Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Windows Software
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-18-2014, 03:24 PM   #1
BrianGW

Default Windows 8.1 Issue

Hello everyone!

I was running Windows 8 on my laptop with three monitors (one of which was on the display link) and everything was working without an issue. I didn't think about checking the compatibility with 8.1 before doing so and I updated to Windows 8.1. My third monitor promptly stopped working.

Research led me to this article http://www.displaylink.com/support/ticket.php?id=346

When I attempted to install 7.5, I received a UAC prompt (as expected) and then I see for a split second a blue status bar that goes across and then nothing. I am not even sure what that status bar says because it comes and goes so quickly. I went into programs and features to see if anything installed and I didn't see anything related to DisplayLink. I rebooted and it still didn't work. I retried the installation but the same occurred, even after a reboot. I attempted to install the latest version of 7.4 but the same issue occurred. I rebooted, ran the cleaner, rebooted and attempted to install again but the same thing happened.

I have included the output from the troubleshooting tool I have seen other people utilize.
Attached Files
File Type: zip IT-BWEISS_20140205_103801.zip (67.7 KB, 2 views)
BrianGW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 02:16 PM   #2
BrianGW

Anyone able to offer assistance on this one?
Old 03-03-2014, 06:29 PM   #3
olabil

Brian, did you get any feedback or find a resolution for this?

I have the exact same problem with Windows 8.1 Pro on a Lenovo Yoga Pro and ran it throug Plugable support and then here, see http://www.displaylink.org/forum/showthread.php?t=62405

Thanks,
Ola
olabil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 06:39 PM   #4
BrianGW

Ola,

Actually, I was able to figure out how to resolve this on my own and completely accidentally, which is the best part. I only discovered it a few days ago. I was able to install the software using the MSI installer. You can probably get it on their site here, if you have a company that you can tell them and get verified.

Note : After installation you NEED to reboot, even though the software / installer does not tell you that.

Direct download link : http://cdgenp01.csd.toshiba.com/cont...5_M0_MSI_2.zip

The site page is http://support.toshiba.com/support/m...ext=1200006618

Just as an aside...the funny part is that I was looking for drivers for my USB monitor (hence the second URL that brings you to a USB monitor driver page) and found out that they make both devices and the driver package was the same. I installed this and rebooted.
Old 03-03-2014, 07:09 PM   #5
olabil

Brian,
Thank you so much! This helped me as well; this is exactly what I was searching for! I wonder why neither Plugable nor DisplayLink support could figure that out (basically to have an msi instead of an exe for these cases). Feels like a lot of time and frustration spent in vain.

All the best and have a wonderful rest of the day!

/Ola
olabil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 11:54 AM   #6
Wim

Will the setup.exe install if you run the setup with a command line switch:

Quote:
setup.exe -ignoreCompatibility
Also - are you running Microsoft Antimalware? A recent update seems to have caused installations to take up to 10 mins to start, so can look like it is not running at all. If MsMpEng.exe is taking a lot of CPU after starting the install, then this will be the issue.

Wim
Wim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 01:40 PM   #7
pixelwiz

Thank you, the Toshiba links totally fixed this problem for me too!
pixelwiz is offline   Reply With Quote