Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Mac Software

Old 11-17-2021, 03:43 AM   #11
russ-codes

I've kept things constructive in the past and will continue doing so.

I came here to express my experience as a multi-year DisplayLink user. It's been quite the roller coaster! I was here for the original drivers before DLM. I remember the excitement of DLM's first release knowing DL was heading in a healthier direction for macs despite a temporary setback in feature set versus the legacy drivers. I remember the excitement of the 1.4 release where for the first time my intel mac supported appropriate rotational support.

GREAT SUCCESS!

I write this response today from my brand new shiny M1 mac. I write this post from my main monitor which sits right next to my rotated secondary. Black. Unusuable. I do understand this is well documented in the release notes.

For 2 years I have owned a quad 4k Targus dock (DOCK190USZ) advertised as being able to run 4 independent 4k displays. A brief 3 months I was able to leverage my rotated display. I have a third monitor, in a box, never opened because it too would be oriented portrait, unusable.

DisplayLink, I've been with you on this journey for years. Patient. Constructive.

Simply put, your customers need rotational support. We've needed it for a long time. I understand the nature of writing common software. I appreciate the complexity bred when writing solutions for all hardware out there. I understand the nature of an NDA and how it ties your hands (and zips your lips).

All I can do is express my experience - and plead.
If there is anything you can do internally to raise the priority of this feature, please do.
If there is anything you can implement as an MVP solution, please do.
If there is anything you can do to accelerate the NDA solution, please do.

Please help us.
russ-codes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 12:04 PM   #12
rboerner
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ-codes View Post
I've kept things constructive in the past and will continue doing so.

I came here to express my experience as a multi-year DisplayLink user. It's been quite the roller coaster! I was here for the original drivers before DLM. I remember the excitement of DLM's first release knowing DL was heading in a healthier direction for macs despite a temporary setback in feature set versus the legacy drivers. I remember the excitement of the 1.4 release where for the first time my intel mac supported appropriate rotational support.

GREAT SUCCESS!

I write this response today from my brand new shiny M1 mac. I write this post from my main monitor which sits right next to my rotated secondary. Black. Unusuable. I do understand this is well documented in the release notes.

For 2 years I have owned a quad 4k Targus dock (DOCK190USZ) advertised as being able to run 4 independent 4k displays. A brief 3 months I was able to leverage my rotated display. I have a third monitor, in a box, never opened because it too would be oriented portrait, unusable.

DisplayLink, I've been with you on this journey for years. Patient. Constructive.

Simply put, your customers need rotational support. We've needed it for a long time. I understand the nature of writing common software. I appreciate the complexity bred when writing solutions for all hardware out there. I understand the nature of an NDA and how it ties your hands (and zips your lips).

All I can do is express my experience - and plead.
If there is anything you can do internally to raise the priority of this feature, please do.
If there is anything you can implement as an MVP solution, please do.
If there is anything you can do to accelerate the NDA solution, please do.

Please help us.
Just in case you were not aware, DisplayLink has stated here --> https://support.displaylink.com/foru...ion-on-m1-macs that rotation support for M1 Macs is coming in the next release of DisplayLink Manager version 1.6
rboerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 02:55 PM   #13
russ-codes

Quote:
Originally Posted by rboerner View Post
Just in case you were not aware, DisplayLink has stated here --> https://support.displaylink.com/foru...ion-on-m1-macs that rotation support for M1 Macs is coming in the next release of DisplayLink Manager version 1.6
I was not aware, thank you! The best part of that announcement is there is an ETA. Can't wait for the end of November! Woohoo!

Do we know if this version of rotation support will be the "fast" version?
(The legacy drivers seemed to initially have almost an emulated style of performance that was very slow and hampered frame rate a great deal).

Great news! Can't wait for release! Like an early Christmas present.
russ-codes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 06:33 PM   #14
jbl

Lightbulb Rotation

Hi guys, you must have thinking error, just as I did initially.

I got StarTech USB3.0 to HDMI DisplayLink Adapter. I installed DisplayLink software and connected my 3rd display to new adapter. Display was blank, because rotated 90 degree. Went online and found this thread. Read through, noticed rotation is not supported. hm... Did I find too late and must I return the adapter, accepting I have to live with 3rd display over Wi-Fi limited to Full HD resolution?
NO !!!
Then I realized, that I can natively connect ONE external display to my MacBook Pro M1 - so I made my rotated display this native (aka first) external display, using generic Thunderbolt 3 / USB-C dock) over HDMI.
THEN I connected my normal (no rotation) second external display (3rd in total counting built-in Retina) using DisplayLink and viola - all works as wished, problem solved
picture

..so, as long as you do not need two (2) external displays AND both of them rotated, you are all set and good to go with DisplayLink current solution.

Last edited by jbl; 11-25-2021 at 06:46 PM.
jbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 12:20 PM   #15
JakubDabrowski
DisplayLink Tech Support

Hi russ-codes,

Thank you for your great feedback!

Indeed, 1.6 version will support rotation for M1 Macbooks on Monterey OS.

As for your question, yes we may call it a "fast" version as it takes few seconds to rotate the screen which then operates as a normal display. We did not see any extensive lags with a regular usage.

We are thrilled to finally deliver rotation for our users on both Intel and M1 Macs!

Kind regards,
Jakub
JakubDabrowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 02:52 PM   #16
Pleaserotatem1

Exclamation 1.6 Beta Rotation?

I'm on the beta but still do not have an option to rotate.
We've been waiting for this update for over a year. Please provide clearer instructions.
Pleaserotatem1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 03:52 PM   #17
occino@gmx.de

You can find the option behind the the icon in the menu bar.

Thanks for finally releasing this feature.

Last edited by occino@gmx.de; 11-28-2021 at 01:04 PM.
occino@gmx.de is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 09:57 AM   #18
ojobson

Default All working fine on M1!

Just installed the beta on 2020 M1 MBP with MacOS 12.01 - Works great on 90 degree rotation as 3rd display and also seems to work fine switching to and from clamshell mode too!

I am using a Dell D6000 dock to Dell U2414H alongside my U3219Q (which is plugged separately in to my MBP).

Last edited by ojobson; 11-29-2021 at 10:16 AM.
ojobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 02:09 PM   #19
Pleaserotatem1

Unhappy No Rotation Option

Realized I need to update to Mac OS to Monterey.

Credit: https://support.displaylink.com/foru...ion-on-m1-macs

Last edited by Pleaserotatem1; 11-29-2021 at 02:25 PM.
Pleaserotatem1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 10:56 PM   #20
richardbagdonas

Default Still no rotation in DL manager

Hi,

I am running Big Sur on an Apple M1 machine. When I open DL manager it doesn't show an option for rotation. Take a look at the image attached to my reply. Any suggestions?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Snip20211129_4.jpg (13.8 KB, 2 views)
richardbagdonas is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mac, rotate, rotation, silicon, support