Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Windows Software
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-26-2013, 06:19 AM   #1
drueter

Default UM-710S on Win8...almost

I am trying to get my UM-710S running on my new Windows 8 machine.

I have the DisplayLink drivers and core software loaded (current versions, downloaded tonight).

I have current versions of the NVIDIA drivers installed (downloaded tonight)

I have followed the diagnostic steps on HOWTO: Debugging issues on Windows with DisplayLink--and everything seems fine.

The DisplayLink tray icon is working.

The LED and backlight on the Mimo respond to connect/disconnect of the monitor via the tray icon.

If the monitor is active and I stop the DisplayLink software, the monitor cycles through test patterns.

The only problem is that no image displays on the monitor. It is just a black screen (with backlight on).

I have tried uninstalling, rebooting, re-installing the driver several times.

I have used the diagnostic tool to capture a log--see attached file.

Any ideas on what to try next? It seems like it is so close to working... I hate to give up now.
Attached Files
File Type: zip JOSHDESKTOP_20130425_230329.zip (855.1 KB, 0 views)
drueter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 01:52 PM   #2
Wim

It sounds like it is not getting enough power from the USB hub to be bus powered. These screens are pretty power hungry. I have one on my desk and it works fine connected to the PC, but connecting it to an externally powered hub means it sometimes goes blank as I think it cannot get the power it needs over USB.

Wim
Wim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 08:25 PM   #3
drueter

Thank you for the suggestion about power, but the monitor is still not working.

I tried using a USB Y-cable to pull power from two different USB ports--both directly on the motherboard, and from a beefy Belkin powered USB hub. The results were the same: everything seems fine (LED and backlight respond properly to software control), but there is no video display.

Windows definitely sees the second monitor: I can move the mouse over to the extended desktop (though of course I cannot see the cursor or anything else on the black screen).

The only other strange thing I noticed is that Windows shows a third monitor--a Generic Non-PNP. I think that is just for HDMI out on the NVIDEA card, though only one monitor is connected. (The NVIDIA GT 630 card provides two DVI and one HDMI out on the back of the card. My monitor is connected to one of the DVI ports. Nothing is connected to the HDMI or second DVI port.)

The motherboard does have on-board video, but that is disabled and no drivers are installed.

Previously, sometimes at shutdown or startup of Windows the display would spontaneously switch to the other DVI port (with no monitor attached)--requiring the cable to be moved. I have not seen this happen with the latest NVIDIA drivers.

Also, when the DisplayLink monitor is installed and enabled, sometimes windows (such as a Windows Explorer window) seem to open on that display (though not visible). Disabling the DisplayLink monitor properly moves the window back to the working DVI-connected monitor.

Just to clarify, if I click the Identify button on the Windows Display Resolution control panel, I still don't see anything on the DisplayLink monitor. Also, to clarify, the monitor still works fine on other computers...so this is not a hardware problem with the monitor.

The operating system is Win 8 64 Ultimate, and is a fairly new / clean install without much 3rd party software installed.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Last edited by drueter; 04-26-2013 at 08:31 PM.
drueter is offline   Reply With Quote