Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Enabled Products > What to buy?
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2023, 09:59 AM   #1
ChewyDaddy

Default Differences between Dell Docks w.r.t. Chipsets / Specs Etc.

Hi All

I've got an old Dell D1000 now driving a 90 degree rotated 1080p Dell monitor over HDMI from an M1 MacBook Air on macOS 13.5.1 and current DL driver version 1.9.0

All good, no complaints yet - haven't been using very long

So, the question is, as I want to have another Dell dock at work, to also driver a 1080p screen over HDMI, is there any benefit in getting any of the other, newer DL-based adapters e.g.

D3000
D3100
D6000
UD22

A. For 1080p?

B. if I ever decide to splash out and get a 2nd 4K screen at either location?

I "guess" what I'm asking is what is the mapping between Dell hardware (easy to buy and supported by work) and DisplayLink chipsets?

Thanks very much for any input anybody can give.

Cheers

CD
ChewyDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2023, 11:09 AM   #2
rboerner
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChewyDaddy View Post
Hi All

I've got an old Dell D1000 now driving a 90 degree rotated 1080p Dell monitor over HDMI from an M1 MacBook Air on macOS 13.5.1 and current DL driver version 1.9.0

All good, no complaints yet - haven't been using very long

So, the question is, as I want to have another Dell dock at work, to also driver a 1080p screen over HDMI, is there any benefit in getting any of the other, newer DL-based adapters e.g.

D3000
D3100
D6000
UD22

A. For 1080p?

B. if I ever decide to splash out and get a 2nd 4K screen at either location?

I "guess" what I'm asking is what is the mapping between Dell hardware (easy to buy and supported by work) and DisplayLink chipsets?

Thanks very much for any input anybody can give.

Cheers

CD
Dell does not appear to provide information regarding which specific DisplayLink chipset is used within their various docking station products.

With that said, you can use the information provided by DisplayLink in regard to the maximum resolution supported by each chipset --> https://support.displaylink.com/know...lution-support combined with the information contained within each docking station's manual to extrapolate what chipset is in use.

If pressed to guess, the D3000 and D3100 are based on the DL-3xxx series of chipsets. The D6000 is based on the DL-6xxx series of chipsets. The model numbers also seem to suggest they originated from the chipset version used.

The D22 dock is less clear in terms of its model number, however the capabilities described in the manual --> https://dl.dell.com/content/manual84...language=en-us would suggest it uses a DL-6xxx series chipset.

As to what to buy, I can only offer my personal opinion, which is if what you presently have meets your needs, then there is no need to change it. But again, that's just my opinion :-)
rboerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2023, 03:23 PM   #3
AlbanRampon

Arrow

Hello,

I'm not convinced the Dell D3000 is still available to buy. The Dell D1000 might, and is based on DL-3900 (like the Dell D3000) giving 2 output through DL technology.
The Dell D3100 has one 4K output but only on DP and only at 30Hz. It is a mature product even if that product is still great to get triple displays universally. All 3 outputs are through DL technology.
The name is bit of a trap (sorry Bob ;p) as it's a DL-5910 chipset in the Dell D3100 dock. It doesn't have charging but you can use on USB-C too with an adapter.

I'd recommend the newer ones based on DL-6xxx. The DL-5xxx 30Hz limit at 4Kdoesn't really offer an optimal experience at 4K. We have also added performance improvements on the DL-6xxx series not available in the older DisplayLink series.
The new ones also have USB-C charging.

D6000 and UD22 use the same DL-6950 chip, which give 2x 4K outputs at 60Hz, but the video is different on the DisplayPort Alternate-Mode. USB Power Delivery (Charging) and a few other things are improved on the UD22, but the D6000 has both headphone and line out.
So, it depends on features you want, really.

Thanks,
Alban

Where to download the latest DisplayLink drivers
How to clean up a corrupted installation
How to report issues to DisplayLink for a speedy resolution
AlbanRampon is offline   Reply With Quote