Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Mac Software
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-30-2023, 11:28 PM   #11
MrJB73

Quote:
Originally Posted by stardust View Post
I'd hate to see that one needs to wipe out the system just to make DisplayLink work.

I remembered an additional thing I did the night before based on a reddit discussion (https://www.reddit.com/r/MacOSBeta/c...eaks_external/)

So, before wiping out your system, you might try doing this, and then repeat the steps I listed earlier.

Open Terminal, and delete the below file with the "rm" command:
~/Library/Preferences/ByHost/com.apple.windowserver.displays.<LONG HEX STRING>.plist

Then repeat the steps I suggested earlier? Not sure if it will work, but perhaps For what it is worth.

Revised steps are:

- Open Terminal, delete the file ~/Library/Preferences/ByHost/com.apple.windowserver.displays.<LONG HEX STRING>.plist
- Disconnect your DisplayLink usb device (hub) from the Mac
- Uninstall DisplayLink using the uninstaller. (macOS App LoginExtension-EXE.dmg)
- In system Settings/Displays, turn off True Tone, turn off automatic brightness adjustment.
- From App Store, search for MacOS Ventura, and reinstall system.
- After installation is complete, reinstall DisplayLink Manager. (DisplayLink Manager Graphics Connectivity1.8.1-EXE.pkg)
- Reinstall "Login Screen Extension" using macOS App LoginExtension-EXE.dmg
- Reconnect your DisplayLink device/hub. It will prompt the login screen again.

Thanks for the help but this did not fix anything - Same issue... both screens external show on load up but as soon as you log in you still get the log out / log in glitch repeat over and over.....
MrJB73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 02:50 PM   #12
Damien83

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJB73 View Post
Thanks for the help but this did not fix anything - Same issue... both screens external show on load up but as soon as you log in you still get the log out / log in glitch repeat over and over.....
Hi All,

I had the same issue. I contacted Plugable support and they sent me these instructions. It worked for me. hopefully, it will work for you as well.

Hi,

Thank you for contacting us, I am sorry this is not working as expected and I am happy to help!

For Apple Silicon systems (M1/M2 processors) Apple uses two files for storing display settings and information, sometimes the configuration files may become corrupted causing display settings to not be retained on reboot, wake from sleep, or even simply logging out and back in, and in the worst cases can cause displays to fail to detect or output correctly. It is also possible that incorrectly configured display settings can cause the window manager to crash at login bringing you back to the login prompt.

Deleting these two files will reset the window configuration and allow you to reconfigure the connected displays just like their first connection to the computer. The system-wide configuration file requires administrative permissions to delete or modify, while the user file can be modified by the logged in user.
How to delete these files:

1) Disconnect the docking station with external displays from the computer ( for Mac Mini connect one display directly to the computer’s HDMI output )
2) Open a terminal window: Select Finder > Go > Utilities > Terminal
3) Type in the following command to remove the user-specific configuration file for the currently logged in user:
3a) rm ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.windowserver.*.plist
4) Type in the following command to remove the system-wide configuration file (requires root/administrative permissions):
4a) sudo rm /Library/Preferences/com.apple.windowserver.*.plist
5) Restart the computer: Apple Menu > Restart

I also recommend we fully remove and reinstall the DisplayLink Manager App:

1) Log into the computer and open the Finder > Go > Applications window
2) Double-click on the "DisplayLink Software Uninstaller" and follow the onscreen steps to remove the DisplayLink software
2A) If you encounter an error where the DisplayLink Manager App is running and you cannot close it please continue with 2B-2E below, if you do not see the "DisplayLink Software Uninstaller, please click and drag the "DisplayLink Manager App" to the trask can on the macOS dock:
2B) Open the Finder > Go > Utilities > Activity Monitor
2C) Scroll down and select the "DisplayLinkUserAgent" from the list
2D) Click on the button at the top of the screen to "Stop" the application ( an octagon with an 'x' in the center )
2E) Retry step #2, if it still will not uninstall please let me know and we can go from here
5) When the software removal has completed please restart the computer ( Apple Menu > Restart )
6) Log back into the computer and install the latest DisplayLink software following these detailed instructions ( for macOS up to version 12: https://kb.plugable.com/1185378, or for macOS 13: https://kb.plugable.com/1595423 )
7) Restart the computer when completed ( Apple Menu > Restart )
8) Reconnect the docking station to your system and check for the displays and USB devices to be detected

Please let me know if this helps and if not we can go from here.

Thank you,

Pat
Plugable Technologies
Damien83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 03:50 PM   #13
MrJB73

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien83 View Post
Hi All,

I had the same issue. I contacted Plugable support and they sent me these instructions. It worked for me. hopefully, it will work for you as well.

