Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Windows Software
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-17-2013, 10:15 AM   #1
Ruud

Default Windows8 Dell USB 3.0 Dock freezes mouse, monitor, ethernet

Hi you all,

I love my new Dell USB Dock 3.0 on my Dell XPS 13 (Win 8 64 bits, FullHD 13 inch monitor version).

However I get multiple freezes every day when using it.

Sometimes they are minor freezes like 1 second mouse movement stalls, but larger freezes (10 seconds+) also occur. In these circumstances mouse movement is complete lost, ethernet connection drops and after a few seconds both my monitors go black. Then after 3-4 seconds laptop bleeps again and monitors are restored. Applications however show all windows on main monitor so I have to rearrange them again on the second monitor.

I downloaded the latest drivers today and are using them now (display adapter: 7.2.46733.0, displaylinkmanager 7.2.47873.0)

Had some minor mouse freezes already, none of the big monitor blackouts occurred so far.

Keep you posted on my results.

I saw other posts with debug information provided. How can I do something similar when I get the blackouts again?

Best regards,
Ruud
Ruud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 11:11 AM   #2
Wim

For the ~1 sec see the dev build in this thread:

http://displaylink.org/forum/showthr...?t=2070&page=9

The more serious issue seems to be the whole dock dropping off the USB bus. When this happens is it just the video, or do other devices connected to the dock do the same thing eg mouse, keyboard etc.

Trying to work out if it's our chip disconnecting or the Root USB 3.0 hub of the dock.

Oh - and the logs files can be gathered by following the steps in this article:

http://kb.displaylink.com/269

Wim
Wim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 07:24 AM   #3
Ruud

Thanks for the feedback Wim.
I set my power plan to 'high performance' to see if that allready helps with the occasional mouse stuttering

I didn't collect logfiles yet, will read article later on.

I do have one more clue to add to my story: after installing 7.2M1 I only had one event when monitors, ethernet, keyboard and mouse disconnected.
Keyboard: couldn't type, mouse: couldn't move, monitors went dark after a few seconds, and my application reported later that my network server had been disconnected.

The interesting thing is (maybe), I swapped my left and right mouse button a few hours before this event and after everything returned to 'normal' they had reverted to their normal usage from before I changed them..

Thanks again for the updates, going to check out the logfiles
Old 05-21-2013, 07:35 AM   #4
Ruud

Smile

Just installed the displaylink support tool and resetted my debug logs.
Doing this resulted in exactly the kind of 'black-out' event I get after a freeze-up: monitors going to black, pling-plong sounds etc.

Will post the logfiles when I get a freeze-up.
Old 05-21-2013, 11:48 AM   #5
Ruud

Default posting debugging information

Hi,

I just had an black-out event and gathered the debugging information. I'm willing to send them to you, but preferably not by posting them to this public forum.. Is there another way?
Old 05-21-2013, 01:05 PM   #6
Ruud

Default second black-out event

where can I send the second debugging zip file? Perhaps in a private message to Wim?
Old 05-21-2013, 01:45 PM   #7
JamesH

Hi,

Just sent you a PM.

Thanks,
James
JamesH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 04:52 AM   #8
Ploddy

Hi all,

I have exactly the same problem with exactly the same system (except I run Windows 7 Pro).

I am very interested in the outcome because I am at my wits end having to unplug and re-plug a couple of times a day (or restart).

My drivers are 7.2M1.

My key issues are:
- a 'stutter' every now and then with mouse movement
- a totally random screen 'freeze' where the 2x display link monitors stop working (I can see the last image on the monitors but are unresponsive). Laptop still works fine, but on the laptop screen only.
- Occasional 'blank screen' on the 2x displaylink monitors, seems to relate to activity over GigE, but not confirmed.

Any help would be most welcomed.
Ploddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 06:58 AM   #9
Ruud

Hi Ploddy, Wim and James,

Just an heads-up: I looked at some reports that google chrome might also be to blame for the occasional mouse stuttering. That day, when hovering back and forth over some buttons in a webpage in chrome I did get mouse stutters every now and then. I could reproduce these in Firefox, but with much more difficulty.
I installed the chrome 27 update yesterday and haven't had a 'black-out' event since, allthough mouse stuttering still remains.
I'm using chrome quit heavily (I guess): playing streaming audio all day long. And I work in Eclipse most of the time also (java-based editor).

I hope Wim and James find some clue on what is going on from the logfiles I sent to them.

Best regards,
Ruud
Old 05-27-2013, 08:55 AM   #10
Ruud

Default First 'black-out' event after update to Chrome27

Hi,

Just experienced a regular 'black-out' event after my upgrade to Chrome27
Some details:
- Using Eclipse Juno, Chrome27, FireFox, FileZilla, Thunderbird.
- Playing streaming audio via Beatport (on Chrome27).
- Connected to server with FileZilla aborted also as well as Eclipse connection to local-server:
Error: Disconnected from server: ECONNABORTED - Connection aborted