Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Mac Software

Old 06-13-2021, 02:12 PM   #1
2020vision

Default Your screen is being observed

Hi. Ever since I upgraded to Big Sur I get a notification on my lock screen "Your screen is being observed." Who is observing my screen and why is that message there? I didn't get this message on Catalina.

I'm the only user and administrator of the Mac.
2020vision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 12:09 PM   #2
rboerner
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2020vision View Post
Hi. Ever since I upgraded to Big Sur I get a notification on my lock screen "Your screen is being observed." Who is observing my screen and why is that message there? I didn't get this message on Catalina.

I'm the only user and administrator of the Mac.
This is the result of the 'Screen Recording' permission that needs to be granted within the macOS Privacy settings. DisplayLink speaks to this in more detail here --> https://support.displaylink.com/know...ntroduction-in

To quote from that page:

"NOTE: macOS Catalina 10.15 requires the user to permit "Screen Recording" in order for DisplayLink devices to work properly. The message is generated by the OS and the screen is not actually being recorded by DisplayLink. Approving it enables the DisplayLink driver to access the pixels it needs to render a mirrored or extended screen and send the pixels over USB from your computer to the DisplayLink display. DisplayLink Manager does not store or record any screen content."
rboerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 07:47 PM   #3
HarryR

Quote:
Originally Posted by rboerner View Post
This is the result of the 'Screen Recording' permission that needs to be granted within the macOS Privacy settings. DisplayLink speaks to this in more detail here --> https://support.displaylink.com/know...ntroduction-in

To quote from that page:

"NOTE: macOS Catalina 10.15 requires the user to permit "Screen Recording" in order for DisplayLink devices to work properly. The message is generated by the OS and the screen is not actually being recorded by DisplayLink. Approving it enables the DisplayLink driver to access the pixels it needs to render a mirrored or extended screen and send the pixels over USB from your computer to the DisplayLink display. DisplayLink Manager does not store or record any screen content."

DisplayLink - you do realize that this new permission is affecting the native Mac OS in that it will not allow my Apple Watch to unlock my Macbook? I think this is a permission that needs to be addressed and handled differently.
HarryR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 02:25 AM   #4
Alej

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryR View Post
DisplayLink - you do realize that this new permission is affecting the native Mac OS in that it will not allow my Apple Watch to unlock my Macbook? I think this is a permission that needs to be addressed and handled differently.
Seconded.
This is something that maybe DisplayLink and Co devs could bring and work with Apple itself. I also use Duet to connect an old legacy iPad Air as yet another extra screen and since it needs "screen recording" permissions it also blocks the convenient unlock via the Apple Watch.
Alej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2023, 08:44 PM   #5
DE_Don

Default Has this ever been addressed?

I can confirm that there is still an issue with DisplayLink and unlock with Apple Watch on a Mac running Ventura 13.4. Why can't we have both DisplayLink and Apple Watch?
DE_Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2023, 11:57 AM   #6
rboerner
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DE_Don View Post
I can confirm that there is still an issue with DisplayLink and unlock with Apple Watch on a Mac running Ventura 13.4. Why can't we have both DisplayLink and Apple Watch?
The ability to unlock the Mac via an Apple Watch is possible if you enable the feature in the DisplayLink Manager Application.

Please see DisplayLink's knowledge base article on the topic here --> https://support.displaylink.com/know...book-with-disp
rboerner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
observed, opsec