Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Windows Software

Old 06-03-2013, 05:47 PM   #21
JamesH

Hi,

This may well be a hardware issue - I'd suggest checking you have the latest USB 3.0 hub firmware for your dock (from the manufacturer's website).

Are you able to try the dock connected to a USB 2.0 port on your notebook?

If neither of the above is an option then you may need to return the dock.

Thanks,
James
JamesH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 01:18 PM   #22
Ruud

Default Cannot find firmware or newer chipset driver

Hi James,

I looked at the dell.nl site for an USB dock driver/firmware update, but there is none. The driver update (10/5) is probably your latest updated driver? I cannot install that one because the zip file is giving extraction errors..

Also my system reports it has the latest chipset drivers, I installed the recommended Dell update drivers for it.

So.. i do not now if i have an USB2.0 port on my laptop, nor do i want to use that, because I like to have proper bandwidth for my gigabit ethernet and dual display?

I can send you 2 more blackouts I experienced in the meantime.. is there nothing in them you can use to fix your drivers somehow?

Best regards
Ruud
Ruud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 05:50 PM   #23
JamesH

Hi,

The firmware for your dock is one and the same as that for the ACP70 which can be found here: http://www.targus.com/us/download.as...7&sku=ACP70USZ

Thanks,
James
JamesH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 07:55 AM   #24
Ruud

Default Acp075eu

Hi James,

Thanks for the heads-up and the link. My model-number is the ACP075EU version. Do you think that the firmware update for the ACP070USZ is compatible with my model?
Does the firmware installer show which version is currently used and does it allow me to save that firmware (so I can put it back when it doesn't work..)
I just don't want to end up with a bricked device
Old 06-06-2013, 10:23 AM   #25
ramon

Hi all,

I have exactly same problem like Ruud.

In our company we have 8 Dell XPS 13" ultrabooks and Dell D3000 (ACP075EU) docking stations and the problem is the same: disconnecting USB and ethernet randomly, blinking...10 times a day..
There are isntalled Windwos 8 and Windows 7 64bit - there the same issues on both systems.

I've tried almost everything. Installing the latest drivers from Displaylink, the latest USB 3.0 drivers from Dell, latest graphic drivers...still the same issues..I'm frustrating because nothing is helping...

We have also Kensington USB 3.0 docks (sd3000v) and there is blinking not that often like with Dell Docks.

The last hope I see in the firmware from Targus but I need to know that I don't brick the device because it's not exactly same type...

I'm thankful for any advice!

ramon
ramon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 02:13 AM   #26
Ploddy

Unhappy

Reporting back.

Since my last post I have upgraded to 7.2M1 and for a couple of weeks still had the same issue - freezing at seemingly random intervals, doing different tasks, but most commonly within windows explorer or Chrome.

In the last couple of days I upgraded the firmware on the Targus dock, which did not fix the problem either.

I have tried upping to 'High Performance' power setting, in the hope that will help. Can anyone advise though, in the advanced power settings, under USB settings, there is the option to enable or disable USB selective suspend. Which should it be?
Ploddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 07:50 AM   #27
uboel

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesH View Post
Hi,

Please run through this troubleshooting guide:
http://www.displaylink.org/forum/showthread.php?t=896

It would also be useful to know what applications are running when the blank screen appears.

Thanks,
James
Hi James,

Before posting on the forum, I had already made a tour of all the corresponding posts and this one was my first reading.

Concerning the applications, my boss mainly uses:
- Outlook 2010,
- Excel 2010,
- Word 2010,
- IE 10
- Firefox (latest version)

The machine has a fresh Windows 8 64bits installation. The dock was connected at the end of computer installation process, with the latest Kensington drivers package available on their web site at that time installed [ Kensington sd3000v/sd3500v USB 3.0 docking stations (K33970/K33971/K33972/K33973) and K33928 Video Adapter Software Driver Version 7.0.43577.0 ].
After reading some of the forum posts I uninstalled this package and installed the 7.2M1 package available from here. I also changed the Windows Power Options settings to High performances.

This seemed to correct the dock "complete failures" preventing to use the Ethernet connection and the USB ports...but the "black screens" issue remained.
The only workaround we found so far was to plug the second screen directly through the HDMI port onto the computer, leaving the dock as Ethernet connection (as the XPS 13 doesn't have a native Ethernet plug) and USB switch.

My boss is not at the office this week but when he gets back I will install the debug tools and ask him to run those when a problem occurs. I'll send you the logs as soon as I get them.

Kind regards,

Ulric
uboel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 07:59 AM   #28
Ruud

Default Firmware OK?

Hi Ploddy, Ramon and Ulric,
Thanks for the heads up on your situations.
Ploddy: did you try the targus firmware on a dell dock 3.0 (ACP075EU)?

I didn't try the firmeware update yet, still waiting on a confirmation that this ACP70USZ firmware is compatible with my ACP075EU model.

Best regards,
Ruud
Old 06-07-2013, 08:05 AM   #29
uboel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruud View Post
UBoel: did you use the ethernet-port on the docking station at the time you tested it on the Dell Vostro 5650? My XPS doesn't have a normal ethernet port so i'm forced to use the one on the docking station..
Yes I did (and still does as I bought another dock for my Vostro), the purpose being to connect as less cables as possible when arriving at the office!

As explained the same dock behaves quite differently when attached to the Vostro or the XPS...

Since installing the 7.2M1 version of the drivers on my Vostro I encounter a little issue...but nothing I can't live with...I now have to unplug the USB cable between the dock and the computer before shutting down Windows...if I don't, Windows never finish the shutdown procedure. I didn't find any message in the event viewer telling me what is happening in this case...strange...

Cheers,

Ulric
uboel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 08:41 AM   #30
Ruud

Hi Ulric,

So at least based on your experience it seems to be related to the specific hardware in the XPS13 or driver version for that hardware.

Thanks for the heads up.
Ruud