Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Windows Software

Old 08-11-2015, 10:59 AM   #1
atimexod

Default Targus dock doesn't detect DisplayLink under Windows 10 on Surface Pro

First, the hardware details:

Device: Microsoft Surface Pro
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro (fully updated and upgraded from 8.1 Pro)
DisplayLink Device: Targus ACP70USZ

Information:

This device won't detect DisplayLink video output at all. The USB 3.0/2.0 hub works. Upon installing the DisplayLink v7.9M0 driver, it comes to the point where it says to connect the dock for First Connect configuration. Connecting the USB 3.0 cable simply waits forever. Skipping that part of installation and rebooting doesn't show the USB Display device in Device Manager.

I tried this same Targus dock with another Windows 7 machine, and it detects it just fine at the First Connect stage, and it also ends up showing properly in Device Manager. Incidentally, the Targus site has a firmware download for the ACP70USZ dock. When the dock is connected to the Microsoft Surface Pro/Windows 10 Pro device, the firmware updater detects the dock, displays the proper latest firmware version v4401, and allows the firmware to be flashed. So the dock itself can apparently be detected, but not by DisplayLink's driver software.

Solution?

Last edited by atimexod; 08-11-2015 at 11:08 AM.
atimexod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 01:51 PM   #2
CollignonD

Default HP with Targus ACP70eu

Afternoon atimexod

I had the same issue with my HP Probook470 and Targus ACP70eu docking station.

Here is how I solved it mine

1. Uninstalled the display link software from Control panel
2. Ran the cleaner tool, http://www.displaylink.com/downloads/sla.php?fileid=121 twice just to be sure
3. Disconnected docking station from Laptop
4. Ran the installer for the DisplayLink_7.9M0 drivers
5. When asks to connect, plug in docking station, and dose not pick up docking station
6. Remove power from docking station for +- 1min
7. Plug in power again, and it detected the docking station and the setup continued and finished successfully

Mine is working fine now.

Hope this helps with yours
CollignonD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 08:26 PM   #3
CollignonD

Afternoon

I had the same issue with my HP Probook 470 and managed to get it solved in the following way

1. Uninstalled the Display link software from control panel
2. Ran the cleaner found on the display link site
3. Disconnected docking station from PC
4. rebooted to make sure good windows boot
5. ran install for DisplayLink v7.9M0
6. when prompted to connect docking station plugged in usb cable
7. disconnected dock power and waited for 1-2 min
8. reconnected power and software detected dock and finished installation

Seems to be working fine now
CollignonD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 07:36 AM   #4
atimexod

That didn't work for me. However I did find while troubleshooting that if I use a USB 2.0 cable instead of 3.0 to plug the dock into the Surface Pro, it detects fine, all the HUB ports work, as well as the NIC and Video output (though at 2.0 speed). USB 3.0 devices plugged directly into the Surface Pro's USB 3.0 work fine too, at 3.0 speeds.

Also I should say that I tried dock with USB 3.0 cable into another machine and it works with 3.0 just fine no problems.

So perhaps there is a USB 3.0 issue specifically with this dock and/or DisplayLink on Surface Pro upgraded to Windows 10 Pro??

Last edited by atimexod; 08-14-2015 at 07:38 AM.
atimexod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 03:42 PM   #5
vhorne

Default Same problem

I'm experiencing the same problem with the exact same hardware.

Update:
Just got it working, no idea why, but here is what happened:

1. After several attempts of installing/uninstalling the driver, I just let it set at the "First Connect" stage. Got busy doing something else, so it sat there like that for several hours.
2. When I came back and noticed that it was still at the "First Connect" stage, I unplugged the power to the Targus and plugged it back in. I had tried this many times before with no success, but this time it recognized the device and completed the installation.

Again, I had tried this many times before with no luck, so why it worked this time is a mystery. So much for the old adage about insanity: I tried the same thing and DID get different results! :-)

Last edited by vhorne; 08-19-2015 at 10:34 PM.
vhorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 05:00 PM   #6
mwkirk

Default Having the same problem

Mine has been doing the same with the Surface Pro. I seem to be able to get it to work if I uninstall and then run the program DisplayLink has to clean everything from the registry. At this point I can re-install and then when it gets to detecting I can power off/power on maybe 10 times and eventually get it to recognize. So, once it does this then it works fine but then when I pack up to go home and then plug it in again it will now work unless i go through this same process again. I have the driver release 7.9M2 and have been just checking back to see if a new driver has been released that might help the issue. Then I found the forums and thought I would ask in case someone has found a better way. I have not tried the USB2 cable which I would imagine the display might be pretty choppy using USB2. Anyone found a better fix yet?

Thanks
mwkirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 11:34 AM   #7
JamesH

Hi all,

It's possible that you may be hitting this issue:
http://targusblog.com/2015/01/16/tar...em-51-defects/

Please check the item number on your dock and if your dock is affected reach out to Targus for a replacement.

If your dock is not affected please let me know.

Thanks,
James
JamesH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 09:27 PM   #8
mwkirk

Default Mine is item number 51

Let me give Targus a call seems I have an old dock. Fingers crossed that this fixes it.
Old 10-20-2015, 01:28 PM   #9
mwkirk

I did call Targus and they had me go through the standard stuff. They were telling me that the issue with the different versions of the dock were thermal related and should not have anything to do with the Windows 10 Upgrade. Targus ended up saying they would RMA the dock but then I have had it for longer than the warranty period. So, if I think it is the version number of the dock in my case I will need to just buy another one...Either Targus or another brand if I can figure if anyone is using a particular brand with no issues with a Surface Pro/Windows 10.
Old 10-27-2015, 08:56 PM   #10
mwkirk

I ended up getting one of the new Dell Docks and that works fine with the Surface. I just plugged it in and it worked.

Tags
acp70usz, targus, windows 10