Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Linux and Open Source

Old 05-31-2020, 10:59 PM   #11
Bbar747

Default Same here

I am using the new dell xps 9300 connect to the dell d6000 running ubuntu 20.04 and unfortunately this is run extremely slow. On ubuntu 18 it all worked just great and now on the 20.04 its a nightmare . I have to leave my lid open to be able to work using the monitor. Thank you
Bbar747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 07:34 AM   #12
sproell

I have the very same issue on my Dell XPS 13 9380 with a fresh Ubuntu 20.04.1 installation. It works well as long as the laptop display is in use. When I turn off the laptop display and want to use only the two monitors attached to my USB-C dock, the system becomes unusable.

* OpenGL version string: 4.6 (Compatibility Profile) Mesa 20.1.5 - kisak-mesa PPA
* DisplayLink 5.3.1

It worked well on the same machine using Ubuntu 18.04.

*Fix*

Applying the XServer patch seems to solve the problem: https://www.displaylink.org/forum/sh...ad.php?t=67148

Last edited by sproell; 08-17-2020 at 08:04 AM.
sproell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 06:16 PM   #13
kishornfumble

same issue is with me.
kishornfumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 07:44 AM   #14
Froidas

The same problem with my Dell.
The patch helped for couple months, but it stopped working recently for some reason. I updated everything in Ubuntu and applied the patch again - external monitors do not turn on at all. DisplayLink device is visible, network is working via it, but not the displays.

I can share specs, versions if that helps, just please tell what you need to know.
But it doesn't look like DisplayLink is keen on solving this problem.
Froidas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 06:13 PM   #15
thopiekar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbar747 View Post
I am using the new dell xps 9300 connect to the dell d6000 running ubuntu 20.04 and unfortunately this is run extremely slow. On ubuntu 18 it all worked just great and now on the 20.04 its a nightmare . I have to leave my lid open to be able to work using the monitor. Thank you
Don't know how it was in Ubuntu 18.XX, but I'm really pleased with the performance on Ubuntu 20.04 now. I'm collecting all my efforts in a Debian package, which allows to install the driver incl evdi and only requires a reboot.
If there is anyone who has a workaround or whatever solution for the throttle after a closed lid, please let me know!
Apart from that all works nicely (including asking for license agreements and a clear note that I'm not owner of the software included in my package).
thopiekar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 02:24 PM   #16
Azorian

Smile New Finding To Help You All

For those of you who are still dealing with this issue by using a work around like keeping your laptop display on, you may not have to.

After reading many of these trouble reports, I have noticed a commonality that has led to this outcome for many. Since many of you upgraded from an older install where X11 was default, that was retained during your upgrades to Ubuntu 20.04. A fresh install of Ubuntu 20.04 however will enable the use of Wayland instead of X11 directly.

This matters because there is an issue with using DisplayLink in this particular configuration (specifically with X11) as documented here: https://github.com/DisplayLink/evdi/issues/181

I don't know what your display manager configuration is so I can't necessarily tell you how to properly enable Wayland on your system but if you're running Ubuntu 20.04 with Gnome 3 then you can edit "/etc/gdm3/custom.conf" and find the line that sets the "WaylandEnable" setting under the "daemon" section. Change this setting to "true" which should look like "WaylandEnable=true".

Using Wayland seems to get around the issue for me pretty well as I am now able to turn off my laptop display or close the lid without any noticeable performance hit.
Azorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 12:01 AM   #17
zwhitchcox

Default Workaround

This is fixed up stream on xserver-xorg-core now, the distros just have to merge the change.

there is a workaround right now by adding

```
LIBGL_DRI3_DISABLE=true
```

to your /etc/environment file
zwhitchcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 09:18 PM   #18
peddanet

Default Workaround with fixed kernel v5.4

For me one (bad) solution here works, I tried to describe it here as far as I have experienced it, my external monitors now worked:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/1358...-2021-after-up

But that means going back to kernel v5.4 (probably also any kernel up to v5.5) and fix it there. You do not have to follow my steps to go to Ubuntu 21.04. At least I think this was only party of my way.

The problem is that the sources of evdi has slightly changed to support modern kernels up to v5.13. Some pointer prototypes changed, But that would mean that just compiling and installing the new evdi driver would fix it for the new kernel >v5.11. But for my experiences that is not enough. External monitors are then detected but system freezes immediately after login. So I guess the DisplayLink App is somehow involved and must comply to the evdi interface.

Is there any way to get to this sources to just fix this quicker?

Last edited by peddanet; 08-27-2021 at 09:20 PM.
peddanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 11:37 AM   #19
perceval

Default same here

I have the same problem, my second screen is really slow and my cpu is heating a lot.
I'm on Ubuntu 20.04 frsh install on a Asus vivobook laptop with a AMD Ryzen CPU.
Closing or opening the lid does not change anything. I tried using X11 and Waylan with the same bad results.

I don't know what to do, could DisplayLink fix the driver?
perceval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 11:21 PM   #20
justtotellyouthanks

Default Works

Had to create an account to thank you. Not sure what this does but this solved my issue on ubuntu 20.04.3 , gnome 3.36.8 and windowing system x11. Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zwhitchcox View Post
This is fixed up stream on xserver-xorg-core now, the distros just have to merge the change.

there is a workaround right now by adding

```
LIBGL_DRI3_DISABLE=true
```

to your /etc/environment file
justtotellyouthanks is offline   Reply With Quote