Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Mac Software

Old 06-14-2022, 05:08 PM   #1
onlyleura

Default MacBook Pro, D6000 and dual 4K?

I had been reading up on this before purchasing these new 4K monitors to work with my 2021 16-inch MacBook Pro (M1, MacBookPro18,1) and Dell D6000 Universal Dock. I have downloaded and installed the latest DisplayLink Manager and drivers (1.7.0). The monitors are two LG 32UN550 4K. I have the dock plugged into a USB-C port on the left side of the MacBook, one monitor connected via DisplayPort 1 OUT to HDMI 1 IN and the other monitor connected via HDMI OUT to HDMI 1 IN. I prefer to run in Clamshell mode, since the two 4K monitors are all I need. First of all, I can't seem to drive the Main Display at 60Hz, only 30Hz even though I can get it to full 4K, 3840x2160. As for the Extended Display (2nd monitor), I can only get it up to a scaled resolution of 3008x1692 with no Refresh Rate selection. Of course, what I am trying to achieve is two full 4K 60Hz monitors here. Can I not get there? What else do I need?
onlyleura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 01:07 AM   #2
onlyleura

Following up. I downloaded and installed the latest stable of BetterDisplay (formerly BetterDummy), and also moved away from DisplayPort on the dock. I'm now coming out of HDMI on the MacBook directly, out of HDMI on the dock and to HDMI IN on both monitors. What that gets me to is 3840x2160 on both monitors, with the Main display at 60Hz and the Extended display at 30Hz. Can't get a better refresh rate on the second display, but I guess I'm going to have to live with that, UNLESS someone can tell me that there is another dock out there that would be able to deliver 60Hz 4K on the second monitor.
Old 06-15-2022, 08:13 AM   #3
JanB

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyleura View Post
Following up. I downloaded and installed the latest stable of BetterDisplay (formerly BetterDummy), and also moved away from DisplayPort on the dock. I'm now coming out of HDMI on the MacBook directly, out of HDMI on the dock and to HDMI IN on both monitors. What that gets me to is 3840x2160 on both monitors, with the Main display at 60Hz and the Extended display at 30Hz. Can't get a better refresh rate on the second display, but I guess I'm going to have to live with that, UNLESS someone can tell me that there is another dock out there that would be able to deliver 60Hz 4K on the second monitor.
I use a dock from Kensington, the SD4780P, with 4k@60Hz.

One monitor is connected directly to the MacBook Air M1 (USB-C to DisplayPort adapter), the second monitor to the dock (via the DisplayPort connector).

In addition, I also use BetterDummy in FullScreen Streaming mode to have HiDPI on the monitor connected via DisplayLink and the dock.
JanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 04:43 AM   #4
onlyleura

Thumbs up Solved

Another follow-up and a complete solution.

I tried the HDMI out of the Satechi Pro Hub Max Adapter I already owned, and the second monitor came up to 60Hz. I am now happily at full 4K 60Hz on both monitors. All good. Done deal. Thanks!