Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Mac Software
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2019, 10:02 AM   #1
kandrei

Default MacOS Catalina and D6000 - No charging

MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2018) & DELL D6000... after upgrading to MacOS Catalina, the dock doesn't charge the laptop. When connecting the dock, there is the regular "chime" notifying that charging has started but then the system continues to discharge. System Information > Power also shows "AC Charger Connected: YES" and "Charging: No".

AC Charger Information:

Connected: Yes
ID: 0x0000
Wattage (W): 63
Family: 0xe000400a
Charging: No

Connecting a regular AC Adapter works, the laptop charges as it should.

D6000 Driver Used: 5.2.1 Beta 3 (with the Kextcache clear done because only one monitor out of two were working after driver upgrade).

The only "solution" I've found for this is to connect a regular AC adapter, wait until charging has started, then disconnect it and quickly (2-3 sec) connect the D6000. In this situation the charging works, until of course you disconnect the cable for more than 5 seconds

Update: apparently the power supplied in this mode is not enough, if the CPU usage is high (and the Radeon GPU in use) then the system starts discharging, and after the cpu usage returns to normal the system is charging again.

Does anyone know a more permanent fix?

Thanks.

Last edited by kandrei; 10-21-2019 at 10:22 AM.
kandrei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 12:30 AM   #2
freudsam

Exactly the same issue here. Using the beta 3 as well.
MBP 2019 15".
freudsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 07:29 AM   #3
iCodeOkay

Same issue here with a 2019 15" MBP (i9).

Worked perfectly fine until I upgraded to Catalina + latest DisplayLink drivers.
iCodeOkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 07:54 AM   #4
kandrei

Weird stuff... today it worked without any special things except I did a shutdown before (because the keyboard and touchpad weren't working ). So... now it charges, with quite some power (coconut battery shows 25.6w @ 91% charge).
Old 10-22-2019, 03:53 PM   #5
freudsam

Charging at 25.6w is not enough for MBP 15". You should see battery % still decreases after a short while.

Mine shows the charger is connected but is only charging from 17.5w to 55 w, inconsistently. The dock is not charging MBP properly.

Dell please fix this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandrei View Post
Weird stuff... today it worked without any special things except I did a shutdown before (because the keyboard and touchpad weren't working ). So... now it charges, with quite some power (coconut battery shows 25.6w @ 91% charge).
Old 10-23-2019, 03:41 AM   #6
kandrei

It was a happy case that it was charging After the laptop entered Sleep state... it didn't want to charge anymore. After I plugged in a MBP charger to start charging and then removed it, the dock continued to charge the laptop without a problem.

Now, regarding the Watts... the value was low because the laptop was almost full. At 91% the laptop doesn't charge as fast as when it's at 30% for example.
Old 10-23-2019, 06:39 PM   #7
iCodeOkay

So I think I've fixed it on my 2019 MBP (i9).

I upgraded the firmware of the Dell D6000 using my Surface Laptop, and then connected the dock to the MBP and it's charging.

You can download the "Dell Universal Dock (D6000) Firmware Update Utility" from Dell's support site.

Looks like you can only update the firmware from a Windows Device though.
iCodeOkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 01:57 PM   #8
freudsam

Same here. After updating the D6000 to latest firmware the problem is solved.