Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Windows Software

Old 10-31-2021, 02:59 PM   #1
Meadster

Unhappy New Inspiron and the sleep of Death...

Hi, my first post on here but not new to Display Link products or docking stations.

I am experiencing an issue whereby when connected to my docking station, the laptop crashes in sleep mode.

My current setup is:

Inspiron 15 5510 laptop (Nvidia graphics) has 2 usb-a and 1 thunderbolt 4 slot on Windows 10
Samsung CRG49 monitor
Wavlink WL-UG69DK7 Dock - need a 5k dock to run the monitor (normally connected via usb-a)

Now, before I bought the new Dell computer, I am/ was using the above setup with my Lenovo Ideapad on Windows 10 which works absolute fine, all day long with no issues. I also use a Dell Lattitude (work laptop) again all day long, no issues.

However, the new Dell Inspiron crashes when connected to the Wavlink Dock when it goes into sleep mode. The laptop works fine when it is stand alone and not connected to the dock so Dell say not our problem.

So far I have tried:
  • Displaylink drivers - Release: 10.1 M2 | Sep 2, 2021 (10.1.2875.0)
  • Deleted the intel graphics drivers and reinstalled
  • Deleted the NVIDIA graphics drivers and reinstalled
  • Tried older versions of the NVIDIA graphics drivers, no change
  • Disabled both of the above alternatively
  • Uninstalled the Intel EMI and reinstalled it, + turned off the power management check box allowing the computer to switch it off
  • Changed the Hibernation settings to never on mains power and battery
  • I have updated all my drivers for various components
  • I have run the diagnostics through the BIOS and F12 key - all apparent ok, no errors
  • BIOS version is 2.3.0
  • Downgraded BIOS to 2.1.1, restarted and the computer automatically updated back to 2.3.0 so no idea
  • Tried turning off the c-state settings in the BIOS, it will let you switch it off but then won't save it switched off.
  • Tried turning off connected standby by doing the following(this did not work):
    1. Start the registry editor (regedit.exe).
    2. Move to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Power.
    3. Double-click CsEnabled and set to 0, then click OK
  • Changed what the power button does, again, no change
  • Tried a combination of options from within the advanced power options to no avail, including:
    1. Networking connectivity in Standby
    2. Desktop Background settings
    3. Wireless Adapter Settings
    4. Sleep (inc. Legacy RTC mitigations)
    5. Hibernate after
    6. Allow wake timers
    7. usb settings
    7. PCI Express
  • Updated all intel drivers from Dell and then installed more up to date ones from intel direct
  • Tried plugging into different usb ports, no change
  • Tried a different Docking Station, no change. Used one by i-tec, still the same problem persists
  • I have reset the laptop back to factory settings, no change
  • Tried running the powercfg /a in the cmd window, power states 1, 2, 3 are not supported
  • I use the same system set up to plug my Dell Lattitude (work computer) in and my lenovo Ideapad in, guess what, no problem. Updated the Ideapad to Windows 11 and it still works fine.

Now, this is really getting my goat as a lot of the time it's constant rebooting the system and re-formatting stuff. I don't really have the time for this.

So, at the moment, the dock is still connected to the monitor to use with my work laptop but to connect the new one, it's connected via the hdmi cable.

Just a thought, and I really don't want to keep on buying docks to test but, is this possibly a case of new laptop tech vs. older dock tech and one doesn't really like the other?

Is this a case of really needing to use either a thunderbolt 3 or 4 docking station? Was unsure about this due to the charging of the laptop through the port and my ignorance about it.

Thanks for reading!

I've got a sinking feeling about the nvidia graphics card after trawling through the forum board....

Last edited by Meadster; 10-31-2021 at 04:05 PM.
Meadster is offline   Reply With Quote