Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Windows Software
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-27-2011, 12:27 PM   #11
Wim

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovalhed View Post
I have HP Pavilion dv7 with USB media port replicator using DisplayLink software driver USB Graphics WIndows Driver 5.6M1 which installed itself as
version 5.6.31854.0 on my computer. I am using 2 external monitors with laptop; Samsung model SyncMaster 930B monitors.
Computer continues to lock up, freeeze and completely stop at unpredictable random times and needs complete power shut down in order to have computer function again.
Does anyone have any idea what new work around I can use to fix this problem with DisplayLink issue?
Thanks
I've merged this as it looks like a similar issue. Could you follow the instructions in the above post also?

Thanks

Wim
Wim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 02:39 PM   #12
nothappy

Where is the guide you mention about the debugging information? I checked under Starter and Recovery the settings are “write an event to the system log”, “Kernel memory dump”, override any existing file. When the freeze happens I can’t find any information in the event log and there is no blue screen.
When I run displaylink debug tool there was a memory dump file but is too big, the zip is 143mb, I can’t upload it.
nothappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 11:24 AM   #13
Wim

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothappy View Post
Where is the guide you mention about the debugging information? I checked under Starter and Recovery the settings are “write an event to the system log”, “Kernel memory dump”, override any existing file. When the freeze happens I can’t find any information in the event log and there is no blue screen.
When I run displaylink debug tool there was a memory dump file but is too big, the zip is 143mb, I can’t upload it.
Does the date of the MEMORY.DMP file align with the date and time of the freeze? This may have been caused by a different issue. If it does look to be from the freezing issue, then I'll send you details to upload the crash.

Thanks

Wim
Old 08-01-2011, 07:54 PM   #14
Pleasefix

Unhappy HP Docking Station Freeze

I am experiencing the same problem on all 15 of my laptops and docking stations. I have since detached my docking stations and my laptops work fine. Is there a fix for this? When I have the docking station plugged in and uninstall the Display Link drivers, it works fine for a while, but then always freezes back up. I have installed, uninstalled, the drivers from Factory to the latest and have had the same results. I am using a HP DV6TSE, with i7 840, 8GB RAM and an ATI mobility 5600 Premium Video Card. I have uninstalled the ATI Catalyst software and have the same issue with or without the Displaylink installed. Is there a battle going on between ATI and Displaylink. More importantly, how do we fix it or disable Display link in the HP Port Replicator?
Pleasefix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 07:43 AM   #15
Mats

Quote:
Originally Posted by louis View Post
Hi All,

Do you have any update on this?

We are having the same issue on hp 5320 m probooks with the USB 2.0 docking stations.

sometimes we can't reboot the laptop without first taking the battery out. it just sits there with the fan going in overdrive with a black screen.
Hi,
Do you have any leads on this issue?
At our company some of the users are experiencing the same problems. Laptop freeze and the only way to fix it is to hard reset with the on/off button. Sometimes after it happens the computer does not start up, it stops before the boot and the fan goes overdrive. The battery needs to be removed or it will happen again at the next power off/on.
The problem only happens if it’s docked to the docking station. Sometimes many times a day.

HP 5320m with i5 core. Windows 7 pro 64bit.

Let me know if I can give any info that would be of any help since this is intolerable.
Mats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 09:07 AM   #16
Wim

Hi All

I'm sorry you all seem to be having the same problem. This is something we want to get to the root cause of. We are trying to reproduce this on some HP laptops we have here, but have had no success so far. So we need your help to find the root cause.

I'm assuming that the whole PC has frozen up at this time (including the laptop screen). Also, I assume that pressing Num lock or Caps lock on the keyboard does not toggle the LED on the keyboard, which means that the PC has really locked up.

We really need the crash information from the system when this occurs. It is possible to force the PC to blue screen and write the dump information. If you are experiencing this problem, please could you follow the instructions below and create a full memory dump when the system is frozen. Once you have done this, let me know and I'll send you details of where to upload this.

Forcing a System Crash from the Keyboard
For further information see http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff545499.aspx

It is assumed that the system has been set-up to to produce Kernel Mode dump files. It might be worth checking. For further info see http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff542953.aspx. Note, you want to write a "Full memory dump" not a small memory dump.

For PS/2 keyboards ensure that the following registry key exists HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\i8042prt\Parameters\ . Create a value named CrashOnCtrlScroll , and set it equal to a REG_DWORD value of 0x01.

reg add HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\i8042prt\Parameters /v CrashOnCtrlScroll /t REG_DWORD /d 1

For USB keyboards ensure that the following registry key exists HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\kbdhid\Parameters\ . Create a value named CrashOnCtrlScroll , and set it equal to a REG_DWORD value of 0x01.

reg add HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\kbdhid\Parameters /v CrashOnCtrlScroll /t REG_DWORD /d 1

Restart the system.

Initiating a crash dump
After the above has been done, the keyboard crash can be initiated by using the following hotkey sequence:

Hold down the rightmost CTRL key, and press the SCROLL LOCK key twice, while the system is frozen.
Old 08-03-2011, 03:29 PM   #17
i gemini

I am having the EXACT same issue. I had to disconnect and uninstall the software to remain functional here at work. Will be following this thread in hopes of a resolution. My system is:

HP Pavilion DM4
Windows 7 Pro
4 gb ram
Intel I5 processor
i gemini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 04:04 PM   #18
Wim

Quote:
Originally Posted by i gemini View Post
I am having the EXACT same issue. I had to disconnect and uninstall the software to remain functional here at work. Will be following this thread in hopes of a resolution. My system is:

HP Pavilion DM4
Windows 7 Pro
4 gb ram
Intel I5 processor
Could you try following the steps above to create a Blue screen, as this will give is more information. We're still trying to reproduce this. We have a number of HP laptops under soak test to try and show the issue, but no joy so far.

It would be useful if people can also post the type of DisplayLink device they have found the issue with, so we can see if its related to particular hardware.

Also, some other things for anyone to try who has this issue:
  • Could you check that you have the latest BIOS installed for the laptop. There do seem to be BIOS updates for the systems listed here, and some of the release notes do refer to problems with the video, which DisplayLink could provoke.
  • On switchable graphics systems, try operating with Intel integrated graphics only and see if the problem goes away. This is not a solution but may help us get close to the cause.

Thanks

Wim
Old 08-03-2011, 06:17 PM   #19
i gemini

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wim View Post
Could you try following the steps above to create a Blue screen
As I mentioned, I had to uninstall the software. Freezes were more than I could handle here at work.
Quote:
post the type of DisplayLink device they have found the issue with
HP usb media port replicator p/n VY87AA#ABA

Quote:
Could you check that you have the latest BIOS installed for the laptop.
In my case, I had to most current BIOS update prior to uninstalling the software.

Quote:
On switchable graphics systems, try operating with Intel integrated graphics only and see if the problem goes away. This is not a solution but may help us get close to the cause.
Give me directions for dummies on how to do this. I'm not an IT guy, just trying to solve my own problems since I have no IT guy.
i gemini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 08:37 AM   #20
Mats

Default No crash dump

Hi Wim,
Unfortunately it's not possible to force a crach dump the way described. When the computer freeze it gives no reaction on the 'right Ctrl + Scroll lock two times'.

My display device is a HP
Regulatory Model Number: HSTNN-S02X
Assembly P/N : 589100-001
Spares P/N : 589144-001
S/N: JP1035C37a Rev:A

BIOS is the most recent found on HPs download site.
F.03 - 30 Sep 2010

Running on Intels display adapter.

/Mats
Mats is offline   Reply With Quote