Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Mac Software

Old 10-31-2021, 09:57 PM   #1
Nystera

Unhappy Dell D6000 not recognizing usb ports (both A and C) in Monterey

Hi all,

Made a recent purchase to try out the multi display feature with D6000

Multi display works fine on my MacBook Pro 13 M1, but a (very) jarring issue is that the D6000 is unable to recognize any peripherals through all 4 USB-A ports and even USB-C.

It charges fine through them, but I’m unable to use a mouse or a keyboard. I tried connecting a usb adapter onto the free port of my Macbook, and the peripherals work fine. Even tried connecting the usb adapter with the usbC port but it doesnt seem to recognize.

Have tried the following:
- Updating D6000 drivers on my windows pc (port works there so i know is the drivers communicating with mac issue)
- Reinstalling DisplayLink
- Replugging them in all orders (power>usbA>display, power>Displays>usba)
-turning power on and off again

Managed to get it to work once, but taking the cable out and in again replicates this issue and I was unable to get it to work again.

Version used:
-Mac Monterey 12.0.1 (the earliest avail to public i believe)
- DisplayLink 1.5
Nystera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 10:01 PM   #2
adrianl

Hi,

I had a similar issue when I upgraded it to Monterrey but after I allowed it System Extensions in Security & Privacy preferences they disappeared it.

I hope it would be useful for you
Adrian
adrianl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 09:35 PM   #3
pitrisss

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrianl View Post
Hi,

I had a similar issue when I upgraded it to Monterrey but after I allowed it System Extensions in Security & Privacy preferences they disappeared it.

I hope it would be useful for you
Adrian
Hello, could you please describe step by step what you did to solve this? I don't see any option like that in security and privacy. Thank you
pitrisss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 10:44 AM   #4
ojobson

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitrisss View Post
Hello, could you please describe step by step what you did to solve this? I don't see any option like that in security and privacy. Thank you

It will be similar to instructions here:

https://support.displaylink.com/know...ing-permission

I also had some issues with ports not working, and I had to do a reset of the SMC.

On an M1 Mac you have to turn it off, disconnect from power and close the lid for 30 seconds.
This kinda worked but I ended up re-installing MacOS via non-destructive install via system restore. Bit of a pain but all working fine now. I guess a Kext didn't get installed properly, perhaps?

Maybe make sure that all peripherals are unplugged if you need to do the reinstall step as I didn't do that when I first upgraded.
ojobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 04:09 PM   #5
pitrisss

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojobson View Post
It will be similar to instructions here:

https://support.displaylink.com/know...ing-permission

I also had some issues with ports not working, and I had to do a reset of the SMC.

On an M1 Mac you have to turn it off, disconnect from power and close the lid for 30 seconds.
This kinda worked but I ended up re-installing MacOS via non-destructive install via system restore. Bit of a pain but all working fine now. I guess a Kext didn't get installed properly, perhaps?

Maybe make sure that all peripherals are unplugged if you need to do the reinstall step as I didn't do that when I first upgraded.
AFAIK mac m1 doesn't have SMC.
pitrisss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2021, 08:46 AM   #6
ojobson

No, it doesn't, you are correct. Apple advised me there is a sort of equivalent to it and as per my post this is reset by:

ojobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 12:50 AM   #7
thepouya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nystera View Post
Hi all,

Made a recent purchase to try out the multi display feature with D6000

Multi display works fine on my MacBook Pro 13 M1, but a (very) jarring issue is that the D6000 is unable to recognize any peripherals through all 4 USB-A ports and even USB-C.

It charges fine through them, but I’m unable to use a mouse or a keyboard. I tried connecting a usb adapter onto the free port of my Macbook, and the peripherals work fine. Even tried connecting the usb adapter with the usbC port but it doesnt seem to recognize.

Have tried the following:
- Updating D6000 drivers on my windows pc (port works there so i know is the drivers communicating with mac issue)
- Reinstalling DisplayLink
- Replugging them in all orders (power>usbA>display, power>Displays>usba)
-turning power on and off again

Managed to get it to work once, but taking the cable out and in again replicates this issue and I was unable to get it to work again.

