Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > Alpha, Beta Software Testing Programs > Closed Alpha and Beta Programs > CLOSED: Windows 8 Software
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-26-2012, 02:53 AM   #1
BurningOrange

Default W8CP + Displaylink v6.3

The v6.3 driver appeared to work fine initially, and has resolved the former Metro application bug, but there is a new issue.

I have a tablet slate computer (Samsung Slate 7) running W8CP. It is connected to three external monitors (1 x HDMI, 2 x USB Displaylink) via a dock (Samsung Slate 7 dock).

The issue is a corrupt display. The scenario is as follows.
  1. Start from the normal state: tablet on + docked + 3 monitors.
  2. Hot undock (tablet still on): the computer adjusts itself to display only on the tablet screen. Everything is fine.
  3. Put to sleep. The tablet sleeps fine.
  4. Wake from sleep: the screen is now corrupt on the tablet.
  5. Now hot dock (tablet is on and still corrupted): the screen is restored to normal and the 3 external monitors are also fine. Everything is back to normal.
The corruption appears as random colour patterns, some flashing, some not (like a video memory issue). The computer is still responsive to input. When docked again, everything and all displays return to normal.

I have tried other scenarios (sleep then wake while docked; sleep, undock then wake, i.e. cold undock; USB monitors only; HDMI only; complete uninstall; etc) and they all work fine. It is only a hot undock issue.

Attached is the debug file.
Attached Files
File Type: zip SETT-SLATE7_20120525_192807.zip (4.98 MB, 774 views)
Old 05-30-2012, 03:56 PM   #2
sky4vip

6.3 just makes *ALL* of my displays quit outputting, pernamently, whether or not they're connected. I have have the pluggable 2ka, lenovo u460m, and three external: vga, hdmi, and the 2ka. No combination of no external, plugable only, etc etc etc works, forced to roll back.
Installed new copy of w8cp clean, only updated the drivers via windows update, then install 6.3, and still same behavior.

Cant give log b/c the system restore deletes it, and I have no way to access it (short of pulling hard drive and buying connectors I dont have to attach to non-development desktop). Sorry to all.

6.2 continues to work more or less fine in this setup.

***edit*** the displays quit upon installation of driver with plugable attached, never to return again, regardless of what displays are (or arent) plugged in, including scenerio with no external displays plugged in. tried several different scenerios, but as I have to system restore or do the clean install to try them (depending on the troubleshooting), havent tried every possible combination, just basic (plugable ONLY external display attached, only that and hdmi, etc).

Last edited by sky4vip; 05-30-2012 at 03:59 PM.
Old 05-30-2012, 06:25 PM   #3
mlukaszek

Hi,

@BurningOrange: Thanks for the logs, they were passed to the team that works on our Windows 8 project and apparently there are some interesting details in them. Can't promise resolution yet, but it's definitely something that will be looked at.

@sky4vip: could you share details of your setup? Ideally, it would be great to have logs captured by our debug tool on the machine that's failing with 6.3 right after installation of 6.3 on your copy of Win8, but before connecting a device. (if you don't connect a device, chances are you'll be able to safely uninstall, without doing system restore)

Thanks,
Michal
Old 06-01-2012, 08:56 PM   #4
sky4vip

@Michal - here is the logfile. Thx; confirmed same behavior (at least, externally/user facing) on W8 RP.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlukaszek View Post
Hi,

@BurningOrange: Thanks for the logs, they were passed to the team that works on our Windows 8 project and apparently there are some interesting details in them. Can't promise resolution yet, but it's definitely something that will be looked at.

@sky4vip: could you share details of your setup? Ideally, it would be great to have logs captured by our debug tool on the machine that's failing with 6.3 right after installation of 6.3 on your copy of Win8, but before connecting a device. (if you don't connect a device, chances are you'll be able to safely uninstall, without doing system restore)

Thanks,
Michal
Attached Files
File Type: zip BEN_COMPUTER_20120531_182701.zip (181.4 KB, 1000 views)