Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Windows Software

Old 12-26-2019, 03:17 PM   #1
CReeves

Default Error installing new driver: "Cannot remove old driver. "Plus performance issues.

Hi there,
Starting today, I've noticed an extreme impact in system performance when my DisplayLink is plugged in. I locked my desktop and the screensaver came up. The system would fail to resume. I powered off and on again, and now I can't use my Displaylink without the computer slowing way down. No idea why. If I boot up without the DisplayLink plugged in, it's fine. As soon as I plug it in, or boot with it plugged in, it's slowdown city. So I thought I'd reinstall the driver to troubleshoot.

I last updated the driver in January, so I thought to install a newer version. When I install the new driver, I get a basic message that says "The older version of the driver cannot be installed. Contact your technical group." Oops...I am the technical group.

I then tried to uninstall the previous driver manually. I get this: The file "c:\users\creeves\appdata\local\temp\(lots of numbers)\DisplaylinkIDD.msi cannot be found. Verify that you have access to this location and try again, or try to find the installation package "DisplaylinkIDD.msi" in a folder from which you can install the product DisplayLink Graphics Driver.

I opened the driver installation executable with 7zip to see if I could find displaylinkidd.msi, but no luck .

Last edited by CReeves; 12-26-2019 at 03:20 PM.
CReeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 01:28 PM   #2
AlbanRampon

Hello,

Thank you for the report.
Can you please provide the logs? The last link of my signature describe how to use the tool and you can post the logs with your reply here.
Only DisplayLink staff can download them.

Kind regards,
Alban

Where to download the latest DisplayLink drivers
How to clean up a corrupted installation
How to report issues to DisplayLink for a speedy resolution
AlbanRampon is offline   Reply With Quote