Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Linux and Open Source

Old 08-19-2015, 08:45 AM   #1
decibyte

Default Ubuntu 15.04 + Dell D3000

I'm very excited to discover that a Linux driver is finally released, although I understand that it's still work in progress.

I have a Dell XPS 13 (9333) laptop running Ubuntu 15.04 attached to a Dell D3000 USB dock. I also have an external display already connected via the Mini-DP in the laptop.

When I connect the dock, after a while, in the Display Settings, a 3rd display connected to the dock via HDMI appears. I'm able to enable this, but after a short while, it seems like the X server crashes. This happens whether I'm using all 3 displays (the laptop display included) or trying to use only the display connected to the dock. Before X crashes, the curser movement on the dock connected display is very stuttering, as if the refresh rate is ~5Hz, although the display says it's 60Hz.

I've attached my displaylink logs and an extract of my syslog from I plug in the USB dock, through X crash, until I log in again and start a new session.
Attached Files
File Type: zip displaylink.zip (174.5 KB, 1 views)
decibyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 02:40 PM   #2
mlukaszek

Do you see any crashes collected by apport in /var/crash that would be related to DisplayLink or X? You could investigate what's tripping X over. If you see DisplayLink Manager crash please submit here for us to investigate.

Has the DisplayLink-connected screen ever worked for you?

Thanks,
Michal
mlukaszek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 03:20 PM   #3
decibyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlukaszek View Post
Do you see any crashes collected by apport in /var/crash that would be related to DisplayLink or X? You could investigate what's tripping X over. If you see DisplayLink Manager crash please submit here for us to investigate.
Yes. I actually see one for each of them. I've attached both. Please note that timewise they are not related. X crashed for me last afternoon and DisplayLink this morning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlukaszek View Post
Has the DisplayLink-connected screen ever worked for you?
I just tried with another laptop (as it's HDMI only and I don't have an HDMI-MiniDP cable to connect it to my own laptop). It works just fine.
Attached Files
File Type: zip crashes.zip (13.76 MB, 1 views)
Old 08-19-2015, 03:44 PM   #4
decibyte

Okay, I've made some more experiments, just to be sure the problem is not the display.

I removed the DL-connected display and instead moved my regular 2nd display from the Mini-DisplayPort on the laptop to the HDMI port on the DisplayLink dock.

Still the same result: For a couple of seconds my desktop is shown, then X seems to be knocked over by something and I am returned to the lightdm login screen to start a new session.

Also, disregard my comment about the times of the crash files. I thought a separate file was generated per crash, but it seems they are accumulated. I've attached new crash-files (but the X crash file has shrunk, so you may still also want to look at the previous files).
Attached Files
File Type: zip crashes-2.zip (15.69 MB, 1 views)
Old 08-21-2015, 09:36 PM   #5
banderson5586

I was running 15.04 on my XPS12 and had a lot of stability issues so I reverted back to 14.04. Not the answer you're looking for but just and FYI, I'm running 14.04 with the same dock on my XPS12 and it's working great. Occasional "crash" of USB monitors but it recovers in about 1 second.
banderson5586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 09:45 AM   #6
decibyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by banderson5586 View Post
I was running 15.04 on my XPS12 and had a lot of stability issues so I reverted back to 14.04. Not the answer you're looking for but just and FYI, I'm running 14.04 with the same dock on my XPS12 and it's working great. Occasional "crash" of USB monitors but it recovers in about 1 second.
Interesting observation, at least. Although you're right: I'm not really interested in downgrading to Ubuntu 14.04 just for this. I expect the driver will be further developed to also work with recent Ubuntus and kernels.

Btw, my kernel is 3.19.0-26-generic, if that is of any help. That information is probably also included in the crash files.

Tags
d3000, dell, linux, ubuntu