Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Windows Software

Old 12-05-2017, 05:19 PM   #1
alevine93

Default Only 1 Monitor works at a time with Dual USB Monitors

Hi All,

Equipment:
I have two mobile USB DisplayLink monitors that are using DL125 DisplayLink chips. They each use a single USB 2.0 connection for both power and data.

Scenario:
What I am trying to do is plug both monitors into my Dell Latitude E5270 laptop to have 2 external monitors. Using windows 10.

Issue:
I am only able to use one monitor at a time. When I plug in the first monitor it powers up and the display extends. But when I plug in the second monitor it does not power up nor display. The first monitor continues to function. But when I remove the first monitor (with both plugged in) monitor 2 magically powers up and begins displaying.

I know that each monitor is functioning properly as they each work when I plug them into the laptop by themselves.

Both monitors are also being recognized under “Display Adapters” in Device Manager. But only one of the external monitors is being recognized in the “Display Settings”.

I have updated to the most recent DisplayLink driver so I should be good on that front. But for some reason I am only able to use one of these monitors at a time.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get both operating at once? Is this a known limitation of the DL-125 chip?

Thank you all so much for the help!

Last edited by alevine93; 12-05-2017 at 05:20 PM. Reason: Formatting
alevine93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 07:58 PM   #2
Stepinsky

Default Had the same issue

I had the same issue when running my Lenovo LT1421 (USB2) together with an Asus 168+ (USB3). When I connect both monitors to my ThinkPad,
only one monitor is working at a time. It was not a power issue. I verified that with a self powered USB hub.
Both monitors were running without any problems when my ThinkPad was sitting in the original docking station, which has an additional build-in USB hub. I was running the LT1421 from USB ports at the back of the docking station and my Asus was connected directly to one of the USB3 ports of my notebook.
Running two of the Asus 168+ directly from my notebook is working flawlessly.

So I suppose it's an USB hub or bridge issue, maybe related to different USB modes dependent on what you connect. If both monitors are sharing the same hub, they're interfering. If you put them on different hubs or bridges, they cooperate. Or it's a driver issue with the display link drivers and older chip models.
I couldn't figure it out and so I'm using the dual Asus setup when working on the road and having the need for a three screen setup.
Stepinsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 12:50 AM   #3
alevine93

Default Is there any way?

Thank you so much for the reply.

Is there any way, that you know of, to adjust the USB bridge? Or possibly an adapter that would work for “tricking” the USB Port?
Old 12-06-2017, 02:17 PM   #4
AlbanRampon

Arrow

Hello,

There is no technical limitation on the DisplayLink driver, DisplayLink IC, USB standard or Windows 10, which wouldn't allow two devices of the same IC to work in tandem.
Actually, this is a demonstration we've been doing for years at tradeshows. Last year, we did 6x 4Kp60 over a single USB 3.0 Type-A at Consumer Electronic Show (by daisy-chaining) because we were told the maximum possible was a couple and only over Type-C...

But, as with every post I answer in the forums, I would ask for the logs collected in the failure state before I can comment on that particular case. The last link of my forum signature explains how to use the tool and you can post in your reply as only employees can download ZIP attachments.

Regards,
Alban

Where to download the latest DisplayLink drivers
How to clean up a corrupted installation
How to report issues to DisplayLink for a speedy resolution
AlbanRampon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 11:17 PM   #5
alevine93

Default Zip attached

Hi Albin,

Thank you for the assistance. Attached is the log from the support tool. I am not running into any "failures" in the instillation that I can see.

Please advise!

Thanks,
Alex
Attached Files
File Type: zip CPX-IXKID256KUY_20171206_170156.zip (1.38 MB, 2 views)
Old 12-06-2017, 11:27 PM   #6
AlbanRampon

Hello,
I'd need the devices connected when collecting the logs, please. Were they?
System details shows 0 device using DisplayLink technology plugged in so I can't see what is wrong in this state... Except there's no DisplayLink service connected.
Regards,
Alban

Old 12-07-2017, 12:21 AM   #7
alevine93

Default Sorry about that

Hi Albin,

I apologize, I misunderstood the instruction. They were not connected in the previous post's log.

Please find the new log attached with BOTH monitors plugged in (and only 1 working).
Attached Files
File Type: zip CPX-IXKID256KUY_20171206_181757.zip (1.81 MB, 1 views)
Old 12-07-2017, 08:35 AM   #8
AlbanRampon

Arrow

Hello,

Thank you for the new logs.
There are two devices. These are not public end products but they identified as prototypes.
I'm not sure where you got these from, but they don't seem properly personalised and I think it is why only one works at a time.

I advise you contact the person you got these prototypes from. I am not able to support non-released products on public forums.

Kind regards,
Alban

Old 12-07-2017, 10:48 PM   #9
alevine93

Default Can I PM?

Hi Albin,

I have messaged the controller board supplier for more details.

Is there anyway that I can PM you with additional questions? I would like to see if I can possibly personalize the boards on my own?

Thanks,
Alex
Old 12-08-2017, 08:27 AM   #10
AlbanRampon

Arrow

Hello,

The development tools are only legally shareable with OEM/ODM with an executed non-disclosure agreement with DisplayLink. We must protect our intellectual property and users.
From your generic domain name email address, I will not be able to share this in public or private messaging.

Also, they are not authorised to share it with you either. Please don't ask for this and request them to send you something they have checked works.

Kind regards,
Alban {dot Rampon at mycompany dot com}

Tags
dl-125, dual displays, monitor, usb 2.0