Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > Alpha, Beta Software Testing Programs > Closed Alpha and Beta Programs > CLOSED: Mac 1.5 Release
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-28-2009, 07:49 AM   #1
fuerst

Default Strange colored lines: wrong monitor resolution

My DisplayLink connected Apple Cinema 20" worked well using 1.5b3 in OS X 10.6.1 up to today. Strange colored lines and parts of the desktop picture were displayed and the monitor did make a buzzer like noise. Upgrading to 1.5b4 did not help - same result. Somehow I managed to move the Display Preferences pane for the Apple Cinema to the other connected monitor. The resolution was set to 1280x1024 (or x720 - don't remember exactly). Switching back to 1680x1050 solved the problem. It was also necessary to choose the correct color profile.

I never experienced this problem before. Any idea how this can be avoided? How can I change the monitor resolution without using the Display Preferences pane?

Attached is the DisplayLink directory from /Library/Application\ Support
Attached Files
File Type: zip DisplayLink.zip (2.0 KB, 705 views)
Old 09-28-2009, 08:54 AM   #2
Patrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuerst View Post
My DisplayLink connected Apple Cinema 20" worked well using 1.5b3 in OS X 10.6.1...
Thanx for posting this. From the logs you see that the Cinema Display stopped replying with EDID data. Then the DL software went back to a default resolution as it of course did not have any reason to suspect a CD. The default resolution could not be displayed by the Cinema Display. I don't know why the CD did not reply with a correct EDID.
There is no easy way to change the resolution without the display preference pane.

Regards Patrick
Old 10-16-2009, 05:06 PM   #3
steverod

A similar (but not quite the same) situation here.
I have 2 DELL 19" monitors, one via mini-DVI->DVI and the other via DisplayLink (a Kensington Dock with Video), connected to a MacBook (late 2006) running 10.6.1.

Today (10/15) I came in, plugged in all the cables, and the monitors both came up and then my MacBook went back to sleep. Tapping on the USB keyboard woke up the machine again, but the DisplayLink monitor had colored lines on it (no buzzing sound). Normally I would have just unplugged and replugged but instead I used the tip provided by the OP, and brought up System Preferences->Displays. Both displays were running at 1280x1024 (their normal resolution). Changing the resolution on the DisplayLink monitor to something else and then switching back resolved the issue, and the DisplayLink monitor is perfectly happy now.

Attached is the contents of /Library/Application Support/DisplayLink.

Any word on the next beta drop?
Thank you!
Attached Files
File Type: zip DisplayLink.zip (4.5 KB, 834 views)