Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Windows Software
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-15-2011, 01:30 PM   #1
uk_martin

Default Windows 7 Update kills USB DisplayLink

Hi

I have 2 USB DisplayLink monitors which for the last year, and until yesterday (14/12/2011) were working fine. Overnight, there was a Windows Update which automatically installed itself and rebooted my PC. Since the reboot, try what I may, I can't get the 2 additional monitors to work again.

The DisplayLink icons are visible in the Devices Control Panel, but seem to do nothing there. The NVidia Control Panel doesn't see the DisplayLink items at all, and in trying to discover the DisplayLink monitors, nothing is seen, and the monitors remain on standby even when a rigerous search of monitors is selected.

Can anyone see why the Windows Update should have killed off the monitors? All assistance gratefully received.

Thanks in advance.

Martin

System: Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 32bit
Graphics Card: NVidia GeForce G9100M G
uk_martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 02:05 AM   #2
Llamax

Thumbs down

Same thing here. Win7 x64 cannot even see the device in the display manager but it appears in device manager.
Llamax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 03:27 AM   #3
lbjandai

i seem to be having the same problem. My father has a Kensington Notebook dock, and the dispaly was working 3 weeks ago. Last week, my dad got a bunch of viruses and had his entire computer restarted and everything. I've tried re-installing the software from the Kensington website, but that said the displaylink software wasnt compatible with the graphics card or OS - which doesnt make much sense since it worked before... So it told me to go to the displaylink website to look for "updated software." I installed the latest, and it still doesn't work. Now I think my problem and the problem described above are related.
lbjandai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 03:23 PM   #4
Wim

Quote:
Originally Posted by uk_martin View Post
Hi

I have 2 USB DisplayLink monitors which for the last year, and until yesterday (14/12/2011) were working fine. Overnight, there was a Windows Update which automatically installed itself and rebooted my PC. Since the reboot, try what I may, I can't get the 2 additional monitors to work again.

The DisplayLink icons are visible in the Devices Control Panel, but seem to do nothing there. The NVidia Control Panel doesn't see the DisplayLink items at all, and in trying to discover the DisplayLink monitors, nothing is seen, and the monitors remain on standby even when a rigerous search of monitors is selected.

Can anyone see why the Windows Update should have killed off the monitors? All assistance gratefully received.

Thanks in advance.

Martin

System: Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 32bit
Graphics Card: NVidia GeForce G9100M G
Could you post the log files? The Windows updates you are pushed depending on device, but there should not have been any new software pushed out lately.

The log files should give me more information as to what is going on.

The Kensington Dock problem is a different question, now answered here.

Thanks

Wim
Wim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 03:18 AM   #5
Llamax

Thumbs down Files for Win7 System w/ USB DisplayLink Not Activating

Find my attached debug files for Win7 x64 w/ USB DisplayLink. USB used to work in XP, now confirmed not functioning on two separate Win7 x64 laptops.

USB device simply will not come alive, no green light.
Attached Files
File Type: zip X2_20111217_192529.zip (559.8 KB, 4 views)
Old 03-16-2012, 09:46 AM   #6
Wim

Can you update your NIVIDIA graphics driver. I don't think you are using the Windows 7 version:

Graphics: NVIDIA Quadro NVS 110M (NVIDIA)
Graphics Driver: 7.15.11.7967 Dated 2009-03-06

I suspect this is the problem.

Wim
Old 03-16-2012, 01:26 PM   #7
bgilis

Hello,

I have the same issue on my pc. Third time it happens and this time, impossible to get my dual screen back.

Install is ok but when we plug the usb cable, nothing happens. Going to device manager show no usb product but the device manager keeps refreshing every 5 seconds. Disconnect the product stops the refresh. When no driver is installed Windows 7 recognize the product the doesn't find any driver.

We tried, uninstall/install, change usb cable, change usb port, go back to previous software. No driver update for my video card available (core i5, HD graphic 2000).

Here is my log file.
Attached Files
File Type: zip S07W001_20120316_145331.zip (543.3 KB, 4 views)
bgilis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 06:07 AM   #8
Llamax

Hi Wim, thanks for the feedback. The latest Nvidia reference driver available for my Quadro NVS 110M is dated 2/11/09. After downloading and attempting installation, it says no compatible hardware found so I'm stuck with the Win7 WDM driver.

How do you propose I upgrade the driver?
Old 03-19-2012, 08:41 AM   #9
Wim

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgilis View Post
Hello,

I have the same issue on my pc. Third time it happens and this time, impossible to get my dual screen back.

Install is ok but when we plug the usb cable, nothing happens. Going to device manager show no usb product but the device manager keeps refreshing every 5 seconds. Disconnect the product stops the refresh. When no driver is installed Windows 7 recognize the product the doesn't find any driver.

We tried, uninstall/install, change usb cable, change usb port, go back to previous software. No driver update for my video card available (core i5, HD graphic 2000).

Here is my log file.
That sounds more like the adapter does not quute have enough power. Make sure that the adapter is connected to an externally powered USB Hub or directly to the laptop.

Wim
Old 03-19-2012, 08:45 AM   #10
Wim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llamax View Post
Hi Wim, thanks for the feedback. The latest Nvidia reference driver available for my Quadro NVS 110M is dated 2/11/09. After downloading and attempting installation, it says no compatible hardware found so I'm stuck with the Win7 WDM driver.

How do you propose I upgrade the driver?
This might be a "special" for the laptop manufacturer, meaning that only the manufacturer can distribute the driver. Very annoying as it stops you using the latest NVIDIA drivers.

I'd check if there is an updated version from your laptop manufacturers website. It probably won't be as up to date as the versions from NVIDIA, but should be better than the pre-Windows 7 version you have at the moment.

Wim