Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Linux and Open Source

Old 08-12-2020, 03:58 AM   #11
schMick

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatarzynaKowalczyk View Post
Hello,

Please make sure that you are not missing the tools necessary for the installation.
You have to run following command prior to installing the newest driver:

Code:
sudo apt install build-essential dkms
You can also check the following article: https://support.displaylink.com/know...on-ubuntu-20-0

Please give that a try and let me know if it helped.

Best regards,
Katarzyna
Hi Katarzyna,

I noticed in the above reply you linked to the docs relating to the latest (Ubuntu 20) driver, however this thread relates to Ubuntu 18.04. Was that a typo, or are you suggesting that for Ubuntu 18.04 under kernel 5.4 we should be using the latest DisplayLink driver (which isn't listed as being compatible with 18.04)?

In case it's helpful, I'm also experiencing this issue after a reboot (so I assume some updates have now completed on restart), and am seeing the following error from the DisplayLink service:

Code:
Starting DisplayLink Driver Service...
modprobe: FATAL: Module evdi not found in directory /lib/modules/5.4.0-42-generic
schMick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 04:29 AM   #12
schMick

Quick update in case it helps anyone:

After reading the previous reply linking to the docs for the latest driver version (which only states it is compatible with Ubuntu 20.04), I also found someone had solved this issue by installing the latest driver on 18.04 (in this thread on the AskUbuntu Forums).

I've now tried that myself, and can confirm DisplayLink is again working, and both of my external monitors are functioning as expected.
schMick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 10:15 PM   #13
Poweredbytea

Greetings.

This is still broken, per my previous posting:

https://www.displaylink.org/forum/sh...ad.php?t=67160

Per the above:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatarzynaKowalczyk View Post
Hello,

Please make sure that you are not missing the tools necessary for the installation.
You have to run following command prior to installing the newest driver:

Code:
sudo apt install build-essential dkms
You can also check the following article: https://support.displaylink.com/know...on-ubuntu-20-0

Please give that a try and let me know if it helped.

Best regards,
Katarzyna

That generated the following:

dpkg: error processing archive xserver-xorg-core_1.20.8-2ubuntu2_amd64.deb (--install):
conflicting packages - not installing xserver-xorg-core
Errors were encountered while processing:
xserver-xorg-core_1.20.8-2ubuntu2_amd64.deb

Solution provided here:

https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=322361

...was to upgrade to Ubuntu 20.04, which is not a viable option for me at this juncture.

The following was recommended:

Quote:
Originally Posted by schMick View Post
Quick update in case it helps anyone:

After reading the previous reply linking to the docs for the latest driver version (which only states it is compatible with Ubuntu 20.04), I also found someone had solved this issue by installing the latest driver on 18.04 (in this thread on the AskUbuntu Forums).

I've now tried that myself, and can confirm DisplayLink is again working, and both of my external monitors are functioning as expected.

Does not function.

I don't see any other recent mention on this forum for a resolution for 18.04, hence checking to see the status of this.
Poweredbytea is offline   Reply With Quote