Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Windows Software
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-08-2013, 08:06 PM   #111
mike

Just installed the 7.3 drivers. For now I'm not seeing any lag on my external monitors. Things seem to be working much snappier.

I'll update later with more time under my belt with these drivers.
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 01:50 PM   #112
mike

Interesting find: I get lag with certain applications/sites. For instance, if I open the "Wunderlist" website (using IE or Chrome) I get very noticeable mouse lag. Other websites on another tab (say Google News) show no lag. That's what happens on my external monitors. If I move the browser window to my laptops native screen the mouse lag totally disappears.

So it seems that some sites/applications could be using some sort of code that's just really unfriendly to the Displaylink Drivers.

Pretty weird...
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 06:33 PM   #113
acidfire52

An update for me.
It seems to have settled down. After running for a day, my mouse is at pretty much normal speed. Any lag isn't noticeable anymore unless I really look for it.

setup reminder:
Lenovo helix, Lenovo USB 3 dock, 2x 1920x1080 monitors, using the gigabit LAN and 2 USB 2.0 devices.

Only real slowdown I get now is when transferring large amounts of data over the LAN, also through the dock, it will get a bit fuzzy, but not a big deal.

Thanks for all the work.
Ash
acidfire52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 11:20 AM   #114
skomialek

Unhappy

I'm experiencing exactly same issue (big lag in mouse movements). I've installed latest driver but still no help.

Setup:
- Lenovo X1 Carbon
- ThinkPad USB 3.0 dock
- 2 screens running 1920x1200
- Gigabit Ethernet cable connected
- Wireless mouse and keyboard receiver connected to the dock
- DisplayLinkManager v. 7.3.49122.0

Some observations (I didn't bother read through all of the posts in the thread so sorry if there are some duplicates):
- DisplayLinkManager eats up ~20% CPU (seems mostly kernel time)
- Updated driver doesn't seem to help at all
- lag is gone if I connect mouse / keyboard receiver directly to the laptop (not through the dock)
- with no receiver DisplayLinkManager CPU usage is down to 3~5%

For now I'm happy with the workaround (connect mouse and keyboard receiver directly to the laptop), but it'd be really nice if this issue got solved.
skomialek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 08:46 AM   #115
Wim

Quote:
Originally Posted by skomialek View Post
I'm experiencing exactly same issue (big lag in mouse movements). I've installed latest driver but still no help.

Setup:
- Lenovo X1 Carbon
- ThinkPad USB 3.0 dock
- 2 screens running 1920x1200
- Gigabit Ethernet cable connected
- Wireless mouse and keyboard receiver connected to the dock
- DisplayLinkManager v. 7.3.49122.0

Some observations (I didn't bother read through all of the posts in the thread so sorry if there are some duplicates):
- DisplayLinkManager eats up ~20% CPU (seems mostly kernel time)
- Updated driver doesn't seem to help at all
- lag is gone if I connect mouse / keyboard receiver directly to the laptop (not through the dock)
<SNIP>

Then the problem is nothing to do with DisplayLink, but USB interference as covered here:

http://kb.displaylink.com/340

Wim
Wim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 11:22 AM   #116
skomialek

Hi Wim,

Thanks for the reply. You're right. I misinterpreted the problem since it started as I had mouse connected to the USB 2.0 hub connected through the ThikPad dock (which was I believe caused by the fw). I then connected to directly to USB 3.0, problem persisted (or even got worse) so I updated the firmware. Now it is connected back to the USB 2.0 hub and the problem doesn't occur.

Thanks for help.

Regards,
Lukasz
skomialek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 03:19 PM   #117
akohit

I've read through a good portion of this thread and wanted to add my experience.

Setup a Yoga 13 for a user yesterday, their config is:
Yoga 13
Lenovo USB 3.0 Dock
Display Link 7.3 drivers
Two 27" Samsung monitors at 1920x1080

Only things plugged into Dock were keyboard/Microsoft Arc mouse (wireless)

Mouse lag was bad, it made the setup unusable. I found the article about Intel's study on 2.4ghz devices and USB 3.0 so I switched out the wireless mouse to a wired one. User said the lag is much better and hasn't reported it as being an issue still (yet).

So, if you are having lag issues and using a wireless mouse then start by swapping it for a hardwired one (as Wim has suggested).

Last edited by akohit; 10-03-2013 at 03:22 PM.
akohit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 11:44 AM   #118
elfuego

I also have the issue described in the first post. Brand new Lenovo x1 carbon running on windows 8, USB 3.0 hub, 2 displays connected with wired keyboard and mouse.

I experienced a very unpredictable mouse lag, very sluggish performance while moving around active windows. Then I followed the instructions here:
http://www.displaylink.com/support/ticket.php?id=346

and the effects have gotten from bad to worse - the external monitors now do a mini-blink whenever I type anything on a keyboard and occasionally there are graphical glitches (similar to ones when you overclock a graphics card too much). Of course, in addition to very slow performance.

Is there any help to this issue finally?

Edit: Fixed - the problem was that the hub was connected to the USB 2.0 port instead of USB 3.0. The X1 carbon has 1xUSB 2.0 and 1xUSB 3.0 connector. Not both are USB 3.0 :-/

Last edited by elfuego; 11-14-2013 at 11:49 AM.
elfuego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 04:52 PM   #119
scalci

I have the issue, have un-installed the older version, installed the latest but still sloppy display and mouse response on my 2nd screen.
scalci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 10:25 PM   #120
reckoning42

Thumbs up Issues mitigated

Config:

Lenovo Carbon X1 (non-touch)
Windows 7 Home Premium 64
Lenovo USB 3.0 Hub
Logitech AnyNet wireless mouse and keyboard
2x external Samsung 24" 1900x1200 monitors via hub via DVI
1x external Hanns-G 17" 1400x900 monitor via mini HDMI-VGA converter directly from laptop

I've been struggling with mouse and keyboard lag across all three external screens, regardless of whether I use the wireless mouse or the laptop's built-in touchpad and keyboard. I'm running the latest Lenovo drivers for the laptop, the latest BIOS update, the latest USB Hub software and firmware.

The issue of mouse and keyboard lag seemed to be affecting everything I did on my laptop so long as I was plugged into the USB 3.0 hub from Lenovo. Turning off monitors reduced the lag but didn't eliminate it. I've applied the suggested power settings, I've moved my wireless mouse to an extender and kept the receiver far from the USB 3.0 cables and ports. I've also plugged the mouse into the secondary USB 2.0 port on the left side of my chassis, far from the USB 3.0 cable.

On a hunch, I went into the BIOS and changed my USB 3.0 speed settings from "Automatic" to "Enabled." With ALL other fixes suggested in this post now applied, I now have a fairly successful setup with 4 monitors. I can run video on one monitor, a web browser in another, and an excel document in yet another. This is excellent.

However, I notice that SOME web sites cause a little bit of lag. I'm not sure this has ANYTHING to do with DisplayLink or my multiple monitor setup. Sites that have busy scripting like Facebook or NBCNews seem to be the easiest sites to replicate the problem. However, simple sites like Google or Reddit don't cause any lag.

So, without further adieu, I'll confirm this problem resolved for me. Please let me know if you have any questions about my configuration if you'd like to attempt to emulate my blissful world of mediocrity.
reckoning42 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
input device, lag, windows 8