Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Windows Software

Old 08-01-2019, 02:45 PM   #11
elmorekevin

Alban,

Any new information you can share from case 30130?

Thanks,
Kevin
elmorekevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 08:43 AM   #12
AlbanRampon

Arrow

Hello Kevin, stvlada,

We have sourced a machine identical to stvlada.
From what we can see, the CPU usage is not high, nor is it significantly different than on the previous version of Windows 10. The difference in CPU load is marginal. The results observed in our labs are in line with screenshots received from stvlada.
What has visibly changed is that Microsoft added a label in Task Manager, and that label says high... but nothing else is running, and computing any pixel and encoding them does cost some resource, whatever the connection mode and whether you can see it in Task Manager or not. On my machine, yesterday I saw Task Manager as High on that label at with 4% CPU, leading us to believe that that label shows relative power, not absolute power.

The problem we see is the fan change, despite the lack of significant change of CPU load between these versions of Windows 10.
The fan is supposed to be controlled by temperature. Temperature tends to come from computing load, from total power usage (not relative to other apps).
We don't yet understand why the fan behaves very differently, when the load is similar. It suggests there's something else.

The next step is for us to consult with Microsoft for advice on profiling what triggers the fan: is there a load invisible in Task Manager, is the marginal CPU difference really warrant that fan impact, is there another component counted in that power label, or something else...

Kind regards,
Alban

Where to download the latest DisplayLink drivers
How to clean up a corrupted installation
How to report issues to DisplayLink for a speedy resolution
AlbanRampon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 06:16 PM   #13
stvlada

Alban, thank you for your feedback and through explanation. It would be nice to figure out what triggers the fan spinning.
If internet browsers are used, like Chrome, it is obvious that WUDFHost will starts kicking into the load/heat and fan will be triggered. Those symptoms are usually not there when laptop is not connected to the dock station.

When we can expect to get an answer from Microsoft and more details on investigation from their end?
stvlada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 06:52 PM   #14
iionas

Quote:
Originally Posted by stvlada View Post
Hi, I do have same issue with my D3100 docking station.
Just on moving mouse I'm getting higher CPU usage, and I'm getting my CPU fan start spinning. While doing just basic things, browsing, reading documents, working in MS Office. I'm using two monitors also.
When my laptop is not connected to the D3100, no issues.

My configuration is:
1. Laptop HP Pavillion 17"
2. Intel i7 - 6700HQ
3. Windows 10 x64 1809, release date November 13.2018
4. Dell D3100 docking station
5. DisplayLink 9.0.1809.0
6. Connected via USB 3 port

Thanks
Thought id Quickly jump in

Im using a displaylink d3100 via usb3.0 also and experiencing same sort of issues here.

CPU usage high and Win Driver foundation at it in the background.

The setup iam running is a 7700hq / gtx1060. I do majority cad work and the display link is used as an output for my third monitor.

On bootup it is fine temps are low and normal, however within 10-15 mins of use it gets higher and higher, somewhere between 10-15c more than usual, including on the GTX also. I also look at power draw and its very significant. Now before we go any further, this is a fresh up to date 1903 install hours old.

Ive been using this since 1709 and the temperatures and cpu multiplier rates were never this bad once the drivers are updated or the dock is being used.

Ive been pulling my hair out, tried old drivers, new drivers but nothing. While im using the dock i hit temperatures of 75+ while doing simple autocad saves.

Without the dock plugged in or installed temps drop 30-15 degrees.

So.. Any news? I dont want to get rid of it, its only 11 months old.
iionas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 06:58 PM   #15
iionas

Quote:
Originally Posted by iionas View Post

Im using a displaylink d3100 via usb3.0 also and experiencing same sort of issues here.

The setup iam running is a 7700hq / gtx1060. I do majority cad work and the display link is used as an output for my third monitor.

On bootup it is fine temps are low and normal, however within 10-15 mins of use it gets higher and higher, somewhere between 10-15c more than usual, including on the GTX also. I also look at power draw and its very significant. Now before we go any further, this is a fresh up to date 1903 install hours old.

Ive been using this since 1709 and the temperatures and cpu multiplier rates were never this bad once the drivers are updated or the dock is being used.

Ive been pulling my hair out, tried old drivers, new drivers but nothing. While im using the dock i hit temperatures of 75+ while doing simple autocad saves.

Also to add, the laptop is liquid metal cooled and undervolted, before we go down the “your laptop may be at fault route”
Old 08-09-2019, 10:30 AM   #16
tokahl

Quote:
Originally Posted by iionas View Post

Same problem here.
After few minutes it is not possible to work with the docking station anymore.
tokahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 12:38 PM   #17
iionas

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokahl View Post
Same problem here.
After few minutes it is not possible to work with the docking station anymore.
Hoping someone gets back to us. I’m habkng to not use it anymore
Old 08-12-2019, 02:54 AM   #18
iionas

Alright guys,

So Ive been playing with the said 'workaround' for couple daysd and my temps are back to normal.

My initial finding is that the D3100 clocks the GPU to base speeds, so In my case it would clock it to 1404mhz without having to need to, as I checked use the load is virtually 0 on desktop and even using programs.

Yes the GPU will power all displays end of the day however theres no need for it to stay cranked all the time, generally what ive noticed once clocked up 1405mhz it starts to bring cpu temps up also (as expected).

SO!... Ive been using this tool called nvidia inspector. Link: https://pcgamesbeat.blogspot.com/201...-gpus.html?m=1

Basically I turn it on, turn on muti-display function as described and i just pushed a threshold to 20/20%. And all of a sudden, boom normal temperatures.

Basically what it does is it downclocks the gpu as it normally should (no need for gpu to stay clocked all the way when not doing work. (obviously it should vary).

I have tested it for the past 3 days to make sure it is good and I can still make use of it when it needs to be used at higher power states / function.

This is NOT a fix, this is a workaround if you have a nvidia gpu.

Ive dropped temperatures by 17-30 degrees on both cpu and gpu.

Hope they fix it so we dont have to run this particular thing but for now it allows me to still use this dock.

Any questions id be glad to help, If you guys need I can make a video and upload it explaining more.
Old 08-12-2019, 06:14 AM   #19
stvlada

I’ll test what you have described but please can you check the download link of the tool, it looks unavailable?
stvlada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 07:53 AM   #20
iionas

Quote:
Originally Posted by stvlada View Post
I’ll test what you have described but please can you check the download link of the tool, it looks unavailable?
My apologies, link again is here:

https://pcgamesbeat.blogspot.com/201...-gpus.html?m=1