Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Linux and Open Source

Old 12-19-2016, 01:07 PM   #11
Joachim Martillo

Default Working but sluggish with HDMI

I have been distracted with certification testing and have not had a chance to spend any time on this problem. Chromium was upgraded over the weekend, and now it has the same problem as Chrome. Now I have a place to start looking. (Chromium 55.0.2883.87 versus earlier versions.) And I have a fairly good idea of the nature of the problem.

Mozilla Firefox does not exhibit any sluggishness issue.

I'm free on the 27th if I pass.

Using the HDMI connector did not make a difference in the sluggishness problem on my system, but I am using the D1000 docking station and Ubuntu 16.10 (on an XPS-13). Thus I have an HDMI-to-HDMI connector between the HannStar Display and the D1000, which connects to the XPS-13 through the USB-C connector.

Last edited by Joachim Martillo; 12-19-2016 at 01:18 PM.
Joachim Martillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 01:51 PM   #12
cram01

Default Still a problem!

Hello everyone,
I have a Dell XPS 13 9360 and I am using ist with the Dockingstation D3100. I have connected 2 NEC Multisync EA221WMe via HDMI-DVI connectors. I experience the same problems: every software based on the chrome-engine (Chromium, Chrome, Vivaldi, Atom) is very slow. But only on the external monitors. If I use the same application on the laptop-screen it works fine. If I put it onto one of the NECs it is becoming unusable. Other applications are free from these problems but I admit, that there are slight delays as well which is noticeable when writing in textareas in Firefox for example.
One thing is really weird: When the window of the Chrome-Browser reaches into the laptop-screen, the slowness disappears on the NEC-screen!

I have installed ubuntu 16.04 and the displaydriver version 1.3.52. The USB-port is installed as USB 3.0 device. Network, keyboard and mouse connected to the same docking device are working fine.
cram01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 08:56 AM   #13
phandrens

Default Mint 18.1 works perfectly

I have the ASUS MB169B+ 1080p monitor, and use it via the USB3 cable on an Acer Aspire S 13 that dual boots Windows 10 and Ubuntu 16.04.

Upgrading to Ubuntu 16.10, or 17.04 caused unacceptable performance slowdowns.

I installed Mint 18.1 and the latest DisplayLink drivers. They installed without the dependency issues I had on Ubuntu, and the monitor is running perfectly. 1080p video works fine, brightness controls work. I am very Happy.

Mint 18.1 is based on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS but updates to a later Kernel, I think
phandrens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 11:54 PM   #14
Joachim Martillo

Creating or editing /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf to contain the following solves the problem I was seeing.

[Note I also upgraded Ubuntu 17.04 64-bit and am using version v1.3.52 of DisplayLink USB Graphics Software for Ubuntu.]

Section "Device"
Identifier "Intel Graphics"
Driver "Intel"
EndSection
Joachim Martillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 06:38 AM   #15
galeon

I would say "solve" since in my experience with a D3100 and an XPS13 the performance with an additional monitor attached is not what it used to be. But hey, still better than 1FPS and the absolute zero support that is happening here at the moment regarding this issue.
galeon is offline   Reply With Quote