Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Mac Software

Old 04-11-2023, 08:22 PM   #1
flowcooker

Default MacBook M1: new dock worked for 1 day

My uGreen 9-1 USB-C (90912) dock worked beautifully for one session (a couple days). Then, after undocking (took my laptop to the office) and reconnecting my laptop to the USB-C dock, both monitors started to say "no signal detected". I returned and purchased a replacement model of the uGreen (90912) dock, tried that one out and nothing changed. No signal detected.

I have uninstalled - rebooted, and reinstalled/re-configured/rebooted again the DisplayLink 1.8.1 driver. Nothing has changed.

I've followed all the troubleshooting suggestions. When I run the System Report and look at USB devices... What I notice is that the USB-C hub doesn't show up in the USB Device Tree (see attachment with screenshots), however, I do notice that *any* USB hub - whether it works or not - does not show up on the Device Tree.

More info:

Macbook Air (M1, 2020)

macOS Monterey 12.6.1

Device: uGreen 9-in-1 USB-C Docking Station (SKU 90912)

DisplayLink version 1.8.1 Build 63.180

Monitor 1: LG 27" Class FHD IPS FreeSync Monitor (lg-27MK430H-B)

Monitor 2: LG 32'' UltraGear FHD 165Hz HDR10 (lg- 32GN550-B)

Attached is the log file. Also sharing screenshots to give a better idea of my setup here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1cA8...ew?usp=sharing

I sent an email to support with my question a couple days ago and have yet to hear back. I will share the results of my help request in here once I hear back. In the meantime, any thoughts on what might be the issue?/
Attached Files
File Type: zip DisplayLink Support Tool for macOS6.3.163-EXE.zip (201.7 KB, 0 views)
flowcooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2023, 12:05 PM   #2
KatarzynaCzaja
DisplayLink Tech Support

This user reached out to our support directly and we've continued communication privately.
KatarzynaCzaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2023, 05:06 PM   #3
flowcooker

HI. I'm sorry I haven't found an email reply from Support. Could you please have them resend it? I've checked my Spam folder.

Thank you.
Old 04-24-2023, 12:04 PM   #4
KatarzynaCzaja
DisplayLink Tech Support

The email has been resent. Please check your inbox - including the spam folder.
KatarzynaCzaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2023, 09:52 PM   #5
flowcooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatarzynaKowalczyk View Post
The email has been resent. Please check your inbox - including the spam folder.
I've been checking my Spam folder and all other folders in the email account I sent my request from and I don't seem to be having any luck getting the email from your support team. I sent them another message with a backup email address to copy. I hope I can get the response from your support team in the next day or so.

In the meantime, should I uninstall DisplayLink for the time being?

Thank you,
M.
Old 04-25-2023, 04:03 PM   #6
flowcooker

Confirming I received the following message from support. I will contact the manufacturer of the hub. Unfortunately, with perhaps a recent update of my Mac OS, it appears no USB hub devices (whether enabled with DisplayLink or not) are showing up as "detected" under the USB bus, even if the device is functioning. I've tested several USB devices - they work, even though they do not show up as detected under the USB bus. So this may be a pervasive problem if DisplayLink depends on the device actually showing up on the bus in order for the device to function properly.

Thanks for re-sending.

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out!

As you have already confirmed the docking station is not detected under the USB bus at all - none of its ports. Unfortunately as this would not be a problem on the DisplayLink Manager side - but rather a communication of the device with the computer I will not be able to suggest changes regarding DisplayLink Manager that could help.
For DisplayLink Manager to work your computer has to be able to detect that something has been connected to it.

If no devices are shown, then follow the steps below to try and make the device appear in device manager.
Unplug all cables from the device including power, then reconnect power then the USB cable and check if the device is detected.
Check the USB port with another device to make sure other devices are recognized.
Check that the USB cable works with other devices.
Try the adapter on another computer.
If it still does not appear in the system report then you should contact the original manufacturer, not DisplayLink for further support.
Old 04-25-2023, 04:18 PM   #7
flowcooker

If I find a means to workaround this issue, I will post it here.
Old 05-10-2023, 08:05 PM   #8
flowcooker

Default 3rd Device tried

This is my 3rd device I've tried of the same model uGreen 90912 (9-1 USB Hub). I still cannot get it to work, which is too bad because only my first device did work for one day and that was pretty great.

uGreen contacted me and asked me for my invoice information to prove I'd purchased it in order for them to provide support, so I sent it to them. That was Mon Apr 24 - over 2 weeks ago. I hope to hear back from them, but I am losing hope that this device works with DisplayLink. Cannot recommend it at this time. :/
Old 05-10-2023, 08:13 PM   #9
flowcooker

OK. It's working again. I never heard back from uGreen support, so I just tried these steps on my own. Here are the steps I took, and I'm not sure which one addressed the root cause of the issue:

1) Uninstalled all DisplayLink drivers and any other related files and reinstalled the latest driver (mar 23, '23 version)
2) Plugged in new uGreen device (3rd one of the same model). I carefully followed the diagram showing where the power supply input should be coming IN, where the hub should be running out to the laptop.
3) I changed the DisplayPort version on Monitor #2 to from version 1.4 to version 1.2.
4) There are 2 groupings of HDMI/DisplayPort inputs on the hub - we'll call them Group A & Group B. I made sure that monitor#1 which uses HDMI was plugged into Group A HDMI port. Then I ensured that monitor #2 which uses DisplayPort was plugged into Group B.

Now it works. Fingers crossed it will keep working.