Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Windows Software
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-24-2016, 03:14 PM   #1
Kyzer4689

Default Mult. Targus Docks, Drivers download each time

Our firm moved to Targus Docks for a majority of users. Each user has a dock on their desk and there are "hotel spots" throughout the office which consist of a Targus dock. We moved to an open floor space and users are now working within different departments and also sitting in "phone rooms" essentially just small offices with a Targus Dock to put their laptops on.

The problem we notice is the docking procedure when a user moves from their desk and docks in a different area. Windows installer goes through its whole thing of installing the Display Link Ethernet and video mirror drivers. Sometimes they fail and we end up having to completely uninstall and reinstall the display link software. Obviously this causes downtime we would like to avoid.

Once the user has successfully docked to that device, re-docking seems to have no issues. It is almost like each dock uses a different ID or something (Targus Dock 1, Dock 2, etc.)

Docks we use are - Targus ACP77USZ
OS - Windows 7 x64 SP1 Enterprise
Models - HP Elitebook 820/850, HP Elitebook 2560/2570 with up to date drivers and BIOS.
Display Link Software - happens on 7.9M5 and on older 7.9M3

We have tried different USB 3.0 driver installs just in for comfort as well as video drivers and get the same issues. Display Link Support Tool finds no issues compatibility wise either.
Kyzer4689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 03:30 PM   #2
rsenio

Uhh, thats normal. Grab a USB printer, install it. Grab another printer of the same make and model, plug it in. Same thing happens, its nothing to do with DisplayLink in this case.
rsenio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 04:09 PM   #3
Kyzer4689

obviously i understand keyboard and mice being a possible delay but these docks are all the same exact model, all that is plugged in is a usb keyboard and mouse that MAY be different. All printers are network printers so they would need downloaded.

Why if they have already been docked on the same exact hardware, would they need to download a new video and Ethernet driver when it already exists from their first dock? This wasn't an issue when we had HP universal docks, if a user switched seating positions and docked everything came right up, you heard the new device added sound but there was no driver download.

So what you are saying is if i had one laptop that was docked at someones desk and all was working fine and I have 400 identical "guest" dock setups and they decide to use a different one; it would require a 1-3 minute driver install for:

Display Link Display Adapter
Display Link Display Adapter
Targus Audio
Targus Giga Ethernet
Targus USB 3.0 DV2K Dock w Power

that just doesn't make sense to me

I could see a keyboard and mouse being installed if a different model but i don't understand why the displaylink display adapter needs to install separately for every different dock.

Maybe it is just something Windows 7 wise? I did the same dock redock test with a windows 10 laptop and the display came right up on 6 different docks it was never on before. All it grabbed was the different mouse and keyboard.

Last edited by Kyzer4689; 03-24-2016 at 04:16 PM.
Kyzer4689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 03:00 PM   #4
AlbanRampon

Arrow

Hello,
Each device is different. Serial numbers will and hardware revision may be reported as different.

Even connecting the same physical mouse (not just same model, the same mouse) will get Windows to install drivers for the new USB port to which it is connected. It's not driven by the docking station, it is the way the operating system works. At least that's how it has behaved for my standard mouse, keyboard and USB keys for Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 machines I have used.

You can make it quicker by disabling the search to Windows Update: http://support.displaylink.com/knowl...upgrading-from

Kind regards,
Alban

Where to download the latest DisplayLink drivers
How to clean up a corrupted installation
How to report issues to DisplayLink for a speedy resolution
AlbanRampon is offline   Reply With Quote