Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Windows Software

Old 12-10-2016, 02:14 PM   #1
FelR

Default Support for WMS2016

Hello,

when will support for Windows Multipoint Server 2016 be added or do you have any workarounds?

When using the Displaylink device in console mode everything is working fine.
If I switch to station mode, only a black screen is displayed.

The solution using the OSBASE driver is not working, because WMS2016 uses the new usb graphics adapter feature coming with Windows 10 1607.

Thanks for your help,
FelR
FelR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 11:24 AM   #2
AlbanRampon

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by FelR View Post
Hello,

when will support for Windows Multipoint Server 2016 be added or do you have any workarounds?

When using the Displaylink device in console mode everything is working fine.
If I switch to station mode, only a black screen is displayed.

The solution using the OSBASE driver is not working, because WMS2016 uses the new usb graphics adapter feature coming with Windows 10 1607.

Thanks for your help,
FelR
Hello FelR,

OSBASE is not affiliated with DisplayLink and I will not comment on their solution.

I don't have the plan to introduce formal support for this OS at the present as this is the first ever mention I receive. However, would you please be able to post the ZIP file created by our customer support tool which will include the logs of the machine when the driver is installed.
I might have an idea of how you could make this work!

Also, do you have details on what you mean by "console" and "station" modes? A link or description would be useful for me to get the principle and consult with our engineers.

Kind regards,
Alban

Where to download the latest DisplayLink drivers
How to clean up a corrupted installation
How to report issues to DisplayLink for a speedy resolution
AlbanRampon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 09:56 AM   #3
FelR

Hello Alban,

here is an excerpt from Microsoft Technet explaining station and console mode in Windows Multipoint Server 2016:

Quote:
MultiPoint Manager includes the following modes to help you perform different types of MultiPoint Services system management:

Station mode: By default, the MultiPoint Services system starts in station mode. While in station mode, the MultiPoint Services stations behave as if each station is a separate computer that is running Windows, and multiple users can use the system at the same time. You and your users can share files and perform the work that you must do.

Console mode: When the MultiPoint Services system is in console mode, you can install and update software and drivers or perform other maintenance tasks. When the system is in console mode, no stations are available for use by other computer users. Such stations are not displayed in MultiPoint Manager.All monitors directly connected to the server are treated as displays of this computer system.
In the attachment you can find the zip file created by the customer support tool.

Thank you for your help,
FelR
Attached Files
File Type: zip RDSSVR2_20161229_104620.zip (249.5 KB, 1 views)
Old 01-25-2017, 10:43 AM   #4
AlbanRampon

Hello,

It looks like this Windows has been recognised by our installer as being able to to use our new driver architecture (the one you mention and we co-developed with MS) and the driver is installed properly. And this is confirmed by the fact you get pixels in a specific mode.

Usually, black displays with backlight would mean we don't get access to the pixels. However, the handing over of the pixels is here managed by Windows itself.

Do you know how the sharing of resource works in multipoint? I am wondering if the peripheral is allocated to a specific user/session and cannot be shared.
This is not an OS we've had experience with.

Kind regards,
Alban

Old 02-02-2017, 04:41 PM   #5
FelR

Hello,

in Windows Multipoint Server all displays are connected to a single machine. On this machine at startup the user "WmsShell" is automatically logged on. Using this account on each display some kind of remote desktop connection is displayed targeting the local host. This method allows to have multiple console sessions on a single machine.

In console mode, the user WmsShell is logged of and you have full control over all connected displays in a single session. In this mode the displaylink adapter is working fine. After the next reboot, when the multiple sessions are created, the display connected by the displaylink adapter is only showing a black screen with backlight and the cursor.

There are official working drivers from displaylink for Windows Multipoint Server 2011, so it would be nice, if WMS2016 was also supported.
http://www.displaylink.com/newsroom/...server-2011-50

Kind regards,
FelR
Old 04-21-2017, 02:24 AM   #6
ericvee

Quote:
Originally Posted by FelR View Post
Hello Alban,

here is an excerpt from Microsoft Technet explaining station and console mode in Windows Multipoint Server 2016:

In the attachment you can find the zip file created by the customer support tool.

Thank you for your help,
FelR
Helo,I'm a new member,How can i download this file?
ericvee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 09:54 AM   #7
AlbanRampon

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericvee View Post
Helo,I'm a new member,How can i download this file?
You cannot download the support file from the forums. This file is intended for DisplayLink technical support employees and does not include anything for third parties.

Old 08-01-2019, 01:34 AM   #8
Kazys

Default The thread dropped, but clearly defines the issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbanRampon View Post
Hello,

It looks like this Windows has been recognised by our installer as being able to to use our new driver architecture (the one you mention and we co-developed with MS) and the driver is installed properly. And this is confirmed by the fact you get pixels in a specific mode.

Usually, black displays with backlight would mean we don't get access to the pixels. However, the handing over of the pixels is here managed by Windows itself.

Do you know how the sharing of resource works in multipoint? I am wondering if the peripheral is allocated to a specific user/session and cannot be shared.
This is not an OS we've had experience with.

Kind regards,
Alban

Hi Alban,

Sorry to waken a dead thread, but this not only describes the specifics it also edges toward some sort of understanding the issue.

I've loaded your latest drivers "DisplayLink USB Graphics Software for Windows (9.2 M0)".

Did you determine this is a Microsoft issue? Can you provide a little update since the last 3 years?

Thanks.
Kazys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 01:31 PM   #9
AlbanRampon

Arrow

Hello Kazys,

There was no answer to the query about the details of the OS so it never went further.

Adding an OS has a significant cost on maintenance, test automation and releasing, so unless there is some volume, with someone looking somewhat committed, I cannot justify the running expense.

Kind regards,
Alban

Tags
sx-4350-wan, wms, wms 2016