Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Linux and Open Source

Old 02-19-2017, 05:57 PM   #1

Seeing same issue.

Oddly, I had this working with acceptable performance on 16.04 with the 1.2 driver and after upgrading I was unable to roll back to a state where it worked again - even a fully clean install was no help.
AvatarKava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 06:30 PM   #2
malidlkan

@AvatarKava: Thnx for your response. Good to know I'm not the only one having troubles.

My initial post is awaiting moderation, because I added a link... Therefore I write my initial post here, so other visitors know what this thread is all about. If my initial post gets enabled again, I will delete this:

Hello,

I think this is a known bug or bad behaviour, which is a major drawback on using the i-tec USB 3.0 docking station with Ubuntu and two external monitors.
My modern, high performance CPU runs up to 15-60% and the fan cries out loudly, if I connect to external monitors.

My setup:
ACER Aspire v3-371 notebook running Ubuntu 14.04 LTS (up-to-date) and the newest available DisplayLink driver.

Details:
* OS info: Linux-3.16.0-77-generic-x86_64-with-Ubuntu-14.04-trusty
* CPU info: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4210U CPU @ 1.70GHz Cache: 3072 KB Cores: 2
* Installed RAM: 8097920 kB
* DL driver version: 1.3.52
* Connected Devices on the docking station: USB-Mouse, USB-Keyboard, HDMI-Monitor (1920x1080), DVI-Monitor (1920x1080), RJ-45 Network Cable

There should be no problem with the hardware. Because if I run this setup with Windows 10 the CPU usage is below 1% (However there are some other troubles with Windows...). In my opinion this looks like a pure software/driver problem.

Please fix this or provide me some kind of workaround. I still believe in DisplayLink...

My workaround at the moment: I connected one monitor with the HDMI port of the notebook and the second monitor with the HDMI port of the docking station. _The CPU usage drops down and seems to run constantly on 16%!_
Sadly I run into the "mouse flickering" problem, which is also a known bug/problem. So on the monitor connected to the internal notebook HDMI port has got problems to display the mouse cursor.

PS: If you need the DisplayLink Linux Support Tool output, please do not hesitate to contact me. I'll send it via a PM to you.

Last edited by malidlkan; 02-22-2017 at 06:31 PM. Reason: format
malidlkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 10:28 AM   #3
maximih

Default Metacity

I have a similar issue and my workaround is to use metacity.
maximih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 03:24 PM   #4
malidlkan

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximih View Post
I have a similar issue and my workaround is to use metacity.
Thnx for your workaround suggestion. As far as I understand metacity would not work with my default Ubuntu Unity environment? I really like Unity and I do not want to replace it, because of a driver's fault.
Old 03-27-2017, 08:03 PM   #5
malidlkan

Any progress on this? Can we expect a bug fix in an upcoming driver version?

Tags
cpu high, dvi, external monitor, ubuntu 14.04