Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Windows Software

Old 12-08-2014, 05:26 PM   #11
bernie

Default If you have a Surface

Since about mid-November, Microsoft appears to be deploying a Windows Update just to the Surface Pro 1/2/3 that causes DisplayLink screens to go blank, even though all signs at the software level are that everything is fine.

If you don't have a Surface, it's likely a different issue. On the Surface, the Intel GPU driver version when the problem is present is 10.18.10.3496 dated 3/7/2014.

We've been able to solve the problem in most cases by manually installing a newer Intel driver version. We've posted steps on how to do that here:
http://plugable.com/2014/12/03/how-t...aphics-drivers

If you can, post back here if this solves the issue for you. That'll help us and others understand whether there's one problem here or several.

And for customers with Plugable products, thanks for your patience and please don't hesitate to email us directly at support@plugable.com -- we'll work to solve any remaining issues.

Thank you!
Bernie Thompson
Founder, Plugable Technologies
bernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 09:35 PM   #12
mellow-yellow

Default it works

yes, this process works fine! Prior to November's update, the video driver (or the DisplayLink driver) seemed to handle small text on Surface Pro 3 better than it does now, but oh well... at least my external monitor works again!
mellow-yellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 03:01 PM   #13
Expat

Hi Bernie, et al,

So I followed the instructions in your post above, upgrading the Intel drivers then installing the latest DisplayLink 7.7 M2 software, and it did solve the problem for a while. However, I am back at the same problem again and am out of ideas.

I have confirmed that the Intel graphics driver and the DisplayLink software are at the latest version
The monitor shows on the DisplayLink utility in the system tray as available
I have nothing plugged into the mini-video port
The external monitor shows in the Windows Screen Resolution configuration
When I plug the external monitor in, Windows beeps to recognize it, the screen flickers, and for *all* intents and purposes it is live, but with just a blank screen.

I did notice that when I change the "Extend to" and the screen flickers briefly as it always does, if I move the mouse over to the extended monitor the mouse pointer does appear briefly then "fade to black" (sorry, couldn't resist that ;-)

I'd be happy to run your support tool against the Surface if you could provide a link, and am up to almost any testing (I'd rather not re-image as other than this it appears to be fine)

Thanks for any help you can offer.
Expat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 11:37 PM   #14
bernie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expat View Post
if I move the mouse over to the extended monitor the mouse pointer does appear briefly then "fade to black"
If you can see the mouse or window momentarily on the DisplayLink-attached screen, I think you're dealing with a separate issue.

If you have a Plugable brand product, please don't hesitate to email us direct support@plugable.com

If it's another product, if you can describe in a bit more detail how it starts working, how it fails, and what it takes to display anything again (unpower, then repower dock or laptop? Or just move mouse away and back?) that might give others enough context to help.

Thanks!
Bernie
bernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 09:08 PM   #15
JP2015

Default Thank you

Bernie, thank you!

I have been having this problem with a customer's Surface Pro 3 and just today with my own - your instructions to upgrade the Intel driver worked perfectly.

Thank you again.
JP2015 is offline   Reply With Quote