Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Windows Software

Old 04-26-2021, 11:24 AM   #1
gavod

Default Problem with Fujitsu PR09

Hi.
This port replicator is driving a LG 4K monitor using DisplayLink from a Laptop running Windows 10.
There are also USB connections (e.g. keyboard and mouse) and ethernet.
All goes well until at some random time, usually when I'm doing something involving the network but I can't be certain of that, the cursor gets sluggish and the cursor graphic doesn't change as it's moved across windows etc. Eventually the network icon changes to indicate that the internet is unreachable and the laptop display comes on, which I guess is when the laptop thinks it no longer has connection to the monitor.
I have discussed this with Fujitsu, we have checked that firmware and drivers are up to date and they have sent me another PR09 to try. This is slightly more reliable (it lasted half a day at first) but it exhibits the same behaviour. If I move the ethernet connection from the PR09 to the Laptop the problem seems to go away; and it also seems to be ok if I plug a ethernet cable into the laptop (in addition to the one in the PR09). So I don't know if it's a network problem that's triggering the failure or if adding the ethernet connection to the laptop simply takes sufficient load off the PR09 to mask the problem.
I switched on logging (including network, in case it's a network issue) and it ran for ten minutes or so before it failed. Once it failed, I gathered the log files, which I have attached. Whilst I was gathering the log files I thought something else had gone wrong as it got to "Gathering netstats" and sat there for more than 10 minutes so I unplugged and replugged the USB connection between the Laptop and the PR09. If this has made the log files unusable please let me know and I'll try again.
The whole point of the setup was to require only a single connection to the Laptop when it's driving the 4K monitor, so having also to plug in an ethernet connection is a major irritation.
Any and all help or suggestions appreciated.
Attached Files
File Type: zip DL_Windows_Logs_20210426_105040.zip (2.50 MB, 0 views)
gavod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 08:27 AM   #2
Yetanotheruser

Lots of people had this problem with the PR09. The solution seems to be to disable PCI Express Power Saving in the Windows Power Management Settings. It worked fine for me after that, no more freezes / blurry cursor etc.

Here's a link to a German language forum post about this: https://administrator.de/knowledge/p...ks-529287.html
Yetanotheruser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 10:14 AM   #3
gavod

Default PCI Express?

Thanks for this, but I don't have the PCI Express option listed in my power settings: see attached. If someone can point me to where I can do this I'd certainly give it a try.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PCI.jpg (63.5 KB, 0 views)
Old 01-25-2022, 10:27 AM   #4
Yetanotheruser

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/...dows-10-a.html
?
Yetanotheruser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 10:27 AM   #5
gavod

Default PCI Express

Ah! It was hidden on my machine. I followed the instructions here to add the option to my Power Options:

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/...dows-10-a.html

So that has let me switch it to "Off" when Plugged in, and we'll see what happens...
Fingers crossed, as this has been irritating me for almost a year now.
Old 01-25-2022, 10:47 AM   #6
gavod

Default Snap!

Swiching off PCI Express power saving was suggested to me when I was fighting this a year ago, but at that time when I discovered that the options weren't available on my machine I didn't find anything about adding them to Power Management settings so I gave up. The tutorial is dated December 2021.
I'm now running with the network through the PR09 and so far so good. It usually dies within a day or two, so I should know by the end of the week.
For the first time since I started on this I am reasonably confident that it might work, so thanks for resurrecting this thread!
Old 02-01-2022, 11:04 PM   #7
AlbanRampon

Arrow

Hello all,

We are working with companies on the laptop side to get this properly addressed without having to edit settings.

For convenience, we made a tool to disable these power management settings when the laptop is AC powered: https://synaptics.com/products/displ...ndows-lpm-tool
Also, this is temporarily rolled out as part of our EXE/MSI installer from 10.2 M0, with the intent to stop deploying that change when the issue is properly addressed: most people won't read the forums.

Regards,
Alban

Where to download the latest DisplayLink drivers
How to clean up a corrupted installation
How to report issues to DisplayLink for a speedy resolution
AlbanRampon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 11:26 PM   #8
gavod

That's potentially helpful, but when you say "AC powered", does that also include being powered through the port replicator (via USB)?
Old 02-01-2022, 11:32 PM   #9
AlbanRampon

Yes, I mean when the laptop is not running on battery.
It could be charging through the dock (via USB Power Delivery) or a separate power supply (barrel or USB Power Delivery), Windows doesn't make the distinction.

Where to download the latest DisplayLink drivers
How to clean up a corrupted installation
How to report issues to DisplayLink for a speedy resolution
AlbanRampon is offline   Reply With Quote