Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Windows Software
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-28-2013, 10:02 AM   #11
Ruud

Default Black-out without auto-recovery

Hi James,

I just encountered another displaylink crash. This time the two screens went black, but weren't restored at all, so I had to turn to the display on my laptop to restore things to normal

After an service restart for the displaymanager, 2 things happened: the screens (and mouse etc) restored and an updated version was detected and downloaded and installed.
I had to do an system restart as well.

After the restart the second log-files were created just for reference (_115439.zip)
I sent the logfiles to the email address provided earlier
Ruud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 10:09 AM   #12
Ruud

Default Receiving logfiles OK?

Hi James/Wim,

Just curious, did the logfiles I sent you arrive OK?
(especially the last 2 today because I was having some mail problems sending them out)
Old 05-28-2013, 02:09 PM   #13
JamesH

Hi,

Thanks for the update - I'm seeing something similar with Chrome 27 but haven't been able to reproduce it just yet.

Thanks,
James
JamesH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 06:01 AM   #14
uboel

Default Dell XPS, Kensington USB 3.0 Docking Station with Dual DVI/HDMI/VGA Video (sd3500v)

Hi,

Some time ago, I bought a Kensignton USB 3.0 Docking Station with Dual DVI/HDMI/VGA Video (sd3500v) and tested it on my Dell Vostro 5650 for a complete month without any kind of trouble.

Happy with the product, I bought another one for my boss when ordering his Dell XPS 13...but with his computer I ran into the same problems some other users encountered (black screens, network disconnections, usb disconnections).

After reading the posts from this forum, I installed the 7.2M1 version of your drivers and set the Windows 8 (64bits) power options plan to "High performance" instead of the default "Balanced".

My boss still complains about black screens appearing from time to time. When happening the only solution seems to reset the dock by unplugging both power cord and usb cable, waiting a couple of seconds and putting them in place...hopefully my boss is the patient kind!

Did you manage to spot the source of the problem? Is there a new driver beta version in progress that could solve this issue? Is there anything I can do to help you (like sending you debug logs)?

Kind regards,

Ulric Boël

ICT manager @ Produpress (Belgium)
uboel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 11:01 AM   #15
JamesH

Quote:
Originally Posted by uboel View Post
Hi,

Some time ago, I bought a Kensignton USB 3.0 Docking Station with Dual DVI/HDMI/VGA Video (sd3500v) and tested it on my Dell Vostro 5650 for a complete month without any kind of trouble.

Happy with the product, I bought another one for my boss when ordering his Dell XPS 13...but with his computer I ran into the same problems some other users encountered (black screens, network disconnections, usb disconnections).

After reading the posts from this forum, I installed the 7.2M1 version of your drivers and set the Windows 8 (64bits) power options plan to "High performance" instead of the default "Balanced".

My boss still complains about black screens appearing from time to time. When happening the only solution seems to reset the dock by unplugging both power cord and usb cable, waiting a couple of seconds and putting them in place...hopefully my boss is the patient kind!

Did you manage to spot the source of the problem? Is there a new driver beta version in progress that could solve this issue? Is there anything I can do to help you (like sending you debug logs)?

Kind regards,

Ulric Boël

ICT manager @ Produpress (Belgium)

Hi,

Please run through this troubleshooting guide:
http://www.displaylink.org/forum/showthread.php?t=896

It would also be useful to know what applications are running when the blank screen appears.

Thanks,
James
Old 05-29-2013, 05:07 PM   #16
JamesH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruud View Post
Hi James,

I just encountered another displaylink crash. This time the two screens went black, but weren't restored at all, so I had to turn to the display on my laptop to restore things to normal

After an service restart for the displaymanager, 2 things happened: the screens (and mouse etc) restored and an updated version was detected and downloaded and installed.
I had to do an system restart as well.

After the restart the second log-files were created just for reference (_115439.zip)
I sent the logfiles to the email address provided earlier
Hi,

Just to clarify, are you still seeing the blank screens with the latest DisplayLink software?

Thanks,
James
Old 05-30-2013, 10:03 AM   #17
Ruud

Default Still having black-outs

Hi James,
Yes I can confirm i'm still having 'black-outs' will send logfile.zip to the email address provided hereafter.
To me is seems the problem arises most of the time (perhaps all of the time) when starting to use a remote location, like connecting to an update site from my eclipse editor, or when my beatport (in chrome27) switches to the next song etc.
Old 05-30-2013, 10:11 AM   #18
Ruud

Quote:
Originally Posted by uboel View Post
Hi,

UBoel: did you use the ethernet-port on the docking station at the time you tested it on the Dell Vostro 5650? My XPS doesn't have a normal ethernet port so i'm forced to use the one on the docking station..
Old 05-31-2013, 11:38 AM   #19
Ruud

Default More Blackouts

See Logfiles I sent for details.
I just ahd another blaockt-out and I believe yesterday as well (which I didn't make seperate logfiles for)
Any luck finding the cause of this? (and possibly a solution?)
Old 05-31-2013, 04:04 PM   #20
Ruud

Thumbs down Aaaarrgggh pelnty blackouts today!

Hi Wim and James,

The last hour I suffered 3 black-outs in a row. This was highly annoying since I had to finish some work before the week-end.

Between these crashes I did not close/restart any programs and the black-outs are repeatedly happening when my system (8Gb) is using a lot of memory (around 4Gb)

Do you want me to turn on the more precise logging information???

Please help, i'm getting a bit frustrated.