Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Windows Software
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-27-2020, 09:49 PM   #1
Bo$s

Default Some games cannot go fullscreen

Recently I bought Dell D6000 and I'm facing a strange issue where one of my games, Counter-Strike: Global Offensive can't go fullscreen on display connected to this dock.

My setup is as follows:
  • Inspiron 7577 gaming with second GPU (GTX 1060 MAX-Q)
  • Windows 10 Home 1909 with latest updates
  • Nvidia drivers 445.87
  • Dell D6000 with A03 FW connected via USB-C
  • DisplayLink drivers 9.3.3147.0
  • AOC 2260 connected via HDMI to D6000

The issue is that when Windows is configured to use external display only, then after starting CS:GO the desktop screen "freezes", however, I hear that game starts and it's running but no UI is displayed (I can also hear menu sounds when I'm moving the pointer). Also, according to the Task Manager, main GPU is used to render the game UI. I still can use Alt+Tab to "unfreeze" the screen, however, when I focus back the CS:GO process then screen freezes. The same issue occurs when Windows is configured to extend displays and the external display is set as the main display.

The interesting observations are:
  • Game is correctly rendered on both displays when Windows is configured to duplicate the displays which to me proofs that game can be rendered on the external display
  • Game starts correctly in Windowed or Fullscreen Windowed mode (however, performance and overall experience is quite bad) so that's not an option)
  • Game works fine when the external display is connected directly to the notebook

So far I tried to:
  • change CS:GO launch options, no luck with different setups here
  • downgrade to 9.1 drivers as such version is offered by Dell
  • updating DirectX runtime libraries
  • Resetting Windows

I'm really happy to get some help here, workaround ideas, or anything which would help me to solve that issue.

Last edited by Bo$s; 04-27-2020 at 09:52 PM. Reason: grammar
Bo$s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 07:09 AM   #2
JakubDabrowski
DisplayLink Tech Support

Hello,

Thank you for contacting us on the forum.

I have few questions to clarify this case even more.

1. Did you test other games in fullscreen or only CS:GO? If not, please verify that.
2. What resolution are you using in CS:GO? It seems like your monitor should be working in Full HD. Please also check other resolutions if they impact the screen in any way.

Thank you for your feedback.

Best regards,
Jakub
JakubDabrowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 08:30 PM   #3
Bo$s

Thanks for the reply!

Quote:
1. Did you test other games in fullscreen or only CS:GO? If not, please verify that.
I tried: Dark Souls 3, Dishonored 2, Hitman, Mafia 3, Worms Armageddon - for all of these game launched with no issues.

Quote:
2. What resolution are you using in CS:GO? It seems like your monitor should be working in Full HD. Please also check other resolutions if they impact the screen in any way.
Full HD. I tried 1024x768 - I got a black screen instead of a frozen desktop.
Old 05-01-2020, 03:50 PM   #4
JakubDabrowski
DisplayLink Tech Support

Hello,

Thank you for your patience.

I have been looking into CS:GO display settings and I have found that there is an option under Display mode called: Fullscreen Windowed. As you mentioned you had some problems in this mode but when I checked it the game works perfectly fine for me. I have also checked the FPS ratio in the menu and while playing. I have reached nearly maximum which was set by the commands in console.

Please remember that in CS:GO you can set by commands a maximum number of fps which will be better than having always a maximum possible at a time.

Could you please verify if you are also having lags or fps issues in this mode? As it looks pretty stable for me and the issue comes from CS:GO that bypasess DWM probably for gaming preferences. It appears to me as this is the only possible explanation of such behaviour based on other games that works well for you.

Thank you for checking that and letting me know if that changes anything for you.

Best regards,
Jakub
Old 05-03-2020, 09:10 AM   #5
Bo$s

I tried the Fullscreen Windowed mode - after a few minutes, I noticed screen stuttering and frames (not the frame rate) dropping, especially when I was moving quickly my mouse (and it doesn't matter how was the display connected - in both cases I had a noticeable worse gameplay experience in Fullscreen Windowed mode). Therefore, as a workaround, I prefer reconnecting the display when I want to play CS:GO, however, that's not the solution which I was looking for when I bought that station (and I wouldn't choose it if I had known that it does some magic with virtual Display Adaptors to support multiple displays in higher resolutions, as to me it brings only problems instead of benefits).

The one thing which confuses me a lot is that everything works fine when the screen is duplicated on both displays. This means that there is a way to have the game working correctly when the display is connected to the dock. I would love to see an experimental driver option that disables/bypasses the virtual display adaptor and let me use dock HDMI in the same way as the notebook HDMI works.
Old 05-04-2020, 11:49 AM   #6
JakubDabrowski
DisplayLink Tech Support

Hello,

Thank you for your patience.

We have done some more testing and on another machine we were able to reproduce the issue.

It seems like there is a problem with amount of frames that are being projected by CS:GO. In a Fullscreen windowed mode with an external display set as a primary one and on extend option. The game launched correctly but in-game experience was not satisfactory enough unless we lowered the amount of maximum FPS.

Firstly, we tried with highest possible and we did see the lags and stuttering BUT when we capped the FPS for 60 it was not present and the game played smoothly. We did try to increase the capped FPS and up to around 120 we did not see any changed. Around 200fps the game started to work really slowly.

This would also prove that other games can work normally as the ones you mentioned are capped for around 60fps.

What I would suggest for now is to lower and cap the FPS ratio in CS:GO as it seems to be an issue that the device is not able to project so many frames at once. If you would need a guide how to do it, here is the YT clip about it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbTPNvbg228

Lastly, I would like to analyze the issue further. Could you please follow this link and gather log files for me? https://support.displaylink.com/know...to-displaylink

I would like to see your exact setup and possible errors or information in the logs.