Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > Alpha, Beta Software Testing Programs > Closed Alpha and Beta Programs > CLOSED: 5.2 Software Release

Old 11-13-2009, 05:25 AM   #1
jaddison

Default [SOLVED] Lenovo W500 with Lenovo USBtoDVI and Samsung 24" 2433BW - BLANK screen

specs:
- Lenovo W500
- Samsung 24" 2433BW LCD monitor (native resolution is 1920x1200; works find using my DisplayPort to DVI adapter)
- Lenovo USB to DVI DisplayLink adapter
- Windows 7, 64bit
- 4GB RAM
- DisplayLink-5.2.21675.exe installed, from the DisplayLink.org site

I can't get anything but a blank screen to show up on the Samsung LCD. When I plug it into the adapter, the screen looks like it's on (the power light isn't flashing anymore), but the screen remains blank/black.

If I go into the Screen Resolution dialog, it is automatically set to "extended". If I try to change it to "clone", I get an error "unable to save display settings". Also, the monitor attached to the adapter is identified as "Generic non-pnp monitor", and it should most definitely say "Samsung".

I am willing to test beta versions of drivers to help resolve the issue. I appreciate any help provided.

Thank you,
James

Last edited by jaddison; 11-15-2009 at 11:21 PM. Reason: wanted to mark the issue reported as solved (well, decent workaround)
Old 11-13-2009, 02:56 PM   #2
segfault

I have the same computer and same issue, and haven't figured out a solution yet:

http://displaylink.org/forum/showthread.php?t=140

You may want to post logs here so the developers can try to diagnose the issue.
Old 11-13-2009, 05:10 PM   #3
jaddison

Question

Thanks for the advice, segfault. I presumed that since yours was XP and mine is Win7, the driver models are very different. Maybe the same solution will fix both our problems... or not. It's just more exposure, I suppose.

One other thing I wanted to mention: if I click on the system tray icon to display the menu, the "DisplayLink Manager" option is grayed out. I don't know if it matters or not.

How does one generate and submit debug logs? I'd like to help.
Old 11-13-2009, 06:37 PM   #4
segfault

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaddison View Post
Thanks for the advice, segfault. I presumed that since yours was XP and mine is Win7, the driver models are very different. Maybe the same solution will fix both our problems... or not. It's just more exposure, I suppose.

One other thing I wanted to mention: if I click on the system tray icon to display the menu, the "DisplayLink Manager" option is grayed out. I don't know if it matters or not.

How does one generate and submit debug logs? I'd like to help.
I'm seeing the same behavior with "DisplayLink Manager" being grayed out.

In terms of log collection, you may want to start here:

http://www.displaylink.com/support/ticket.php?id=269

Then, follow the directions in this post in my related forum thread:

http://displaylink.org/forum/showpos...88&postcount=3

Hopefully both of those sets of logs will be a good starting point for the developers, although I've posted both of those myself already in the other thread and haven't gotten a response.
Old 11-14-2009, 03:33 PM   #5
Martin

Hi jaddison,

Please ensure that the laptop is running in Integrated or Discrete Graphics mode. If it is running in Switchable mode, then it will not work. This is a known problem (lack of multiple graphics adapter support) and will hopefully improve with the next release (just a few weeks away).

Martin
Old 11-15-2009, 11:16 PM   #6
jaddison

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin View Post
Please ensure that the laptop is running in Integrated or Discrete Graphics mode. If it is running in Switchable mode, then it will not work. This is a known problem (lack of multiple graphics adapter support) and will hopefully improve with the next release (just a few weeks away).
Thanks a lot, Martin - that did the trick for me. I'll appreciate having Switchable Graphics support when it's ready, but it isn't a big deal for me as I have to have my system in Discrete in order to use my DisplayPort output anyhow.

Thanks again.
James
Old 11-25-2009, 02:21 PM   #7
eemond

Default Still a 'Blink' Problem For Me

Different specs, same 'blink' problem:

Lenovo ThinkPad T500 Model 2242-7UU
WinXP Pro SP3
Advanced Docking Station - 250310U
Lenovo USD-to-DVI Monitor Adapter - 45K5296
Dell Monitor - E771a
DisplayLink Graphics Adapter - 6.12.10.9
DisplayLink Mirror Adapter - 6.13.10.9

My BIOS Setup Config/Display only has the following options:

Default Primary Video Device ( PCI Express or Internal )
Boot Display Device ( ThinkPad LCD or Digital DVI or Analog(VGA) )

Suggestions?
Thanks...

Tags
blank, lenovo, samsung, w500, windows 7