Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Mac Software

Old 01-26-2021, 08:29 PM   #1
CyriouslyDylan

Default Issues with Ultrawide Monitor (5120x1440)

Computer: MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2017)
MacOS Version: 10.15.7 (19H2)
Displaylink Driver Version: 5.2.5
Monitor: LC49G95T (Samsung Odyssey G9) 5120x1440 (up to 240Hz)
Dock: Targus Dock180USZ-52

So I recently have been trying to get my new monitor to play nicely with my USB-C dock and have been running into a bunch of issues. I'm connected through the above dock using both an HDMI and a Displayport cable. I can run the monitor as 2 separate 1440p monitors no problem, but when I try and run it just through one cable or the other, the only resolution I can get is 3840x2160 over displayport, or some weird incorrect resolution over HDMI.

If I update to Displaylink manager 1.2 (or 1.1) then the monitor can display the full width resolution over one cable, but the display constantly blacks out when the laptop is in clamshell mode. If the laptop is left open it behaves as expected, but my current workflow requires my laptop in clamshell mode. I can run it as 2 separate 1440p monitors in clamshell with version 5.2.5 with no issues. It also still recognizes the internal monitor as being active even though the computer is closed, and windows will get lost there.

Curious as to if other people are having similar issues, and if there is something I can do to either get it to run as a single monitor with 5.2.5 or if there is a way to fix the clamshell issues.

EDIT: I was just able to get the correct resolution over HDMI by following the guidance from this post (https://www.alphr.com/custom-resolution-mac-osx/) and option clicking on "Scaled" which showed more resolutions than MacOS was originally displaying. The blacking out issue in clamshell as well as the active macbook screen issues both persist.

EDIT 2: Running the MBP in clamshell mode still blacks on the monitor is used as two displays. The laptop monitor also remains active.

Last edited by CyriouslyDylan; 01-26-2021 at 09:58 PM.
CyriouslyDylan is offline   Reply With Quote