Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Mac Software

Old 08-23-2021, 01:29 AM   #31
ordep81

New Mac user here, I have dual monitor set that I would like to use for work on my 2020 Macbook Pro (intel) have it all hooked up through the dock. Once i place the laptop in clamshell mode the video on my monitors intermittently drops to where I have to keep the laptop open and takes up real estate on my desk. Is this the same issue that most are experiencing here? Are there any workarounds like using "Amphetamine" app as others have mentioned that have had any luck?
ordep81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 06:16 PM   #32
ordep81

Quick update, I got a workaround on this by using Amphetamine free app, I just mirror on monitor to the laptop and the other monitor as its own. This works how I wanted.
ordep81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 02:35 AM   #33
TheNickGuy

Just use the legacy driver 5.2.5 and Clamshell mode will work, every driver newer than 5.2.5 does not work in Clamshell (closed) mode
TheNickGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 11:18 PM   #34
nyne87

Just to report my success, I updated to macOS Monterey beta and the issue was resolved. I now have clamshell mode using the latest DisplayLink beta drivers for Monterey.
nyne87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 11:08 AM   #35
Speedy

Angry Same Issue on MacBook Pro 15" 2016

I have the same issue that the clamshell-mode was not working any longer when i updated my mac from 10.14 (Mojave) to 11.5.2 (Big Sur). I'm using a Kensington Dock SD4780P with 2x 4K-Samsung-Screens connected via HDMI.
Actual Work-A-Round is to use Amphetamin as mentioned in the thread before.

A much bigger problem for me is, that my network-connection is interrupted for just seconds multiple-times per day, what makes remote-working with VPNs or in Virtual-Machines a nightmare.
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 12:59 PM   #36
jhdevuk

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by davss View Post
That's good news! I'm assuming all work fine on the latest update macOS Big Sur 11.3 11.3 with currently available DL for download driver for M1?

I've been using Amphetamine (from App Store) with unticked "Allow system sleep when display is closed" when sessions's started to run my MacBook Air with the following monitors in clamshell more:

1 x Dell U4919DW 49 inch suported by M1 native single external display and charging via single bi-directional USB-C cable connected to top USB-C port

3 x Dell U2515H 25 inch DL driver using via 10in1 UGREEN USB-C hub and Startech USB-3.0 to DP hardware connected to bottom USB-C port

Cheers,
David

ps. there's a thread where we drop messages about macOS and DL updates and whether anything breaks after updating:
https://www.displaylink.org/forum/sh...ad.php?t=67606

Finally! After a lot of trial and error, this works perfectly for me.

I've got a 2018 Macbook Pro (Intel), with a Dell D3100 dock that I use to switch between my Windows (XPS 13) & Mac (both required for work).

Using Amphetamine, with a trigger setup for when the dock is plugged in, and "Allow system sleep when display is closed" un-ticked, everything is hunky dorey.

Thanks David!

Last edited by jhdevuk; 02-02-2022 at 01:06 PM.
jhdevuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 02:49 PM   #37
solo-act

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhdevuk View Post
Finally! After a lot of trial and error, this works perfectly for me.

I've got a 2018 Macbook Pro (Intel), with a Dell D3100 dock that I use to switch between my Windows (XPS 13) & Mac (both required for work).

Using Amphetamine, with a trigger setup for when the dock is plugged in, and "Allow system sleep when display is closed" un-ticked, everything is hunky dorey.

Thanks David!
Thanks for the tip but this sounds like a workaround to an unsolved problem in clamshell mode similar to what I'm going through with an 2019 intel Mac -- everything works in clamshell mode until the system decides to sleep or when I logout and manually put it to sleep.

A laptop with Displaylink should be able to sleep and wake up from sleep without impacting how displays are "seen", without impacting Screen Recording permission for the Displaylink Manager app, and without requiring users to power cycle their firewire docks that depend on Displaylink to work properly.
solo-act is offline   Reply With Quote