Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > iPad Application
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-10-2011, 01:09 PM   #1
rmc47

Default Allow manual configuration of target computers (when PC not on same WiFi)

It'd be really useful to allow manual configuration of the target computer: at work, my desktop PC is connected to the wired LAN, and the iPad on the wireless LAN. These are on separate subnets, but full routing exists between the two: both devices can see each other, but whatever auto-discovery the DisplayLink app uses obviously doesn't work.

It'd be great if I could just manually say "look, that IP address there, that's the one you want, m'kay?" :-)

Thanks!
Rob
Old 01-10-2011, 04:44 PM   #2
Pawel

Lightbulb

Both the iPad and the host PC must be on the same IP network and broadcast must be enabled on that network. We are currently working on adding the feature of entering an IP address manually on the iPad. Once this is done, you will be able to update the DisplayLink app for free.

Regards
Old 01-12-2011, 11:21 AM   #3
Pawel

Lightbulb

Let me clarify this. The Windows PC must be connected wired or wirelessly to the same router as the iPad. Other network configurations are also supported, please refer to this FAQ for further info.

Regards
Old 01-12-2011, 05:22 PM   #4
Dav1d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawel View Post
Let me clarify this. The Windows PC must be connected wired or wirelessly to the same router as the iPad. Other network configurations are also supported, please refer to this FAQ for further info.

Regards
Sorry but I don't believe you have clarified this at all, either the Windows PC MUST BE connected to the same router, period; or it doesn't have to be connected, to the same router. Most home users will be connected to the same router, yet people under these conditions are reporting the inability of their iPad to see their PC. What would be helpful is knowing what ports DisplayLink needs to be open.

I strongly suspect that there is more to it than simply being attached to the same router. As an example UPnP uses TCP port 5000, wouldn't ones LAN need to be open/pass port 5000 for method one from this FAQ to work? What I appear to be seeing is DisplayLink uses the NetBIOS name of the PC on the iPad. At least in my case it does not appear to be using the UPnP name.

Last edited by Dav1d; 01-12-2011 at 05:37 PM.
Old 01-13-2011, 09:54 AM   #5
Pawel

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawel View Post

Regards
As stated in the previous post, the Windows PC must be connected wired or wirelessly to the same router as the iPad. As for the port numbers DisplayLink uses, for discovery we use UPnP (multicast address 239.255.255.250, port 1900) and broadcast/unicast port 0xAF21. Connection channel uses port 0xAF20. Data and control use ports 0xAF00 and 0xAFFE. Please note: these may change in future releases.

Pawel