Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > Alpha, Beta Software Testing Programs > Closed Alpha and Beta Programs > CLOSED: 5.5 Software Release
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-01-2010, 11:56 PM   #1
Boolsheet

Default Possible driver issue with LÖVE

I've experienced system freezes with the DisplayLink driver (5.4, 5.5b2 and 5.5 final) in combination with LÖVE (http://www.love2d.org) on Windows. Now I'm trying to figure out if it's caused by the DislayLink driver, LÖVE or something else, like the graphics driver. I ask here because uninstalling the DisplayLink driver solves the problem and it seems it's very rare for LÖVE users.

Does anybody else get system freezes with the following steps? If yes, does it help if you uninstall the DisplayLink driver?

Warning: Your system may freeze completely trying this. Make sure you reboot if you installed anything system critical or the freeze may clear data in the cache, which prevents Windows from normal booting.

1. Download LÖVE (http://www.love2d.org). The zipped package will do.
2. Download a script, like the AutoBenchmark (Attachment in the first post).
3. Drag and drop the .love file onto love.exe.
4. Switch focus between other windows or/and minimize the LÖVE window a few times.
After 5 or 6 switches the system freezes and can only be restarted with the power/reset button.

OS: Windows Vista (64 bit) with Service Pack 2 and all patches
CPU: Core i7 920
GPU: ATI Radeon HD 4870 (Catalyst 10.9)
RAM: 6 GB
DisplayLink Device: Samsung UbiSync7

Thanks for the help.
Old 10-11-2010, 04:48 PM   #2
Wim

Hi

I've tried this and it seemed to work fine for me on an Intel based system. Were you running it in Aero or Basic mode?

It would be interesting to know if anyone else finds the same problem.

Thanks

Wim
Old 10-11-2010, 07:21 PM   #3
Boolsheet

Hey Wim.

Quote:
Were you running it in Aero or Basic mode?
Basic.

I noticed the crash only happens on minimizing the LÖVE window (I think).
Also I did install Vista on a second partition to test if it's my specific configuration of the system. Pretty much the default Vista with latest patches, chipset drivers, Catalyst 10.9 and the DisplayLink 5.5 driver, but I get the same thing. Actually, this time a bluescreen pops up... sometimes. It seems the DisplayLink and ATI driver take turns crashing; one time in dlkmd.sys and then in atikmdag.sys.

It gets more weird. After testing around with the fresh installation I booted back up into my old Vista, tried it once more and now it works there. For now at least.
Feels like I'm opening up the gates to debug hell.

It's probably faulty/incompatible hardware on my end if nobody else gets this, but I don't have any free resources to test with another graphics card at this time. I'll ask the manufacturer if there's a BIOS update for the 4870 card (Edit: I already have the latest BIOS on the card).

Thanks.

Last edited by Boolsheet; 10-15-2010 at 04:50 PM.