Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Mac Software

Old 03-14-2022, 10:15 PM   #31
michaellau

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgroshong View Post
How do you kill the coreaudio?
Open your terminal and type the command "sudo pkill coreaudiod". It will prompt you for your password before it kills coreaudio.

I've added an alias to my shell config:

alias resetAudio="sudo pkill coreaudiod"

But you can also create your own mini application to do this using the Script Editor application.

In script editor, enter the following

do shell script "pkill coreaudiod" password "blah" with administrator privileges

but replace 'blah' with your password. Then from the File menu, choose Export..., then for File Format choose Application, and for Export As give your application a name you'll remember. I chose "Reset Audio"

This will create a simple application that will reset your audio and then immediately close.

Now whenever I plug in my display link I can simply use cmd+spacebar to open up spotlight search, quickly search for "reset audio" and press return. I don't even have to type the whole thing, spotlight search will usually find it just after "re".

Last edited by michaellau; 03-14-2022 at 10:45 PM. Reason: fix typo
michaellau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 06:20 PM   #32
Basirk

This is my first experience of DisplayLink having just bought a Dock.
I should have known. I was wooed be the "one cable" panacea, but deep down I knew that I was going to get annoying problems requiring ridiculous work arounds until someone fixes the drivers. Then wait for the next OS update to break something else.

So yeah, +1 with no audio. And back to two cables plugged into my Mac :/
... and a whistling PSU on the dock.
... and visual "jpeg" artefacts in my editor.
Apart from that it's awesome.

How long typically before these things get fixed? This thread is already nearly 6 months old!
Basirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 11:58 AM   #33
smbruijn

Default Fixed?

I think a recent Mac OS fixed it for me? Still on displaylink 1.6.1, but it works now... :-)
smbruijn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 12:03 PM   #34
rboerner
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by smbruijn View Post
I think a recent Mac OS fixed it for me? Still on displaylink 1.6.1, but it works now... :-)
Anecdotal evidence suggests that the audio issue has been resolved in macOS 12.4.

Plugable has a knowledge base article that speaks to this development here --> https://kb.plugable.com/question/1182225
rboerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2023, 08:00 AM   #35
mickequick

Default Sound randomly stops but then it works in another application

Using a Prokord USB-C dock for my screens and other peripherals. Using MBP M1 Pro, running macOS 12.6.5.

I've experienced similar problems as described here. Sound randomly stops working and I hear a "click" from the speaker, like if you turned something off.

I've tried suggestions in this thread with some success, but nothing that works in the long term.

Other workaround that have worked?

1. Unplug the speaker cable from the Prokord and then pluging it back in. "Click" and it works.

2. Switching to another application, like Quicktime, and playing a sound. "Click" and the sound is back on again. Other times I have to start playing a video on Youtube in Chrome.
"Click" and the sound is back again.

I've also streamed system logs for a while in order to "catch" something just after the dreaded "Click" that signals sound loss, as well as the "Click" that signifies that the sound is back. This is what I got.

Here is stopped working:

Code:
default	08:35:00.514719+0200	coreaudiod	 HALS_IOContext_Legacy_Impl::IOThreadEntry: 516 AppleUSBAudioEngine:DisplayLink:DL-Dock:ZG69360100661:3 (AppleUSBAudioEngine:DisplayLink:DL-Dock:ZG69360100661:3): stopping with error 0
Here I used the other software trick in order to get the sound to work again:

Code:
default	08:35:09.085500+0200	coreaudiod	 HALS_IOContext_Legacy_Impl::IOThreadEntry: 465 AppleUSBAudioEngine:DisplayLink:DL-Dock:ZG69360100661:3 (AppleUSBAudioEngine:DisplayLink:DL-Dock:ZG69360100661:3): starting
Here is what I presume is coreaudiod reporting something after restarting the dock:

Code:
default	08:35:09.091690+0200	coreaudiod	     CAReportingClient.mm:508   message {
    "device_is_aggregate" = 0;
    "input_num_tap_streams" = 0;
    "input_scalar_volume" = "1.000000";
    "io_buffer_size" = 256;
    message = StartHardware;
    "output_avail_phys_formats" = "{ [16/48000/2 lpcm], [16/48000/6 lpcm], [16/48000/2 lpcm], [16/48000/6 lpcm] }";
    "output_avail_virt_formats" = "{ [32/48000/2 lpcm], [32/48000/6 lpcm], [16/48000/2 lpcm], [16/48000/6 lpcm] }";
    "output_bits_per_channel" = 32;
    "output_bytes_per_frame" = 8;
    "output_bytes_per_packet" = 8;
    "output_channels_per_frame" = 2;
    "output_device_source_list" = Unknown;
    "output_device_transport_list" = USB;
    "output_device_uid_list" = "AppleUSBAudioEngine:DisplayLink:DL-Dock:ZG1:3";
    "output_format_id" = lpcm;
    "output_frames_per_packet" = 1;
    "output_num_tap_streams" = 0;
    "output_scalar_volume" = "1.000000";
    "sample_rate" = 48000;
}: (
)

It would be REALLY nice if DisplayLink got together with Apple and solved this.
mickequick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2023, 12:14 PM   #36
rboerner
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickequick View Post
Using a Prokord USB-C dock for my screens and other peripherals. Using MBP M1 Pro, running macOS 12.6.5.

I've experienced similar problems as described here. Sound randomly stops working and I hear a "click" from the speaker, like if you turned something off.

I've tried suggestions in this thread with some success, but nothing that works in the long term.
If you have not done so already, I would suggest reporting the issue to DisplayLink by following the process outlined here --> https://support.displaylink.com/know...to-displaylink
rboerner is offline   Reply With Quote