Version used:
-Mac Monterey 12.0.1 (the earliest avail to public i believe)
- DisplayLink 1.5
Did you find a solution to this problem? I am having the same issue. Thanks!
thepouya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 07:52 PM   #8
keith_smith

I'm also having this problem and I've noticed the following:
  • The problem seems to manifest after a number of disconnect and reconnect cycles of the USB cable to the computer.
  • I've been able to 'reset' the ports back to working by disconnecting it form the computer, unplugging the power on the D6000, and then leaving it unplugged for a few hours. NB: a short power cycle doesn't do it, but a very long one seems to.

YMMV. Not a fix, but perhaps the workaround will help someone...
keith_smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 02:28 AM   #9
me@nicolevincent.net

I've just managed to get my Dell D6000 dock to work seamlessly on my MacBook Air M1 running macOS Monterey 12.2, so I thought I'd share the three steps (see points 3-5, below) you'll need to take to get yours fully functional (obviously there are differences between systems, but it worked a charm for me; and if your D6000 is bricked, make that five steps (see points 1 and 2, below).

But first, two caveats and a short background before the instructions... or scroll down if you don't care and just want the instructions; I won't know.

First caveat: I'm offering advice, not taking responsibility for what you do; I hope it works for you, but please don't take the steps below unless you accept responsibility for the consequences; I had to take responsibility for my own actions, and I expect others will use their head and take their responsibility; so what follows is simply a re-run of what I did, which worked for me, in the hope that it will help others too.

Second caveat: To de-brick my D6000, I needed to get my hands on a Windows machine because I couldn't find a way to do it from my MacBook Air M1. Thankfully, my Raspberry Pi 400 running Windows 11 [very slowly LOL] sufficed. I don't think it's possible to de-brick a D6000 without a Windows machine, but if I'm wrong about this then I'd appreciate any suggestions for macOS users.

Now for the background. I brought the Dell D6000 home from work because (a) we're all working from home anyway with Omicron circulating, and (b) it was sitting there, dead as a doorknob, completely non-functional and disconnected from the wall plug, cables everywhere, and nobody cared or had a clue how to get it to work. Needless to say it was about to become landfill. I really didn't like that thought, so I took it home and plodded away each week after work for a couple of weeks, and eventually after some 20-30 hrs (I'm persistent) I resuscitated it, took it through rehab, and now it's as good as new! *\o/*

How bricked was it? Totally bricked! Interestingly, the HDMI port worked, but I assume it is just a pass-through from the MacBook M1's Thunderbolt port to which it was connected. (Honestly, though, this is just my guess, so I'd be interested to know from someone who knows more than I do why the HDMI port was the only functioning port on the entire device.) Otherwise, nothing else worked. No signal on either of the two DisplayPort ports. No sign of life from any of the USB ports — both the rectangular USB-A style ports on the front and back, and the round USB-C / Thunderbolt port on the front, were all completely dead. (Pity I didn't test the sound out jack, or the ethernet connector.)

I'll skip the rest of the story, and cut to the instructions, but if you're interested then further below you'll find that I've elaborated on some points.

De-Bricking my Dell D6000 in Two Steps

Here's how I de-bricked my Dell D6000, for which I had to use a machine running Windows because I couldn't find any instructions for macOS systems. Thankfully, Microsoft has made Windows 11 available for ARM-based processors, so I installed an evaluation copy on my Raspberry Pi 400 and that gave me my Windows machine. The two instructions that follow are intended for Windows, and I'm sorry that I haven't found instructions for how to accomplish this on a Mac (if someone else knows how to do this, please post a follow-up to this message with info):
  1. Head to https://www.synaptics.com/products/d...lation-cleaner and download and run the Synaptics DisplayLink Installation Cleaner for Windows. (Just follow the instructions provided there.)
  2. Then head over to https://www.dell.com/support/home/en...sal-dock-d6000 to download and run the Dell Universal Dock (D6000) Firmware Update Utility (again, please follow the instructions provided there).

That's it. Your Dell D600 docking station should now be de-bricked, and have the latest firmware installed on it. But until I installed the right software on my Mac, I still couldn't get anything more than the single HDMI video out port to work (which worked when it was bricked anyway). So here's how I got the two DisplayPort video ports and all of the USB ports working as well (and indeed the sound and ethernet, but I never tested them to see if they worked while the D6000 was bricked, so I can't tell if this changed or not, but in any case they work now too).

