Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Windows Software

Old 10-31-2018, 03:56 PM   #1
Isac

Default Issues with dell d3100 docking station, devices disconnecting and reconnecting

Hello!

So I just recieved the dell d3100 docking station yesterday and I just can't get it to work properly. it's connected to my alienware 15 R4 through a USB 3.0 to USB C cable. The only ports I'm using on the docking station is 2 USB, 1 USB C and ethernet. The 2 USB ports are used by a mouse and a keyboard. The mouse works fine for about 15 seconds and then it disconnects and reconnects but it doesnt work at all after the reconnect, the keyboard however works as normal after reconnecting. This porcess usually goes on for quiet some time and I can see the lights on the mouse and keyboard flickering. Yesterday the mouse worked fine after a few tries of plugging in and out the USB cable, but now I just can't get it to work.

I've updated everything you guys recommend, BIOS, USB drivers and displaylink software etc...

I also made sure that the power settings for the USB ports on my laptop is configured so that it wont disconnect ports to save battery.

Some help would be highly appreciated

/ Isac
Attached Files
File Type: zip DL_Windows_Logs_20181031_163107.zip (1.04 MB, 1 views)
Isac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 04:59 PM   #2
AlbanRampon

Arrow

Hello Isac,

Thank you for the logs and details, that's helpful.

The DisplayLink chips doesn't see the mouse or keyboard. The two DisplayLink chips in the box are connected, like your mouse/keyboard, to a USB hub internally before it all goes to your computer. The difference is we can use both USB2 and USB3. Does the Ethernet connection goes down as well when your keyboard starts to flicker? I'm asking as this is a different device using a different driver (but same physcial chip).

I also see disconnections on our graphics logs, so it looks like the USB is instable, confirmed by the fact the light on your mouse/keyboard don't stay up: they are jumping up and down. That seems very low level because "flicker" suggests to me it's a quick change, and you can see that Windows takes at least a second to react to new hardware plugged in: the flickering is too fast for Windows.

I don't foresee any possible impact of BIOS or DisplayLink driver here. The USB Host Controller driver is now inboxed and I've not received negative feedback on the Windows 10 RS4 version you're using, so I'd be tempted to exclude that as a possible culprit too.
That leaves the USB device, host, converter or hub. But, because you have several devices exhibiting the issue, I'd exclude devices (unless they generate traffic making someone above them reset the connection altogether).

I see the mouse is wired, is the keyboard wired too? And what kind of keyboard is it?
Do you have the same instability if you move one/both of the keyboard and mouse to the laptop directly? I understand it's not the solution, but cross-test will help find the culprit.
Would you also be able to try on direct USB3 Type-A to the laptop, instead of going through the C->A adapter? That shouldn't make a difference if the port/cable are compliant, but something is obviously wrong here.

Do you have anything wireless (bluetooth, mouse, 2.4GHz device) against the docking station or USB 3 cable? 2.4GHz interferes with USB 3.0 communications when in close proximity.

I'm sorry I have more questions than answers now...

Kind regards,
Alban

Where to download the latest DisplayLink drivers
How to clean up a corrupted installation
How to report issues to DisplayLink for a speedy resolution
AlbanRampon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 06:49 PM   #3
Isac

Default RE:

Thank you for the quick reply!

The keyboard and mouse are both wired. The keyboard is a Mission SG GGK 3.1 and the mouse is a steelseries rival 310.

I don't have any instability what so ever when i plug the cables straight into the laptop.

I don't have that kind of cable at home for now but i can certainly get one if you think it could help!

No wireless connections, however there's a built in bluetooth function on the laptop, could that interfere?
Old 11-02-2018, 02:15 PM   #4
Isac

Anything new?
Old 11-08-2018, 01:18 PM   #5
AlbanRampon

Arrow

Hello,

The Bluetooth of the laptop could only have a play if you were putting the antenna on top of the USB 3.0. As far as I have seen, antennas in laptops have been on the side of the display so far away.

Instead of moving both devices at the same time, I would like to get a minium reproduction setup.
You've seen in previous post as with the cross testing we've excluded the DisplayLink chip or driver as being a root cause.
If we want this resolved, we will need to analyse what is taking place on the USB and we will report this to the manufacturer and other relevant parties.
We've got the equipment necessary, we've got USB experts, and I am fine buying what we need to reproduce, but I don't want to have to buy a house if a table is enough... That's why I would like you to get one thing to change at a time as it we will know what factor causes the problem.

For instance, can you reproduce with just the mouse connected to the D3100 to the laptop. If not, add one thing: a display, or Ethernet. Then we get the minimum failure configuration, and that becomes possible to analyse: we purchase the equipement, set a USB analyser and see what's happening on the bus in both directions.

The reason I am a bit suspicious about the mouse or keyboard being the trigger is that there are millions of the D3100 in use. But offices don't tend to have high DPI mice, and the amount/shape of traffic they create, most likely on USB 2, could have an impact. A dumb keyboard and mouse generate little traffic on USB 2 and all the rest is USB 3. The USB hub/host have to juggle with the two.

Kind regards,
Alban

Where to download the latest DisplayLink drivers
How to clean up a corrupted installation
How to report issues to DisplayLink for a speedy resolution
AlbanRampon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 10:02 PM   #6
RobRam33

Default d3100 docking station, devices disconnecting and reconnecting

Hello, I am not sure if I am allowed to request help within this link.
I too am having issues with connectivity from my MS 3050 wireless mouse and keyboard to the d3100 docking station. I have the docking station connected to two external monitors and of course the keyboard and mouse through USB. Constantly the mouse and keyboard disconnect from the docking station and are no longer useable. There are times where it will reconnect, after making a blip noise, but most of the time I have to disconnect the power to the docking station to get the keyboard and mouse working again. I will say that the two external monitors are still working and if I use the mouse and keyboard on the laptop everything works. This has been going on for a long time and I have not been able to find any answer that will help me correct this problem. Any help that you can give me is greatly appreciated, thank you.
RobRam33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dell d3100, disconnecting, problems, usb ports