Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Windows Software

Old 07-17-2017, 11:31 PM   #1
clkdiv

Default Displaylink USB monitor ASUS 168B+ not showing up on Windows 10

Hello,

I am driving a special photobooth with some Windows software that presents photos on two monitors, another monitor is used to operate the PC. So I am using three monitors, each one showing different things (I think it's called "expand to desktop" or so).

Up to now I used a ZOTAC ZBox for that. The monitors:

- one huge TV connected to the display-port
- two ASUS 168B+ monitors connected directly to USB 3.0

This worked very nicely, but now I bought a Intel NUC and stumpled into some problems. I use the NUC's one and only HDMI output for the huge TV monitor, that's working flawlessly.

But none of the USB-monitors are being recognized reliably. They do not even show up as a device most of the time. However I managed to make it work for a very short time, but it never worked again. Now since the monitors work fine on the old PC, using the same cables, I am sure the problem is either the software (Windows, Displaylink-Drivers) on the NUC or the NUC itself, not the cables or monitors.

What could I try to make the monitors work? Any idea? Thanks a lot...

Martin
clkdiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 08:51 AM   #2
clkdiv

Default USB-monitor ASUS 169B+ not recognized on Intel NUC

Ooops! Double post. Sorry.

Last edited by clkdiv; 07-21-2017 at 09:23 AM.
Old 07-19-2017, 10:54 AM   #3
AlbanRampon

Arrow

Hello,

It could come from a power brownout. The current rush to start the panel and backlight is making the voltage drops, which stops the panel, until it starts again.

Could you try to connect them through an externally powered USB hub to check if the behaviour changes?

Kind regards,
Alban

Where to download the latest DisplayLink drivers
How to clean up a corrupted installation
How to report issues to DisplayLink for a speedy resolution
AlbanRampon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 09:30 AM   #4
clkdiv

Hello Alban,

thanks a lot for your relply and your suggestion. I bought a USB 3.0 hub immediately and tried to run the ASUS monitors connected to the hub, without success, unfortunately.

I will try another hub, but I suppose power is not the problem.I can't imagine the Intel NUC can drive spinning hard drives but not the monitor, no?

While getting another hub, do you have another suggestion? Thanks a lot.

Martin.
Old 07-21-2017, 09:44 AM   #5
AlbanRampon

Arrow

Hi Martin,

Can you confirm you have used an external power supply?
If so, would you please use the third link in my signature to create the collection of the log files as follows:
1. Disconnect the ASUS USB monitors, leave the USB hub connected to the PC,
2. Start the Customer Support Tool and, in the options, please enable the Advanced Logging, leave it open,
3. Connect one ASUS USB monitor to the hub,
4. Wait one minute doing nothing. This is so I can see what takes place.
5. Click on the tool to collect the logs. It will take a while. Please do not do anything during that time, so the last point in the logs is clear to me.
6. Disable advanced logging not to fill your hard drive.
7. Close the tool.
8. Upload the ZIP the tool created here. Only employees can download them.

Kind regards,
Alban

Old 07-21-2017, 10:58 AM   #6
clkdiv

Hello Alban, thanks again for another reply.

Yes, I used the USB-hub with its external power supply, 3.5A.

For now I tried the tool you suggested to create the logs. But unfortunately I ran the tool twice:

First run I used it the way it is described on the download page for the tool:

I uninstalled the Displaylink software from "Programs and features" in windows, put the tool to advanced logging, rebooted, installed the displaylink driver and then gathered the information.

Second run I did it as you wanted.

So you get two zips here. Hope it helps?

Best regards, Martin
Attached Files
File Type: zip ZF-NUC_20170721_114118.zip (614.7 KB, 3 views)
File Type: zip ZF-NUC_20170721_114720.zip (752.3 KB, 2 views)

Last edited by clkdiv; 07-21-2017 at 03:08 PM.
Old 07-23-2017, 12:52 PM   #7
AlbanRampon

Arrow

Hello Martin,

There is something very wrong here I'm afraid, but I'm confident we'll get to the bottom of it.
Could you check if the logs were properly collected by looking in the following folder if you have a DisplayLinkManager*.log and/or Firmware*.log?
Folder = C:\ProgramData\DisplayLink\Debug (hidden by Windows by default)

In the logs, there is zero trace of any DisplayLink chip ever connected to the computer.
When you did the removal of the driver, it removed everything so the history so that's somewhat expect not to have old data.
With the second logs, I have nothing either, even in Device Manager or the Microsoft Installer logs. That second part (setuapi) lists what the OS has seen and done (very useful).