Restoring DisplayPort, USB, and Other Ports' Functionality on macOS Monterey 12.2

Here is the software I installed to get the remaining ports to work on my MacBook M1. Points 3 and 4 were needed to get video from the DislayPort ports, and point 5 was needed to get USB working.
  1. install the DisplayLink Manager USB Graphics Connectivity software from https://www.synaptics.com/products/d...ownloads/macos and restart your system;
  2. install the DisplayLink Login Screen Extension software — the download link to it is contained directly in the DisplayLink Manager app itself, as per the instructions at https://support.displaylink.com/know...apple-m1-on-m;
  3. finally, to enable the USB / Thunderbolt ports, I used drivers distributed by Elgato (yup, you read that right) from https://www.elgato.com/en/dock/thunderbolt-3-pro and I think I again re-started my system after installation.

With this software installed, all ports on my Dell D6000 are now functional, and the landfill is one tiny bit smaller. And it's an awesome expansion dock — love the ability to connect several external monitors on my MacBook Air M1, and the new DisplayLink software from Synaptics even has the functionality to swivel your monitor into portrait mode in either direction — thank you, Synaptics, for implementing this feature.

Notes and Musings

Why am I suggesting you install the Elgato device drivers, given that we're working with a DELL docking station? In a nutshell, with the Synaptics DisplayLink software installed, I still couldn't use any of the USB / Thunderbolt ports on the D6000, so I figured there must be another chipset in the D6000 which provides the USB hub functionality. So I started up System Report – i.e. Apple menu --> About This Mac --> System Report... – and under Hardware --> USB I found that there was a Genesys Logic chipset in there. So I copied the info for the Genesys Logic chipset together with a few search terms like "usb driver macos" into a Google search, and up came Elgato. Kinda embarrassingly simple, but that's literally what led me to try out their drivers, and once I installed the Elgato software at point 5 above, after rebooting the whole Dell D6000 was functional again!

I hope this is helpful to someone out there. It was frustrating as all hell to get it to work, and if it saves you time then I'm glad.

If you have an easier way to do what I did above, please post to this thread? It took me a couple of hours to type this up including getting the info together, but having invested all that time I'd much rather others benefit too. So if you know of a simpler method, please spare a few minutes to share it with us, k?

And if you use the instructions above and you get your Dell D6000 working with your Mac, then please post to say so. It will make me smile. Or if you see something I need to correct, again please post so I can edit my posting and correct whatever it is that you point out.

Thanks heaps, y'all.

Cheers

Nicole
me@nicolevincent.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2022, 03:35 AM   #10
Nystera

Default Got it to work (kinda)

Hi all,

Sorry for the late update, I have been working with a separate dongle the whole time, and couldn't be bothered to find a fix (after tirelessly looking for solutions).

However, I have good news (kinda) on a workaround such that I can consistently get it to work. Thanks @nicolevincent.net for the advice

Basically I followed Nicole steps (look at the previous reply to this thread), but it is still very inconsistent; however the unintended behaviours can be mitigated. In general, unplugging the docker, restarting the docker, and replugging it seems to work.

Here are the workflows that worked for me (both when laptop is either OFF or SLEEP initially):
  • Laptop initially OFF: Docker OFF + CONNECTED -> Docker ON + CONNECTED -> Laptop ON (most consistent, works almost 100% of the time)
  • Laptop initially SLEEP: Docker OFF + DISCONNECTED -> Laptop WAKE -> Docker ON + DISCONNECTED -> Docker ON + CONNECTED (NOT consistent, got it to work a few times but more than not it fails)
  • Laptop ANY STATE: Have separate dongle with (type USB-A) plugged into laptop -> connect docker into said dongle [Works all the time, with the exception that you need a separate charger now]

I'm also as equally disappointed as you guys that such an expensive docker still has issues, but until I decide to upgrade my laptop or docker, this will do.

Hope this helps for you as well!

Last edited by Nystera; 02-11-2022 at 03:49 AM.
Nystera is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
d6000, issue, issues, ports, usb