Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Windows Software

Old 08-20-2016, 12:06 AM   #21
johnnewmun

Alban - You can make excuses until the cows come home, but Mag is 100% accurate. I have spent far too many hours troubleshooting this problem thinking it was something other than DisplayLink, including having a Dell tech come out and go through my computer. As soon as I disconnect my mouse and monitors from the device that houses your DisplayLink chip, the problem completely goes away. I've done everything your troubleshooting says from disabling the Intel Thermal Framework and everything else you're trying to point a finger at, but in the end it is a DisplayLink problem, and it's as simple as that.

The problem is 100% related to both the new DisplayLink driver and Windows 10 Anniversary, and frankly it's driving me insane. I get a stutter/lag every few minutes for probably about a second, which NEVER happened before Windows 10 AU or before the last DisplayLink driver update. PLEASE get this fixed as soon as possible. It has to be one of the most irritating issues I have ever dealt with, having to constantly deal with a stutter/lag. For heaven's sake, it's not a coincidence that there are 10 people on this thread using different devices with the DisplayLink chip all having the same problem. Stop making excuses and fix the stupid problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mag View Post
AlbanRampon: so I've done some more tests:

First as I tried to keep the drivers installation as clean as possible I always uninstalled drivers the following way:
- In Device Manager: uninstalled the display and ethernet adapters and sound controller from the dock device with the option "Delete the driver software for this device"
- In Device Manager: uninstalled the external keyboard and mouse as well
- disconnected the dock
- for the standalone driver packages (either from Your or Dell website) I also uninstalled the software from Programs and Features
- restarted
- run the DisplayLink Installation Cleaner
- restarted

From this state, I tested the following 3 driver packages, one by one (each one always from this "clean" state):
1. 7.9 M7 from Dell (Dock_DL_Win_A00_Setup-47MTD_ZPE.exe) with Windows Update drivers blocked
2. 8.0 M1 from Your website (DisplayLink USB Graphics Software for Windows 8.0 M1.exe) with Windows Update drivers blocked
3. 8.0 M0 (most likely) from Windows Update (installed by just connecting the dock and waiting for the drivers to install from Windows Update automatically

Both those 8.0 drivers did behave identically regarding the lag so I won't mention them separately in the following text.

1. Replace display mode (Show only on 2):
- 7.9 M7: no lag
- 8.0: lag

2. Extend display mode:
- 8.0: no lag (the only case when the 8.0 drivers didn't exhibit that lag)

3. In Replace display mode, disconnect & reconnect the dock at runtime:

4. In Replace display mode, disconnect mouse from dock & connect it directly to the laptop USB port:

5. In Replace display mode, use the laptop builtin touchpad instead of the USB mouse:

All these tests were performed after a full system restart, no sleep & resume, no user applications were running, I just logged in and moved the mouse and watched what happens.

Dock was always connected via the USB 3.0 connection - always the same USB port.

All devices are wired, no wireless mouse or anything like that.

Last edited by johnnewmun; 08-20-2016 at 12:11 AM.
johnnewmun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 03:47 AM   #22
microdave

Still getting major lag from this - it's affecting productivity in a big way. Is this something DisplayLink is looking at?
microdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 08:07 AM   #23
BeLu

Default Mouse & Keyboard lags since Win10 Anniversary Update

Hello,
I am facing the same problem! Since the Win10 Anniversary Update I see many lags when using mouse and keyboard. I dont know if the lag comes from the input devices or from the video output (e.g. never checked if videos do lag also without input). I can also see high CPU load of "Windows Driver Foundation - Benutzermodus-Treiberframework-Hostprozess" ( WUDFHost.exe ) since the update. I already tried to completely uninstall the DisplayLink software using the cleaner tool and reinstall the latest 8.0 M1 software but still facing the same lags.

Never had any problem before the Win10 Anniversary Update.

My Setup:
Dell XPS 13 9350 (Service-Tag: J0KWL72)
Dell USB3.0 dock D3100
2 Monitors connected in extended mode (One via DisplayPort, One via HDMI)
Notebook Monitor closed while connected to the Dock

I always made all updates coming through the Dell Update and Dell Command Update software, so Drivers and Firmware should be up-to-date.

I really hope there quickly comes an update which eliminates these lags, as it is really annoying!

Best regards

EDIT: Just found the following answer of some DisplayLink-Technican
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wim View Post
Hi

We are aware of this issue and it should be fixed in V8.0 M2, released at the end of August.

Thanks

Wim
Hopefully this will fix the problem end of August...

Last edited by BeLu; 08-22-2016 at 08:17 AM.
BeLu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 02:43 PM   #24
DavidHawkins

I have exactly the same issue as BeLu on a Dell XPS13 and the lag is very annoying especially as this is my Work PC. Cannot wait for this update to resolve this. I have reduced CPU by wiping software off my PC but the lag is slowly increasing when CPU spikes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeLu View Post
Hello,
I am facing the same problem! Since the Win10 Anniversary Update I see many lags when using mouse and keyboard. I dont know if the lag comes from the input devices or from the video output (e.g. never checked if videos do lag also without input). I can also see high CPU load of "Windows Driver Foundation - Benutzermodus-Treiberframework-Hostprozess" ( WUDFHost.exe ) since the update. I already tried to completely uninstall the DisplayLink software using the cleaner tool and reinstall the latest 8.0 M1 software but still facing the same lags.

