requires an Intel-based computer on macOS Big Sur 11.0 and later.
Display rotation is yet available on computers using Apple M1 silicon. This feature is under development.

For anyone having issues with the logouts please make sure that with M1 computers you do not have any of your screens rotated.

We have received reports of crashes and subsequent user logouts on MacOS machines with M1 chips, usually triggered by setting screen rotation.
  1. If you are experiencing such issues, please do the following:
  2. Unplug the dock and restart your machine to make it operational again.
  3. Download fixing script from our website: Reset macOS display persistence.
  4. Unpack the archive, so that you have ResetDisplayPrefs v1.20.command in your Downloads folder.
  5. Run Terminal and execute these commands to run the script:
    HTML Code:
    cd ~/Downloads
    chmod +x ResetDisplayPrefs\ v1.20.command
    sudo ./ResetDisplayPrefs\ v1.20.command
  6. The script has to be run with administrator privileges, this is required to forcefully delete defective system settings. Type in your password and press enter.
  7. The script will display list of display-related settings files that will be deleted and will ask for confirmation before proceeding.
  8. After confirmation the script will delete those files, forcing MacOS to recreate them from scratch.
  9. After the script finishes it will ask you to reboot your machine. You can plug in your dock after reboot and the issue should be resolved.

Best regards,
Katarzyna

Last edited by KatarzynaCzaja; 10-13-2022 at 09:23 AM.
KatarzynaCzaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 12:39 PM   #19
rboerner
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatarzynaKowalczyk View Post
Rotation currently requires an Intel-based computer on macOS Big Sur 11.0 and later.
Display rotation is yet available on computers using Apple M1 silicon. This feature is under development.

For anyone having issues with the logouts please make sure that with M1 computers you do not have any of your screens rotated.

We have received reports of crashes and subsequent user logouts on MacOS machines with M1 chips, usually triggered by setting screen rotation.
  1. If you are experiencing such issues, please do the following:
  2. Unplug the dock and restart your machine to make it operational again.
  3. Download fixing script from our website: Reset macOS display persistence.
  4. Unpack the archive, so that you have ResetDisplayPrefs v1.20.command in your Downloads folder.
  5. Run Terminal and execute these commands to run the script:
    HTML Code:
    cd ~/Downloads
    chmod +x ResetDisplayPrefs\ v1.20.command
    sudo ./ResetDisplayPrefs\ v1.20.command
  6. The script has to be run with administrator privileges, this is required to forcefully delete defective system settings. Type in your password and press enter.
  7. The script will display list of display-related settings files that will be deleted and will ask for confirmation before proceeding.
  8. After confirmation the script will delete those files, forcing MacOS to recreate them from scratch.
  9. After the script finishes it will ask you to reboot your machine. You can plug in your dock after reboot and the issue should be resolved.

Best regards,
Katarzyna
The post above mentions a script to download, however it does not include a download link.

I am aware of a link to download version 1.10 of the Reset Display Persistence script --> https://www.displaylink.com/downloads/file?d=145

However the instructions from DisplayLink mention version 1.20. Is there an updated link available to the version DisplayLink mentions?
rboerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 10:54 AM   #20
KatarzynaCzaja
DisplayLink Tech Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rboerner View Post
The post above mentions a script to download, however it does not include a download link.

I am aware of a link to download version 1.10 of the Reset Display Persistence script --> https://www.displaylink.com/downloads/file?d=145

However the instructions from DisplayLink mention version 1.20. Is there an updated link available to the version DisplayLink mentions?
Thank you for pointing that out, I corrected the post and added the link.

Last edited by KatarzynaCzaja; 10-13-2022 at 09:25 AM.
KatarzynaCzaja is offline   Reply With Quote