Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Enabled Products > What to buy?

Old 01-17-2022, 09:16 AM   #1
fgabrieli

Default Connect a 4K monitor to MBP 2019 with overheat issue

Hi, i have a MBP 2019 with the characteristics listed below. It has the identified issue by which when a second monitor is connected to it, the GPU temperature grows very fast triggering a "defense" mechanism implemented by Apple to reduce it; it uses a process called "kernel_task" which emulates consuming all available core resources until the temperature drops (in the meantime, computer is of course unusable)

I'm connecting the MBP using an adapter from USB-C to DisplayPort and finally the DisplayPort to the monitor itself, an LG 27'' 4K, identified in the market as "LG 27UL500"

Someone mentioned when i asked in the Apple Forums to try DisplayLink to avoid the issue mentioned before. I would like to ask you first if i understood correctly, in very broad terms, what you are doing: a kernel driver must be installed in my MBP which in turn will work along with a physical device (dock station) which will use the CPU to do the rendering for the extended display INSTEAD of the GPU that uses now for the same purpose. Is this correct?

If so, what dock station do you recommend me to buy? Below are my MBP specs.

Link to issue described in Apple forums: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251715169

My Mac specs:
MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2019)
2,3 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9
16 GB 2400 MHz DDR4
Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB

thanks in advance, any help is much appreciated
Fernando G.
fgabrieli is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
displaylink, displaylink 4k, mac, macbook pro 2019