Hi,

Thank you for contacting us, I am sorry this is not working as expected and I am happy to help!

For Apple Silicon systems (M1/M2 processors) Apple uses two files for storing display settings and information, sometimes the configuration files may become corrupted causing display settings to not be retained on reboot, wake from sleep, or even simply logging out and back in, and in the worst cases can cause displays to fail to detect or output correctly. It is also possible that incorrectly configured display settings can cause the window manager to crash at login bringing you back to the login prompt.

Deleting these two files will reset the window configuration and allow you to reconfigure the connected displays just like their first connection to the computer. The system-wide configuration file requires administrative permissions to delete or modify, while the user file can be modified by the logged in user.
How to delete these files:

1) Disconnect the docking station with external displays from the computer ( for Mac Mini connect one display directly to the computer’s HDMI output )
3) Type in the following command to remove the user-specific configuration file for the currently logged in user:
4) Type in the following command to remove the system-wide configuration file (requires root/administrative permissions):
5) Restart the computer: Apple Menu > Restart

I also recommend we fully remove and reinstall the DisplayLink Manager App:

1) Log into the computer and open the Finder > Go > Applications window
2) Double-click on the "DisplayLink Software Uninstaller" and follow the onscreen steps to remove the DisplayLink software
2A) If you encounter an error where the DisplayLink Manager App is running and you cannot close it please continue with 2B-2E below, if you do not see the "DisplayLink Software Uninstaller, please click and drag the "DisplayLink Manager App" to the trask can on the macOS dock:
2B) Open the Finder > Go > Utilities > Activity Monitor
2C) Scroll down and select the "DisplayLinkUserAgent" from the list
2D) Click on the button at the top of the screen to "Stop" the application ( an octagon with an 'x' in the center )
2E) Retry step #2, if it still will not uninstall please let me know and we can go from here
5) When the software removal has completed please restart the computer ( Apple Menu > Restart )
6) Log back into the computer and install the latest DisplayLink software following these detailed instructions ( for macOS up to version 12: https://kb.plugable.com/1185378, or for macOS 13: https://kb.plugable.com/1595423 )
7) Restart the computer when completed ( Apple Menu > Restart )
8) Reconnect the docking station to your system and check for the displays and USB devices to be detected

Please let me know if this helps and if not we can go from here.

Thank you,

Pat
Plugable Technologies

Damien - THANK YOU! IT WORKS!
Following these steps exactly worked - so happy all monitors are working again!!
Old 03-31-2023, 05:17 PM   #14
plasticine

Quote:

Following these steps exactly worked - so happy all monitors are working again!!
I'm glad here that there is a solution. Have not upgraded waiting for some good nes.

MrJB73, can you share your spec? like:

Apple device
macOS
DisplayLink manager version
DisplayLink Device and version
plasticine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 10:21 PM   #15
MrJB73

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasticine View Post
I'm glad here that there is a solution. Have not upgraded waiting for some good nes.

MrJB73, can you share your spec? like:

Apple device
macOS
DisplayLink manager version
DisplayLink Device and version
Sure - all working as with Ventura 13.2.1 - now with 13.3

MacBook Pro M1 13"
x2 HP E223 Monitors
Targus USB3 DV1K-2K Travel Dock (Display Link via HDMI)
Display Link 1.8.1

Image of setup:

https://ibb.co/cbkkcTP
Old 03-31-2023, 11:27 PM   #16
Damien83

Quote:

Glad that this worked and I'm happy I shared it with everyone. Hopefully this fix works for everyone facing the issue
Damien83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2023, 06:05 PM   #17
Veronica C

Thumbs up Worked for me...Thank you

This worked for me thanks so much for sharing.
Veronica C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2023, 09:28 PM   #18
BruhWhyDidIUpgrade

Damien,

THANK YOU ... I'm also confirming this fix worked for me. I'll pin it to the main page of my post / edit my original if I'm able
BruhWhyDidIUpgrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 03:59 PM   #19
Tomas

Dear Damien,
could your send the screenshots for these operations, how to complete these steps, because my informatics IQ is LOW !
Many thanks

Tomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2023, 07:47 AM   #20
plasticine

Quote:
Sure - all working as with Ventura 13.2.1 - now with 13.3

MacBook Pro M1 13"
x2 HP E223 Monitors
Targus USB3 DV1K-2K Travel Dock (Display Link via HDMI)
Display Link 1.8.1

Image of setup:

https://ibb.co/cbkkcTP
Thank you! Mr Bond
plasticine is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
login, macos ventura, password, password prompt, ventura 13.3