Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Windows Software
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-12-2012, 12:33 PM   #1
anothergol

Default Problem with DL + MIMO Magic Touch

We just got a MIMO Magic Touch, which we expected to be a more reliable option than virtual screen apps on tablets, even though it's a software solution, it's local & corded afterall.

Sadly, it seems more plug&pray than plug&play.. When it works it's pretty nice, & the touch pretty responsive. But that's the problem, it's when it works, & it rarely does.

It seems to have the same symptoms as described here, in Windows 7, so it's possibly related
http://www.displaylink.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1347

I've spent hours trying to make it work. To start with it's really picky about the USB port itself, on some ports it plugs/unplugs in a quick loop. On others it's just random. Either the device isn't recognized (and installed, or not installed), or it's recognized and doesn't work. When it works it's also very random, sometimes only the screen works, sometimes the touch also works, but in mono-touch. If you unplug & replug it, Windows can't remember that it was the touch monitor, & forwards the clicks to the wrong (main) monitor, & you have to reset all this again. I thought it'd be better when you were switching it off by software, but it seems to be the same deal..

I solved it yesterday in 50min, uninstalling/reinstalling DisplayLink, & it eventually popped up after a ton of black screens (& the touch popped up minutes later..). Next reboot and it's dead again..

I will add: I have 2 USB3 front ports, that's most likely the 2 ones through which it won't work at all (infinite detection loop).
Now I got it to work through one of my back USB ports, where it worked just like the first time, it seems that the very first time an USB port is used for DisplayLink, there's no problem, only a problem when Windows remembers about it..

Last edited by anothergol; 05-12-2012 at 12:50 PM.
anothergol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 09:24 AM   #2
Wim

We don't create the touchscreen driver that comes with this display, so I can't comment on that. But the unreliable connection sounds like the display cannot get enough power from the USB port.

These screens should have been originally shipped with a Y USB cable, so it can get power from 2 USB ports. This is because the display pulls more power than is available from a standard USB port. Most USB ports will supply more power than the USB standard, so the screen will work, but it sounds like this is not the case on the ports you have tried.

I'd try getting a USB Y cable, so you can connect it to 2 USB ports so it can get enough power. It should then reliably start up.

Wim
Wim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 07:32 PM   #3
anothergol

mmh that's weird, so they should have made it USB3?

But still, it works.. or doesn't.. really by luck. Like here, plugged to one of my back USB ports, when I switched it on it was working, but in slow motion (really really slow refresh). I unplugged (from the monitor) & replugged it, & it worked. It's really unpredictable/unreliable.
Old 05-22-2012, 09:29 AM   #4
Wim

The slow refresh sounds like it could be a basic theme issue. Could you try v6.3 to see if this fixes the issue?

Thanks

Wim
Wim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 10:43 AM   #5
anothergol

I've installed 6.3, although the slowness issue has only happened once.

What's sure is that 6.3 is no better as for detection, it's still a neverending (well, sometimes ending, most of the time requiring a reboot) fest of black screens in Windows 7. Which makes me think my problem is really the one described here
http://www.displaylink.org/forum/sho...?t=1347&page=5

Sometimes the screen seems to light up after a couple of black screens, but only to quickly shut down immediately.