With what I have, I believe the displays don't enumerate on USB. So our driver is not even invoked by Windows.

Would you have a non-NUC machine on hand?
If so, would you please install 8.0M3 on that machine, disconnect it from the Internet, enabled advanced logging, and then connect one display on it, wait 2 minutes, and collect logs, then disable advanced logging? Did you get the display running? It may take up to 1-2 minute to reflash the firmware on these, provided the device is recognised (Windows USB connection sound and Device Manager will tell you if the device is recognised or not).
Then, on the NUC, remove the DisplayLink driver and connect the device. Do you have enumeration (sound and visible in Device Manager)? Because you're on Creators' Update, install from Windows Update is quick and painless.

Kind regards,
Alban

Old 07-24-2017, 06:45 PM   #8
clkdiv

Hello!

Still no solution here. This is really sad, I bought two ASUS 169B+ monitors three months ago and I actually don't want to return them, if possible.

However I bought a USB 3.0 to HDMI converter today (j5create, 60$), and this one is running fine on a USB 3.0 port. I assume there is a DisplayLink driver running it too?

The problem is: I have to run three monitors at once from the NUC (two public displays and a control monitor). If this turns out to be impossible, I have to return the NUC itself. But since the USB 3.0-to-HDMI converter worked from scratch today, I think I will have to buy another USB 3.0-to-HDMI converter and two "real" monitors while returning the ASUS monitors. Don't like that at all, actually, because I really liked them.

So I am still hoping there is someone having an idea how to make the ASUS 169B+ monitors run on my NUC. Help is really appreciated!

Thanks a lot.

Martin....

Last edited by clkdiv; 07-24-2017 at 06:54 PM.
Old 07-24-2017, 06:52 PM   #9
clkdiv

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbanRampon View Post
Hello Martin,

There is something very wrong here I'm afraid, but I'm confident we'll get to the bottom of it.

Alban
Hello Alban, did not see your reply when posting my desperate post just some seconds ago.

You are right, the monitors don't seem to be recognized at all. The device manager in Windows normally recognizes any USB device, before the drivers are installed. But connecting the ASUS monitors to my NUC does not do anything, there is literally no response at all. This is so strange, since both monitors run very fine and reliable on my much older ZOTAC ZBox.

Tomorrow I will do what you suggested: connect them to the old PC and send the logs. Thanks a lot so far...

Martin.

Last edited by clkdiv; 07-24-2017 at 06:55 PM.
Old 07-26-2017, 11:03 AM   #10
clkdiv

Hello Alban,

I ran the Setup (8.2M3) on another machine (my ZOTAC) and assured the C:\ProgramData\DisplayLink\Debug to be empty before. Disconnected the machine from internet, switched to advanced logging tool and plugged in the monitor.

Monitor was recognized as device, then was disconnected after maybe 20 seconds, then reconnected again and then works like charme now (seemed to me that driver installed). But this is my ZOTAC PC, here evrything was fine for months now, both ASUS 169B+ working flawlessly.

On the NUC still really NOTHING happens when plugging in the monitor, nothing but the monitor showing the ASUS logo, then becoming somewhat grey (black with backlight on) for some seconds, then being and staying pitch black. There is no C:\ProgramData\DisplayLink\Debug-folder on the NUC either, I suppose that would be generated when the drivers install, right? But obviously they don't... When plugging in the monitor there is no response in the device manager and also non in "USBDeview", a tool to list all UDB devices. I attach the list created by that tool to this message too, maybe it is of some use? (Please have a look at USB Root Hub 3.0!).

Ok, I hope this helps. Thanks a lot! Martin...
Attached Files
File Type: zip ZOTAC1_20170726_110317.zip (761.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: zip USB Devices List NUC.zip (2.8 KB, 2 views)
File Type: zip USB Devices List ZOTAC.zip (7.9 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by clkdiv; 07-26-2017 at 11:06 AM.

Tags
168b+, asus, asus 169b+, intel, intel nuc, nuc