Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Windows Software
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-2012, 03:28 AM   #1
corig1

Default New displaylink device and some issues/questions

Hi. I have one of these (the dynadock usb 3.0, Model PA3927U-1PRP) and installed it today and noticed a few issues I was hoping someone could assist with.

I have a w520 w/Intel and Nvidia Optimus, Win 7 x64, and with an external LCD connected via the displayport connection and a usb 3.0 connected dynadock with a samsung LED connected via the HDMI connection.

I noticed a few issues using the latest (6.3) software:

1. On my w520 the native audio 'smart audio' tool fails to launch with an initialization error when the dynadock is connected. The workaround is to use the system utilities to control the audio.

2. Fit to Screen. I can use the Fit to Screen utility to change the screen size of the Samsung that is connected to the displaylink device, the screen size changes but when I exit the tool the setting is not applied. When I reenter the tool the size I set is still there.

3. Icons on wrong side of desktop going from duplicate to extend mode between the connected displays. The icons were on the secondary desktop instead of the primary desktop.

4. Why does the displaylink icon only show in the notification tray when a display is connected? It would be nice if it was there whenever the displaylink device was connected

5. A power button would be nice ;-) barring that, some sort of working (there is a thread on this from Jan of this year, actually for another displaylink device I think oops, my model I think has no power options for the unit) sleep for the device would be nice. the missing power button seems a huge oversight.

6. Is there anyway to not have the desktop reset (icons repositioned) everytime the same display is plugged into the device? Especially given item 5 where a workaround of disconnecting the display device was suggested in order for the displaylink device to be able to go into a sleep mode or item 7 regarding protected content.

7. With the displaylink device connected and a display connected via HDMI but not active, the Nvidia CPL reports that HDCP does not work for the laptop's builtin Nvidia Optimus video device in the current configuration (this is probably Nvidia and partially by design I would guess, I just want to try to clarify whether this is to be expected, and I read the displaylink device does also support HDCP, but what to do if both devices are plugged in but only one display or connection active. Does this work like that? How would one watch a protected BD on another display or if the displaylink device is connected and a display plugged in, must you watch protected content then on the displaylink device or always unlug the display connected to the displaylink device to use another display?)

What are the power saving capabilities of the displaylink device itself? Does it even have any power saving or option to turn it off?

Is the internal USB device interface to the graphics device USB 2.0 or USB 3.0? Is it a USB 3.0 speed path between the graphics device and the pc when using a USB 3.0 port?

I mainly want the device for streaming audio but it would be great if these other items worked as well. This was an expensive way to stream audio like I want :-), just wish it were 7.1.

Thanks!!! I hope this isn't too much of a list ;-). It looks like I am going to have to return the dock because of these items. Wish it all were more polished. The faux power button/indicator still makes me laugh (it does look like a functional touch sensitive power button but it does nothing except glow blue no matter what). I am sort of amazed seeing this device and you can't turn it off and on (I think at least being able to turn it on/off may have helped with some of the items in my list). Neat devices too.

--Wow. 60 something reads and not one response from an admin.

Last edited by corig1; 05-25-2012 at 02:44 PM. Reason: Add model,edits,additional question
corig1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 04:50 PM   #2
Wim

Sorry for the delay on the responses but its the first time I've looked at the forum today (responding to questions on here is not my primary role, although it might look like it )

Quote:
Originally Posted by corig1 View Post
1. On my w520 the native audio 'smart audio' tool fails to launch with an initialization error when the dynadock is connected. The workaround is to use the system utilities to control the audio.
I suspect this 3rd party app doesn't expect to find another audio device on the PC and gets confused. I don't think this is a DisplayLink issue, but is a fault with that app.

Quote:
2. Fit to Screen. I can use the Fit to Screen utility to change the screen size of the Samsung that is connected to the displaylink device, the screen size changes but when I exit the tool the setting is not applied. When I reenter the tool the size I set is still there.
I guess you mean Fit to TV? This should store the setting... I'll check it on Monday when back in the office.

Quote:
3. Icons on wrong side of desktop going from duplicate to extend mode between the connected displays. The icons were on the secondary desktop instead of the primary desktop.
The icon positions are decided by Windows. This is a known issue and there are plenty of 3rd party apps that try and fix the issue. Have a look at this Microsoft question.

Quote:
4. Why does the displaylink icon only show in the notification tray when a display is connected? It would be nice if it was there whenever the displaylink device was connected
The icon is only shown when there is a monitor to control, so we're not cluttering up the system tray. The exception is the iPad app, where you need to configure a password using the GUI before you can connect the monitor (iPad).

Quote:
5. A power button would be nice ;-) barring that, some sort of working (there is a thread on this from Jan of this year, actually for another displaylink device I think oops, my model I think has no power options for the unit) sleep for the device would be nice. the missing power button seems a huge oversight.
In my 6+ years at DisplayLink, I think you are the first user to ask for a power button on the dock! The idea is that the dock can be hidden at the back of your desk, and you just plug the cable when you want to use it. The unit knows when its not being used, as the USB VBUS is disconnected and this can be used to turn off the dock components, in the same way a soft power button would work. If you really want to turn it off, you can always just pull the power!

Quote:
6. Is there anyway to not have the desktop reset (icons repositioned) everytime the same display is plugged into the device? Especially given item 5 where a workaround of disconnecting the display device was suggested in order for the displaylink device to be able to go into a sleep mode or item 7 regarding protected content.
See answers above

Quote:
7. With the displaylink device connected and a display connected via HDMI but not active, the Nvidia CPL reports that HDCP does not work for the laptop's builtin Nvidia Optimus video device in the current configuration (this is probably Nvidia and partially by design I would guess, I just want to try to clarify whether this is to be expected, and I read the displaylink device does also support HDCP, but what to do if both devices are plugged in but only one display or connection active. Does this work like that? How would one watch a protected BD on another display or if the displaylink device is connected and a display plugged in, must you watch protected content then on the displaylink device or always unlug the display connected to the displaylink device to use another display?)
That sounds like a problem that I would need to check with an engineer. However we're all based in Cambridge in the UK, its nearly 6pm on a Friday, its over 77F outside and there is a beer festival. As a result, there is not anyone I can check with at the moment...

I don't think we should affect the HDCP status of the primary screen. The dock is HDCP ready, however HDCP is not turned on by default. This will be done in a later release.

Quote:
What are the power saving capabilities of the displaylink device itself? Does it even have any power saving or option to turn it off?
Yes - parts of the dock can automatically power themselves down based on whether the USB cable is connected or a monitor is connected.

Quote:
Is the internal USB device interface to the graphics device USB 2.0 or USB 3.0? Is it a USB 3.0 speed path between the graphics device and the pc when using a USB 3.0 port?
The DL-3900 in your device has a USB 3.0 input.

Quote:
Neat devices too.
Glad you like it

Wim (who is now off to join the engineers at a beer festival)
Wim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 07:38 PM   #3
corig1

Thanks Wim. Yes, I can see you are busy around the forums ;-). Let me digest this and come back to you. Thanks a lot for your answers. Enjoy the beerfest!! I'm jealous ;-) Cheers
corig1 is offline   Reply With Quote