My Setup:
Dell USB3.0 dock D3100

I always made all updates coming through the Dell Update and Dell Command Update software, so Drivers and Firmware should be up-to-date.

I really hope there quickly comes an update which eliminates these lags, as it is really annoying!

Best regards

DavidHawkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 01:28 PM   #25
DaveTheBrave

I created an account just to confirm I'm having the same issues. Using a Dell e7450, after upgrading to Anniversary + 8.0 M1 mouse lag and stutter was immediately noticeable. I had no such issues with 7.9 M7 + Win10 1511.

I have provided my Displaylink troubleshooting ZIP in case it helps in any way.

Edit: I find it helps to leave the laptop lid open. Slight lag is still there but stutter is almost completely gone.
Attached Files
File Type: zip DAVHA-E7450_20160823_082120.zip (936.2 KB, 1 views)
DaveTheBrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 03:40 PM   #26
johnnewmun

BeLu - Unfortunately, I think the tech you are quoting is referring to a different issue. Alban is the tech originally responding to this thread, but it seems he's given up - probably because he knows he is wrong, and doesn't know what else to say. I also hope the problem is fixed in M2, but I don't have a lot of hope since the techs now seem to be ignoring the issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeLu View Post
Hello,

My Setup:
Dell USB3.0 dock D3100

Best regards

johnnewmun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 03:47 PM   #27
AlbanRampon

Not really. If I really didn't care, I wouldn't have asked the questions...
But to solve an issue, one must first understand it. Thank you for providing the info, once I'm back in the office I will look into it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by microdave View Post
Alban, I get that you guys want to separate yourselves from these bugs since your hardware doesn't involve mouse inputs, but plain and simple the DisplayLink drivers are causing input lag on Win10 anniversary.

I'm using extended desktop, exact same set up as I was using prior to Win10 anniversary, except when I'm connected through DisplayLink my inputs are laggy, just as the others on this thread are commenting on.

Glad to provide you with any diag information you may need.

EDIT: Wait a minute, you guys totally do offer drivers for the USB docking station I'm using: http://plugable.com/drivers/displaylink

These drivers need an update.

Where to download the latest DisplayLink drivers
How to clean up a corrupted installation
How to report issues to DisplayLink for a speedy resolution
AlbanRampon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 04:14 PM   #28
AlbanRampon

John,

It's not about excuses, read the other threads before make a judgement.

Have you created the support case as advised everywhere (including all my posts) when something is absolutely urgent? If so can you give the ticket number so I can look at it when back in the office?
I understand you don't care, but I am entitled to take a sick leave when unwell, so I did.

I have asked questions to get a reproduction internally. Just repeating it lags has not really helped much. But knowing things like applications running, how the devices are connected would.
There could be different reasons resulting in the same symptom.
I never talked about Intel Thermal Framework as I don't see any relevance here. Are you sure you are reading the correct thread?

If someone told you that 8.0 M2 was solving this, you can ask for a 8.0 M2 release candidate through a support ticket to validate this. As I have been out of the office, I haven't read all tickets and all posts.

Regards,
Alban

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnewmun View Post
Alban - You can make excuses until the cows come home, but Mag is 100% accurate. I have spent far too many hours troubleshooting this problem thinking it was something other than DisplayLink, including having a Dell tech come out and go through my computer. As soon as I disconnect my mouse and monitors from the device that houses your DisplayLink chip, the problem completely goes away. I've done everything your troubleshooting says from disabling the Intel Thermal Framework and everything else you're trying to point a finger at, but in the end it is a DisplayLink problem, and it's as simple as that.

The problem is 100% related to both the new DisplayLink driver and Windows 10 Anniversary, and frankly it's driving me insane. I get a stutter/lag every few minutes for probably about a second, which NEVER happened before Windows 10 AU or before the last DisplayLink driver update. PLEASE get this fixed as soon as possible. It has to be one of the most irritating issues I have ever dealt with, having to constantly deal with a stutter/lag. For heaven's sake, it's not a coincidence that there are 10 people on this thread using different devices with the DisplayLink chip all having the same problem. Stop making excuses and fix the stupid problem.

Old 08-23-2016, 04:44 PM   #29
AlbanRampon

Hello DaveTheBrave,

Thank you for including the log files.
I see USB communication issues between the dock and the host computer.
Would you please be able to create a support case by sending an email to Technical_Enquiries @ DisplayLink.com asking for 8.0 M2 Release Candidate and adding reference 23105? There is a change made in the code going in the dock (not the computer) which should hopefully remove the USB errors and allow us to see more clearly.

Kind regards,
Alban

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTheBrave View Post
I created an account just to confirm I'm having the same issues. Using a Dell e7450, after upgrading to Anniversary + 8.0 M1 mouse lag and stutter was immediately noticeable. I had no such issues with 7.9 M7 + Win10 1511.

I have provided my Displaylink troubleshooting ZIP in case it helps in any way.

Edit: I find it helps to leave the laptop lid open. Slight lag is still there but stutter is almost completely gone.

Old 08-23-2016, 04:45 PM   #30
AlbanRampon

Hey microdave,
Would you please be able to provide log files as described in my forum signature so I can look into it?
Kind regards,
Alban

Quote:
Originally Posted by microdave View Post
Still getting major lag from this - it's affecting productivity in a big way. Is this something DisplayLink is looking at?

Tags
m8.0