Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Windows Software
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-29-2012, 11:00 PM   #1
dearnest

Default NVIDIA DRIVERS and Displaylink

I've been chasing this problem all day and found a solution, so I'm posting it. Displaylink had been working great (Win 7 Home Prem) until I installed a NVIDIA FX3800, an older GPU, but with the latest drivers 310.70. I thought all was well, but then started noticing that when closing Internet explorer or Live Mail, the Desktop Windows Manager would crash. And then I noticed the DWM would crash on reboot. I did all the narrowing down of conflicts using msconfig, etc. and narrowed it to the Displaylink driver. If it was on, DWM would crash. Off, all was well. I tried all versions of the Displaylink drivers going back to 5.6 and on. Nothing helped. Then I found a post on a two year old NVIDIA discussion about newer NVIDIA drivers conflicting with Displaylink. They recommended rolling back the NVIDIA drivers to version 258.96. I was a little concerned because Pro Tools recommended having the most recent NVIDIA drivers. But I uninstalled the 310.70 drivers and installed the 258.96 drivers and all is well. No conflicts. Conclusion: work needs to be done on someones side to resolve the conflicts. Cheers!
dearnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 05:46 PM   #2
m7ia

Thanks for this message; I also have this problem and using the latest NVIDIA drivers (for my Quadro NVS 3100M). I'll give this a try and report back. I do also hate rolling back drivers, though.

ETA: I'm using a StarTech USB32HDDVII on a USB 2.0 port on Win 7 Ultimate x64.

Last edited by m7ia; 12-30-2012 at 05:48 PM.
m7ia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:08 PM   #3
JamesH

Hi,

We're actively working on this issue with the v310.70 drivers.

Thanks,
James
JamesH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:38 PM   #4
haxxbajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesH View Post
Hi,

We're actively working on this issue with the v310.70 drivers.

Thanks,
James

Any clue when the fix should arrive?
haxxbajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:32 PM   #5
kleineMax

Question Current driver (7.1) incomaptible to Geforce driver 310.90?

Hello,

at the weekend i tried to install the newest driver for my Geforce GTX 460, the 310.90. While installing it i got an error message and since then i got the crash-report "Desktopwindow managmet doesnt work anymore" after every startup of Windows 7 (x64). Even a clean install of the geforce driver didnt worked, the Samsung U70 USB-montior still worked.

But cause i couldnt get rid of the crash report, i reinstalled Windows 7.
On this clean system i installed the 310.90 gpu driver(no errors) and the 7.1 Displaylink driver. But my U70 stays dark and only the the blue status LED keeps flashing.

Is there a compatibility problem with the new 310.90 driver from Nvidia?

PS: Seems like a MOD did some work ^^ and put my post in this thread.

Last edited by kleineMax; 01-10-2013 at 12:43 PM.
kleineMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:02 PM   #6
bricko

Seem to having same type of issue. Have new Dell S2340T Touch screen with custom build pc with Asus Rampage III with 24gb ram. Had Nvidia 570 but after loading Win 8 and the new monitor....system unstable and went south on me....keep getting Explorer crash on exit...then said kernal driver on nvidia crased....cant get to win 8 now. Thought it was video card going bad.....had new Nvidia 650ti installed with newest nvidia drivers...then downloaded YOUR latest driver for display link. No luck. nada.

When are you expecting to put out this new driver.....cant use this new monitor at all....whats up with this.

Going to contact Dell and warn them that Win 8 and their stuff is IFFY.
bricko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 03:38 PM   #7
Mel_D

Default Driver issue also

Just bought a new Alienware M18x with Nvidia GeForce GTX 675M. Same issues with driver. Hoping this forum gets updated when new driver is released? Any ETA yet?
Mel_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 12:40 AM   #8
ahurst

Quote:
Originally Posted by bricko View Post
Seem to having same type of issue. Have new Dell S2340T Touch screen with custom build pc with Asus Rampage III with 24gb ram. Had Nvidia 570 but after loading Win 8 and the new monitor....system unstable and went south on me....keep getting Explorer crash on exit...then said kernal driver on nvidia crased....cant get to win 8 now. Thought it was video card going bad.....had new Nvidia 650ti installed with newest nvidia drivers...then downloaded YOUR latest driver for display link. No luck. nada.

When are you expecting to put out this new driver.....cant use this new monitor at all....whats up with this.

Going to contact Dell and warn them that Win 8 and their stuff is IFFY.
Same issue with my Dell S2340T....but I have Intel HD 2000 integrated graphics.
DisplayLink and Win 8 are not working together.
ahurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 07:08 PM   #9
Dan
Banned

There will be a new release very shortly (7.1M1) which fixes an issue we found with NVidia. Please tell us if you still have a problem then.
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 04:09 PM   #10
bradblog2

Any update on this issue? I've had the same problems as described above, so I'm just using the stock driver that comes with my laptop.

Another thing - NVIDIA just released v310.90 - Ideally I'd like to install this. Will the software fix for 310.70 be compatible with 310.90??

http://www.geforce.com/drivers/resul...5/nvidiaupdate

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by bradblog2; 01-12-2013 at 04:12 PM. Reason: New Version Released
bradblog2 is offline   Reply With Quote