Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Mac Software

Old 04-16-2021, 05:07 PM   #1
mrburney

Default Need Dock Recommendation

I just upgraded from a 2016 13" MBP with Touch Bar to a new M1 13" MBP (16GB RAM / 1TB SSD). I had used the old laptop in clamshell mode, hooked up to two external monitors.

The laptop hooks up over Thunderbolt to a CalDigit TS3 Plus that itself is hooked up to an ASUS VK228 (via an HDMI to USB-C cable) and an ASUS VE228 (via an HDMI to DisplayPort cable).

I've come to learn that the M1 MacBook Pro will not natively work with two external displays and that the CalDigit TS3 Plus is not compatible with DisplayLink. From what I can gather, if I want to drive two external monitors, I will need to install DisplayLink Manager (which I've done) and to purchase a DisplayLink compatible dock.

Can someone recommend a DisplayLink compatible dock for me to purchase? My preference would be for something I could buy from either BestBuy or MicroCenter and pick up today. My whole workflow feels disrupted and I need to get things back to normal with two screens side-by-side as quickly as possible.
mrburney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 06:42 PM   #2
gloriouslobster

I'd go with StarTech: https://smile.amazon.com/StarTech-co.../dp/B00OD37KHG

I have the dual display StarTech adapter but only use one monitor on it, so it's overkill. I imagine the single display StarTech adapter will work just as fine.

I just ordered a Caldigit TS3+ as well to replace my buggy Elgato dock. I'm using it with an M1 MacBook Air.
gloriouslobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 08:01 PM   #3
JanB

For just this purpose I have purchased the

Kensingtion SD4780P USB-C Dual 4K Docking Station

This is one of the few docking stations that support 10GBit. I have not found a docking station that supports Thunderbolt and DisplayLink.

One 4K monitor runs directly through a port on the MacBook, and the second 4K monitor runs through the docking station.

The MacBook charges without any problems, also the clamshell mode works fine (via. Mac hibernation, after a power-off the laptop has to be opened to restart).

The only drawback is that not all resolutions are supported via Displaylink, in particular I miss "looks like 2560x1440".
JanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 07:51 PM   #4
mrburney

Quote:
Originally Posted by gloriouslobster View Post
I'd go with StarTech: https://smile.amazon.com/StarTech-co.../dp/B00OD37KHG

I have the dual display StarTech adapter but only use one monitor on it, so it's overkill. I imagine the single display StarTech adapter will work just as fine.

I just ordered a Caldigit TS3+ as well to replace my buggy Elgato dock. I'm using it with an M1 MacBook Air.
Happy to report that the StarTech adapter you pointed me to works beautifully with the CalDigit TS3 Plus and I'm back to using two external displays in Clamshell mode.
mrburney is offline   Reply With Quote